PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cups is all-powerful?!?

LintonHanes
March 10th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Hey, what does the printing service (cups) have to do with avidemux, firefox, apturl, etc etc etc

I can't remove cups as it'll cripple the whole OS

nice1"

Psumi
March 16th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Yes, cups is the Common Unix Printing System. Removing it will cripple your system regardless if you have a printer or not.

caravel
March 16th, 2010, 01:11 PM
You should be able to disable the CUPS server from running at startup if that's the issue?

3rdalbum
March 16th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Hey, what does the printing service (cups) have to do with avidemux, firefox, apturl, etc etc etc

I can't remove cups as it'll cripple the whole OS

nice1"

Those programs require CUPS in order to print, therefore CUPS is listed as a dependency.

CUPS requires less than a megabyte of RAM at idle... why exactly do you want to remove it? Isn't it okay just to not be configured? It is possible to stop CUPS from loading at startup, but you probably won't notice any difference in startup speed or memory use.

LintonHanes
March 17th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Yeah, shux
it had some large-sh update files and I figured "who needs it" and went to remove it

but resource-wise it's not a bother so what've I got to complain about huh?

sandyd
March 17th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Yeah, shux
it had some large-sh update files and I figured "who needs it" and went to remove it

but resource-wise it's not a bother so what've I got to complain about huh?

sudo mkdir /etc/init.d-disabled
sudo mv /etc/init.d/cups /etc/init.d-disabled/

captain.ratsie
March 26th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I was looking to free up disk on a eee don't have a printer on this unit so I thought cups and its updates could go , but then I noticed ubuntu desktop on the list to go ,,, not good, step away from the button

Psumi
March 26th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I was looking to free up disk on a eee don't have a printer on this unit so I thought cups and its updates could go , but then I noticed ubuntu desktop on the list to go ,,, not good, step away from the button

ubuntu-desktop is a metapackage. Removing it will not harm your system.

captain.ratsie
March 26th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I'm an absolute noob so I'm a little extra cautious,,, still I dont like to see my resources at 3/4 full with updates daily

Psumi
March 26th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I'm an absolute noob so I'm a little extra cautious,,, still I dont like to see my resources at 3/4 full with updates daily

In terminal, if you want to find out what a package is:

apt-cache show <package_name>

Also search synaptic if you want a GUI alternative.

captain.ratsie
March 26th, 2010, 02:32 AM
the problem here is even if it tells me what it is will I know if I need it there ,,,synaptic was where I was when I had to step away ,computer janitor is'nt agressive enough,but I'm too new to know where to cut, ,,I just set up 9,10 on a eee 701 4g but I dont understand shell at all. so I'm stuck in gui-vill for a bit,,, just d/l the beginers guide and its very good ,but small ,I tried the idiots guide to linux but it made a bunch of jumps I couldn't follow ,,, still learnin,,, meanwhile update manager is yellin at me to update cups and I dont even have a printer...and like I said my resources ae 3/4 full with just the os ,,,gona get nbr as soon as it comes out of beta..arrrrg

captain.ratsie
March 26th, 2010, 02:43 AM
sorry for snivelin ,, the cuve is still pretty steep ,,, thank you for your reply