PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: BAD GeForce DRIVERS

ubunterooster
March 10th, 2010, 04:24 AM
http://maximumpc.com/article/news/nvidia_removes_linux_solaris_drivers_due_overheati ng_bug

↑I have warned you and cannot in any way be responsible if your card melts.

swoll1980
March 10th, 2010, 04:29 AM
The bug you are speaking of affects Windows machines running a particular driver. It was said the bug may effect 10.04 users, but mine has not climbed over 50 degrees, and that's running it on the performance setting. I notice that article doesn't even mention Windows.

Phrea
March 10th, 2010, 04:30 AM
You gotta love the fanless low budget cards.

ubunterooster
March 10th, 2010, 05:09 AM
The bug you are speaking of affects Windows machines
?
I did not get that from the article, please give a referrence

mine has not climbed over 50 degrees, and that's running it on the performance setting.

Nvidia's own site says it has overheating with some not all, but details are vague

I notice that article doesn't even mention Windows.

because it was not about Windows

swoll1980
March 10th, 2010, 05:11 AM
?

Of course not. Now you have to ask yourself why. Go to the NVIDIA forums if you need reference.

falconindy
March 10th, 2010, 05:12 AM
?
I did not get that from the article, please give a referrence

Nvidia's own site says it has overheating with some not all, but details are vague

The article first mentions the 196 series WHQL driver (Windows), and then says the recall extends to the 195 series Linux drivers as well.

Affected or not, I'm not taking a chance.

RiceMonster
March 10th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I just checked my driver version. Luckily I don't seem to be affected, but it's still worrying.

Pretty crazy stuff.

ubunterooster
March 10th, 2010, 05:17 AM
the article first mentions the 196 series whql driver (windows), and then says the recall extends to the 195 series linux drivers as well.

Affected or not, i'm not taking a chance.
+1

swoll1980
March 10th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I just checked my driver version. Luckily I don't seem to be affected, but it's still worrying.

Pretty crazy stuff.

I learned of this a few days ago, but was not able to find any *nix users complaining that they were affected by it.

KinKiac
March 10th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Lol. Thats why I use the drivers in the repos and NOT the Nvidia drivers. The article states that it is the 196 and 195 version that are affected. If im not mistaken the repos still recommend 180 or something like that, so anyone who just installed from the repos should be fine keeping their existing drivers. I may be wrong though.

#11u-max
March 10th, 2010, 05:21 AM
mine got to 70*c but didnt melt..

had that problem with any linux OS.. switched to solaris, never had a problem.. switched back to windows and the card runs cool for what temperature it usually was http://linsux.org/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/ohai.gif

swoll1980
March 10th, 2010, 05:23 AM
mine got to 70*c but didnt melt..

had that problem with any linux OS.. switched to solaris, never had a problem.. switched back to windows and the card runs cool for what temperature it usually was http://linsux.org/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/ohai.gif

70 C is fine.

#11u-max
March 10th, 2010, 05:24 AM
70 C is fine.
i had my safe temoerature set low, i have it set at 70. the card usually runs right at 55 on a normal day :\

cascade9
March 10th, 2010, 05:27 AM
70C isnt bad. I've seen nVidia cards hit 100C+. Hot country + crowded case + 3D studio max rendering, and no, it wasnt my computer.

Lol. Thats why I use the drivers in the repos and NOT the Nvidia drivers. The article states that it is the 196 and 195 version that are affected. If im not mistaken the repos still recommend 180 or something like that, so anyone who just installed from the repos should be fine keeping their existing drivers. I may be wrong though.

190.xx is the current version in the repos. The bug doesnt affect the 190.xx or earlier linux drivers (or windows drivers for that matter, its only 195.xx on linux and 196.xx on windows).

swoll1980
March 10th, 2010, 05:30 AM
70C isnt bad. I've seen nVidia cards hit 100C+. Hot country + crowded case + 3D studio max rendering, and no, it wasnt my computer.

100 C is useually the performce theshhold on nvidia cards. Any hotter they begin to slow down.

ubunterooster
March 10th, 2010, 05:31 AM
the repos are safer I also believe

aklo
March 10th, 2010, 07:27 AM
i'm using 1.8.5 and i'm not upgrading anytime soon.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Khakilang
March 10th, 2010, 08:30 AM
That's why I have extra fan on my CPU to prevent things like this from happening. Precaution is always better than cure.

3rdalbum
March 10th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I guess that's just uncovered a problem with using PPAs to add Nvidia drivers. I use a PPA and apparently my driver version is 190.53, but it also contains the 195 driver. Now, I bet that PPA is still offering the 195 driver, even after its recall.

jwbrase
March 10th, 2010, 10:47 AM
100 C is useually the performce theshhold on nvidia cards. Any hotter they begin to slow down.

Can anyone say what the safe operating limit is? I suppose it must be different for different models, but where could I find that out?

cascade9
March 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM
For the newer nVidia cards, check here-

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html

Click on the card you want to check, then go to the "specification" tab (under the main pic of the card). Scroll down to "thermal and power specs".

I'm 99.99% sure that the max temp for the 8xxx, 9xxx, 100 series, 200 series and 300 series is 105C (for desktop cards, I wouldnt know about mobile GPUs) Well, thats what nVidia says anyway, I would bet that you can go a tiny bit higher and not kill your card.....but that would be a Bad Idea IMO.

The nVidia drivers have a 'shutdown threshold' as well. If your card hit that, it shuts down (obviously LOL). My 8600GT is set at 115C. You might be able to change that with some sort of tool, but I wouldnt know- even my passive cooled 8600GT has never gone above 90C so I've never bothed looking into it. (that was a VERY hot day, and playing 3D games for a few hours)

For the older cards, I'm pretty sure that max temp is different. IIRC the max temp on the 6800GT was 115/120C. nVidia has removed the detailed spec sheet for the 'legacy' models so I cant be sure of that.