PDA

View Full Version : 322 Terabits bandwith anyone?

ndefontenay
March 10th, 2010, 05:23 AM
According to this article (http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/09/technology/cisco_internet/index.htm?section=money_latest&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fmoney_latest+%28Latest+ News%29), Cisco has a technology called CRS-3 which will allow this kind of speed.

Sporkman
March 10th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Very fast indeed.

I get 20 mbs.

MasterNetra
March 10th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Nice. But doesn't do you a lick of good if your downloading from a server thats connected via 56k. ;)

uRock
March 10th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Or if your HDD can only write at 1 hundredth that speed. That new router/switch is probably fiber and can handle all of New York City on one strand. That'd be awesome. Of course they'd have to have more than one for redundancy.

uRock
March 10th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Wow, 90k for one router, I'd hate to be the tech that drops one. Job security.

Edit: I like this,

FCC will reveal its plan to increase broadband speeds and access for Americans.

blueshiftoverwatch
March 10th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I'm honestly not all that excited. It will be a LONG time (20 years?) before that's really plausible. For example, Verizon spent a ton of money upgrading their infrastructure to take advantage of Fios, and that's great. But the only problem is, what if you need to connect to a computer that's outside of Verizon's Fios network? That's where the bottleneck will be. Same with this, your ISP might implement CRS-3 but unless most ISP's are it won't matter.

uRock
March 10th, 2010, 06:59 PM
It is Cisco, not NASA. I don't think they'd waste 1.6 billion on making something that isn't needed. With the number of people using iPhones and wannabes, this technology will be useful pretty quickly.

Sporkman
March 10th, 2010, 07:03 PM
It is Cisco, not NASA. I don't think they'd waste 1.6 billion on making something that isn't needed.

OUCH! :lol:

The Toxic Mite
March 10th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I have no need for a 322 Tbit/s modem/router thingy.

uRock
March 10th, 2010, 07:21 PM

You aren't going to spend 90 grand for one in your home?

Lol, It isn't for you, it's for your ISP and most likely for the backbones connecting the rest of the world.

forrestcupp
March 10th, 2010, 07:22 PM

I don't need it, but that doesn't mean I don't want it. ;)

uRock
March 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM
OUCH! :lol:

Well, they did spend a lot of money to design a pen to write in zero gravity, while the Russians shrugged it off and grabbed a pencil.;)

hyperAura
March 10th, 2010, 07:24 PM
well number of internet users increases and at some point using todays infrastructure wont be enough so i think thats great news..

Objekt
March 10th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I'd like to think the CRS-3 will eventually lead to better Internet options in the US, but I won't hold my breath. It's 2010 for crying out loud, and my only "broadband" choices are horrible 1.5 Mbit ADSL, or slightly better 6 Mbit (until too many of my neighbors subscribe) cable. It's nice that backbone providers have a higher-throughput uption, but it's the last mile (or several miles) problem that is still the limiting factor.

2hot6ft2
March 10th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I obviously have no use for it myself but it would be nice if the ISP's could put it to use. They just ran Fibre Optic cable to the house yesterday for a company that said they would NEVER provide broadband where I am. It will be 6 months to a year before they start making services available though.:(

uRock
March 10th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I'd like to think the CRS-3 will eventually lead to better Internet options in the US, but I won't hold my breath. It's 2010 for crying out loud, and my only "broadband" choices are horrible 1.5 Mbit ADSL, or slightly better 6 Mbit (until too many of my neighbors subscribe) cable. It's nice that backbone providers have a higher-throughput uption, but it's the last mile (or several miles) problem that is still the limiting factor.

I guess that is one of the pros of living in a big city with too many rich people. I live in a poor part of town, but our neighborhood has a decent node.

doas777
March 10th, 2010, 08:17 PM
this is just ciscos attempt to break into the backbone market. this kinda product is targeting the multinational telcos that run the long-haul network.
I was amused by teh press propaganda they released on it.

donkyhotay
March 10th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Or if your HDD can only write at 1 hundredth that speed. That new router/switch is probably fiber and can handle all of New York City on one strand. That'd be awesome. Of course they'd have to have more than one for redundancy.

Thats true, I remember when gigabit routers first came out a friend joking about wanting to setup a fileserver that ran completely from RAMdisk so that he could launch a program faster over the network then he could from his local hard drive. It was just a joke and he never did it but sadly it would have actually worked.