PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hard drive wont Boot

chris1k94
March 10th, 2010, 02:01 AM
I recently put together a computer with scrap parts that I have. It had no operating system on it at all. I downloaded Ubuntu on a different computer and burned it to a CD (I also verified the hash). I put the disk in and followed the instructions. Then when it wanted me to take the disc out and reboot I did so and clicked ok and it rebooted. I changed the boot order so that 0-HDD was first, and it said that the disk failed and wanted me to put in the system cd. Anybody have any solutions?

rogue_0111
March 10th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Run Ubuntu from the CD. Check the HD is showing up. Check to see if any files were installed.

presence1960
March 10th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Let's get a better look at your setup & boot process. Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose "try ubuntu without any changes", when the desktop loads come back here and do the following:

1. Download the boot info script. There is a link in my signature.
2. Once downloaded move the boot info script to the desktop.
3. Open a terminal and run the command
sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

See here (http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/) for more info on the boot info script.

Above link is to meierfra's Sourceforge web page.

chris1k94
March 29th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Thanks guys for the help, but i think i figured it out. I tried it on another computer and it worked. I have came to conclude that it was a result of a bad hard drive.