PDA

View Full Version : Migration from 32-bit Karmic to 64-bit Karmic

Majicou
March 10th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Greetings to all the Ubuntu people.

I'm a soon-to-be-former student of game development here at my small technical college. This past quarter, we've been using Ubuntu to code projects in OpenSceneGraph and osgBullet. Since I had to do a lot of that coding in the classroom and I don't have a laptop, I got a 250GB 2.5" USB hard drive and installed Karmic Koala on it so I could easily fire it up whether on campus or at home. I had to install the 32-bit version because of the terrible computers the school uses. Here at home, I have a 64-bit system with an Athlon II X4 and 6 GB RAM. Specifically:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6 GHz
RAM: 6 GB DDR2, PC2-6400
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 260 GTX

Windows 7 64-bit is on the internal HD.

So of course, to use all my RAM and for better performance running physics simulations, doing graphics programming and so on, I want to install 64-bit Ubuntu, which of course has to be a clean install. The question is, what's the least painful way to do it? I've had to install an awful lot of packages and compile stuff like OpenSceneGraph, Bullet Physics, and osgBullet. Can I somehow get those things to a new install in a relatively easy way, or do I have to start over?