PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error message on install

dbuck53
March 10th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Error Reading Boot Disk

I am trying to put the Ubuntu install on my older computer from an install cd and I keep getting this message shortly after I start any of the options available:

IO Error: Error reading boot CD

I have burned a copy on my main desktop writer and on the writer on the computer to which I am trying to install the OS. Both disk get the same result on my older comp, but both install fine on my main computer.

The cd will not autorun on this system, so live install is not available. From the boot screen, I have tried all the f6 options in a large number of configurations. I have change to a one-cdrom configuration, using each drive and swapped the master/slave order with both running. Nothing got past the error.

My system:

Amd Duron 900mhz (Pentium Pro 11 level)
624mb ram
52x cdrw (HiVal, I think), Creative 52x cdrom, Seagate 60gig main hd (56 gigs available), Seagate 10gig hd, an IBM G40 monitor

American Megatrends AMIBIOS Release 04/25/2001 S

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

dbuck53
March 10th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Oddly, the system is installing now, after numerous retries while I worked on my main computer. This system spent several years sitting in the closet, so maybe the drives had to loosen up again or something. lol