PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Add entry to menu.lst automatically?

vicG
March 10th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Hi all

Update Mgr got me a bunch of updates today, including a kernel (2.6.31-20). I was doing something else, and when it prompted me to do something with menu.lst, I accidentally accepted the default, which I think was to keep menu.lst unchanged.

As a result, the new kernel was installed but not added to menu.lst, so I guess I can't boot to it.

Is there a way to tell my computer, "I'm sorry, please make the entries into menu.lst automatically" :D

I guess I could put the entries in manually, but as a beginner, I'm pretty scared to be messing with that file...perhaps if someone has a link to an exceptionally understandable explanation...

Thanks for any tips!

uRock
March 10th, 2010, 05:49 AM
If you can see it in Synaptic as being there, it should work. If it doesn't work you could try reinstalling the kernel.

jocko
March 10th, 2010, 07:58 AM
There are a couple of things you can try:
1. Run this in a terminal to update the old menu.lst:

sudo update-grub
Then check menu.lst to see if the new kernel is listed.
If that didn't work:
2. Run this in a terminal to generate a completely new menu.lst:

sudo mv /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.bak
sudo update-grubCheck the new menu.lst to see if all kernels are listed. Reboot.

kansasnoob
March 10th, 2010, 09:23 AM
If that doesn't work post the output of:

grub-install -v && aptitude show grub|head -4 && aptitude show grub-pc|head -4 && aptitude show grub-common|head -4

And:

ls /boot/grub

And please use code tags as I did by clicking on the # above ;)

vicG
March 11th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Thanks, gents -- update grub didn't make any changes to menu.lst for some reason, but following the backup plan and moving it / generating a new one worked perfectly.

Much appreciated!