PDA

View Full Version : New ubuntu ˜› design created on apple mac

bigbrovar
March 10th, 2010, 12:34 AM
http://jordanopensource.org/freeplanet/article/new-ubuntu-design-created-apple-mac

When Canonical choose not to put its money where its mouth is this is what you get

Many graphic designers prefer Apple Macs or Windows PCs to accomplish their work. Although Ubuntu provides open source graphics applications like GIMP and Inkscape in addition to a Ubuntu-based distribution for multimedia (http://ubuntustudio.org/). The choice not to use Ubuntu in the design of Ubuntu itself may confirm that Linux is not yet ready to be a practical platform for designers.

The above statement is definitely not true. Take alot at the fedora project They are reckon to have some of the best artwork in Linux yet

Free and Open Source Creative Tools - Promotion & Marketing - Fedora is a free and open source project, and there are a number of creative tools that are part of it. Because we believe in Fedora, we use the tools provided in Fedora. These project involves:
providing help/tutorials/advice in the use of the FOSS creative tools in Fedora
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ArtWork#Long-Term_Projects
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ArtWork#Long-Term_Projects)

There is a need for those who advocate free and open source software to at least put their money where their mouth is. There is really nothing in the New Ubuntu branding that could not have been done with Gimp or inkscape. How can canonical or Ubuntu improve their software which ships with Ubuntu when they dont even use it? One of the thing that makes Inkscape such a strong active project is because one of the lead developer has a design company which uses inkscape as its main tool. hence most flaws are discovered and fixed hence improving the tool.

DeadSuperHero
March 10th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Heaven forbid they use an established platform to roll out new branding.

Madspyman
March 10th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Well it all makes sense now, the purple wallpaper, the clone panel icons (probably directly copied from OS X), and the change of the window buttons for Lucid.

Walker said that "[t]he design team were keen to stress that they wanted to move towards using the Ubuntu desktop for their creations, but didnt have enough familiarity at this point".

I bet they were getting sick of moving the buttons from right to left any time they installed Ubuntu.

I'm still waiting for the official reasoning behind the switch, but I doubt it'll be the real reason.

swoll1980
March 10th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Microsoft uses Linux servers. Go figure.

sudoer541
March 10th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I see nothing wrong with that.
Microsoft uses BSD and linux for their networking tools.
Apple uses a fair number of open source software for all of their products.
And Canonical uses Apple's computers for designing. Aplle computers are superior for graphic designing, hens the majority of artists use Macs, nothing wrong with that!!!

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2010, 01:09 AM
So Canonical should not be " free " to choose what they wish to use.:rolleyes:

Madspyman
March 10th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Still though the most original idea they could come up with was to clone OS X. I'm embarrassed for them. I'm also a bit baffled to think that wallpaper was created in Photoshop, a lot of us thought it was a lazy Sunday Gimp job.

FuturePilot
March 10th, 2010, 01:14 AM
This has nothing to do with the new artwork but it is extremely relevant.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-website/+bug/118559/comments/1

Mainly:

We encourage use of open source tools and open standards by all of our suppliers and contractors, but we do not insist on it. Philosophically we support and encourage and have a strong preference for open source software, but at the same time we are not "anti-propriety".

/thread

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Still though the most original idea they could come up with was to clone OS X. I'm embarrassed for them. I'm also a bit baffled to think that wallpaper was created in Photoshop, a lot of us thought it was a lazy Sunday Gimp job.

I use Mac's it is NOT a OSX clone.

Dayofswords
March 10th, 2010, 01:17 AM

well, at least not their web servers on parts they run

http://searchdns.netcraft.com/?position=limited&host=.microsoft.com

chriswyatt
March 10th, 2010, 01:18 AM
OMG! Blaspheme!

NightwishFan
March 10th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Why exactly are said Macs good for graphic design? Is it the software included? Or some sort of color matching?

CharmyBee
March 10th, 2010, 01:23 AM
If that makes you feel better, Windows XP's graphics were also designed on Macs.

But who cares about OS politics involved with creation? Design remains design.

swoll1980
March 10th, 2010, 01:24 AM

How is the new Ubuntu theme a clone of osx? It's ether black, or light brown, with orange icons, and a purple wallpaper, no dock, 2 task bars. There is a Debian based mac clone out there somewhere. I can't think of the name, but you will know it when you see it.

Hwt
March 10th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Oh no! They used the color purple in a wallpaper! OMG Mac rip-off!!!!!!111!1!11!1!one!!11!

#-o

Seriously though, so what? All the artists did was make a quality product using what they're familiar with.

GeneGrady
March 10th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I agree. I don't think his is going to work out.

http://jordanopensource.org/freeplanet/article/new-ubuntu-design-created-apple-mac

When Canonical choose not to put its money where its mouth is this is what you get

The above statement is definitely not true. Take alot at the fedora project They are reckon to have some of the best artwork in Linux yet

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ArtWork#Long-Term_Projects
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ArtWork#Long-Term_Projects)business process management (http://www.savvion.com/)

There is a need for those who advocate free and open source software to at least put their money where their mouth is. There is really nothing in the New Ubuntu branding that could not have been done with Gimp or inkscape. How can canonical or Ubuntu improve their software which ships with Ubuntu when they dont even use it? One of the thing that makes Inkscape such a strong active project is because one of the lead developer has a design company which uses inkscape as its main tool. hence most flaws are discovered and fixed hence improving the tool.

Madspyman
March 10th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I use Mac's it is NOT a OSX clone.

Does that bother you? Are you mad they forget to add the global menu and dock? Don't worry you can add those really easy, or is Ubuntu just a pet project for you.

schauerlich
March 10th, 2010, 01:33 AM
is Ubuntu just a pet project for you.

...You do realize you're talking to an admin of the Ubuntu forums, right?

Madspyman
March 10th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Yep.

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Does that bother you? Are you mad they forget to add the global menu and dock? Don't worry you can add those really easy, or is Ubuntu just a pet project for you.

No its not a pet project I have been here since it started 2004 , come back and talk to me when you have put in similar time :rolleyes:

sudoer541
March 10th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I hope they get rid of the bottom panel cuz I would love to have a dock by default. But who knows, maybe we are getting there.
I love having my buttons on the left hand side...it feels different.
I love the wallpaper, its very cute. I hope they integrate the wallpaper colours with the UI.

Madspyman
March 10th, 2010, 01:38 AM
No its not a pet project I have been here since it started 2004 , come back and talk to me when you have put in similar time :rolleyes:

Well played again, it's been a pleasure to be your rival. You say potato, I say potato disguised as an Apple, let's call the whole thing off.

phrostbyte
March 10th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Why exactly are said Macs good for graphic design? Is it the software included? Or some sort of color matching?

It's mostly marketing propaganda from the 80s, that seems to be well accepted among the artsy types (who don't really know much about computers). So these "professional designers" will spend $500-600 more on a computer that runs an inferior build of the Adobe Creative Suite. They want the "best tools" after all. :)

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I hope they get rid of the bottom panel cuz I would love to have a dock by default. But who knows, maybe we are getting there.
I love the wallpaper, its very cute. I hope they integrate the wallpaper colours with the UI.

To be honest the thing that bugs me with my Macs is the Dock . I have mine on auto hide and it always pops up when I am trying to fiddle with something at the bottom of the the screen. I have tried it at the left side and right side and whilst its a small irritation its an irritation.

the yawner
March 10th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Hmm...

From the same article:

Walker said that "[t]he design team were keen to stress that they wanted to move towards using the Ubuntu desktop for their creations, but didn’t have enough familiarity at this point".

juancarlospaco
March 10th, 2010, 01:45 AM
But Fedora got Tatica.

:)

NightwishFan
March 10th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I have my laptop potatoes using Debian. My desktop potato runs Ubuntu. Potatoes.. mmmmmm.

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2010, 01:48 AM

It does not really hold fast now. It is a hang over from when Apple Monitors were streets ahead for color matching. Also there were way better Apps for Photographers and Artists etc in late 90's and up to say 2006 on Apple . The Monitors were Trinitron which were superior in their day.

However other Manufacturers have caught up as have the Windows and Open source Apps. There is still a lead enjoyed by Apple but it is small.

NightwishFan
March 10th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I see, thank you Kiwinz. I am only familiar with a small bit of Mac Os 9, I never used Osx except for 3 minutes in a store. I did not like it, but the design is very aesthetic on both hardware and software.

Madspyman
March 10th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I have my laptop potatoes using Debian. My desktop potato runs Ubuntu. Potatoes.. mmmmmm.

All my potatoes run Ubuntu, laptop, desktop, server, strongly considered Debian though. My bro's a Mac user, we argue a lot, sorry about that KiwiNZ, force of habit.

oldsoundguy
March 10th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Tossing some more fuel on the fire .. the ad agency that does the commercials for Microsoft is an all Mac agency.

What it means is that whatever tool works best for the operator. I care NOT what platform is used to design what stuff. I DO care that what I use WORKS. Eye candy? not required for operation of a COMPUTER and to do COMPUTING or creating.

I use a Windows computer with Photo Shop to do my photography.. several reasons. First being I have a lot of bucks tied up in Adobe programs.
Second, many of the PLUG INS used in those programs are WINDOWS ONLY.
(Gimp is fine, but it won't take the Tiffen DFX filter program, for instance.)

It is just an OPERATING system and in 10 years or so when most on line will be browser oriented and in the cloud .. it will make little or no difference what system you use to turn your computer on.

FuturePilot
March 10th, 2010, 01:57 AM

You should really upgrade potato (http://www.debian.org/releases/2.2/) :lol:

NightwishFan
March 10th, 2010, 02:11 AM
You should really upgrade potato (http://www.debian.org/releases/2.2/) :lol:

That is a good joke. :D
I should try to run that in a virtual machine.

phrostbyte
March 10th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Tossing some more fuel on the fire .. the ad agency that does the commercials for Microsoft is an all Mac agency.

What it means is that whatever tool works best for the operator. I care NOT what platform is used to design what stuff. I DO care that what I use WORKS. Eye candy? not required for operation of a COMPUTER and to do COMPUTING or creating.

I use a Windows computer with Photo Shop to do my photography.. several reasons. First being I have a lot of bucks tied up in Adobe programs.
Second, many of the PLUG INS used in those programs are WINDOWS ONLY.
(Gimp is fine, but it won't take the Tiffen DFX filter program, for instance.)

It is just an OPERATING system and in 10 years or so when most on line will be browser oriented and in the cloud .. it will make little or no difference what system you use to turn your computer on.

That might be true for most things, but if your in the business of selling some kind of product, you should have faith in your product quality. It DOES look bad to potential customers if you use a competitor's product because "it works better". :o

zekopeko
March 10th, 2010, 02:28 AM

Didn't you get the memo from the Free Software camp? You get to be free but only by using their brand of True Freedom (tm).

zekopeko
March 10th, 2010, 02:32 AM

Canonical (and Mark Shuttleworth) already put enough money where their mouth are. You can be self-righteous when you spend 10s of millions of dollars on open source.

mechro
March 10th, 2010, 02:35 AM
�New ubuntu ˜› design created on apple mac...

...and pizzas were ordered with iPhones :shock:

Madspyman
March 10th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Canonical (and Mark Shuttleworth) already put enough money where their mouth are. You can be self-righteous when you spend 10s of millions of dollars on open source.

True, all most of us has done so far is talk, meanwhile Canonical has been spending the big bucks to make Ubuntu the best Linux distro out there. However if they have the money to spend on Linux why not spend it to get the designers the tools they need to use it as thy're main OS?

Take a look at this article,

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Penguin-Moves-to-Disney/

I know it's dated but back in 2002 when Disney/Pixar made the switch to Linux, they paid the developers of Wine $15,000 to get Photoshop 7 running in Linux.

Photoshop has performed well on Red Hat, Brooks said. Saving files is faster on Linux than on Mac OS machines also running Photoshop, he said.

Point is they made a commitment to an OS, and they put they're money behind that commitment.

the yawner
March 10th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Mmkay. So I have committed to revamp the design of this OS and I thought, I'm gonna need some real talents in here. Preferably people that have experience with this stuff.

Whoops. They don't know how to use Gimp.

Should I waste my time searching for people that are very capable artists who know how to use Gimp? Or have this team I have here learn Gimp first? Or should I just get on and get the job done, and in the long run eventually have my team use open-source tools for future works?

Is it really that hard a decision?

Regenweald
March 10th, 2010, 02:47 AM

kay, now what you need to do is

Right click on bottom panel
Select :delete this panel
Confirm: do you really want to delete this panel ?
Select option "yes"
open a terminal
sudo aptitude install docky

As to why this needs to be a default is beyond me......:popcorn:

@op, ideals are cheap, professional graphic design is not.

Impreza
March 10th, 2010, 03:11 AM
If it makes for a better looking system then more power to Ubuntu. and Mac

zekopeko
March 10th, 2010, 03:16 AM
True, all most of us has done so far is talk, meanwhile Canonical has been spending the big bucks to make Ubuntu the best Linux distro out there. However if they have the money to spend on Linux why not spend it to get the designers the tools they need to use it as thy're main OS?

I know it's dated but back in 2002 when Disney/Pixar made the switch to Linux, they paid the developers of Wine $15,000 to get Photoshop 7 running in Linux.

Point is they made a commitment to an OS, and they put they're money behind that commitment.

You might notice that Pixar/Disney make 100s of millions each year. Canonical doesn't and they don't target artists. They simply want to create a mainstream OS. GIMP was excluded because it wasn't helping in that vision.

Canonical has limited resources and "wasting" them on improving software that is used by a minority of users isn't a smart thing to do.

NightwishFan
March 10th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Is gimp still in main? If it is then they are still supporting it.

|{urse
March 10th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I've done lots of graphic design jobs here and there (hardly professional but I know how to make transparent images and work with layers) and honestly gimp is AMAZING!! I prefer it over photoshop any old day. But really it's up to whoever is designing the art what they decide to use. At least someone found a good use for a mac.. that's how I'm gonna look at this lol. \\:D/

DeadSuperHero
March 10th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Is gimp still in main? If it is then they are still supporting it.

Yeah, it's still in the main repos. The new version with single window mode is pretty great! :D

MCVenom
March 10th, 2010, 03:36 AM
...You do realize you're talking to an admin of the Ubuntu forums, right?
:lolflag:

juancarlospaco
March 10th, 2010, 03:45 AM
The old Ubuntu-Calendar package/wallpapers is made on Adobe products as show the EXIF info,
...so nothing new

whiskeylover
March 10th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Now I hope they hire some pros and pay them to come up with a professional looking default theme/wallpaper.

Giant Speck
March 10th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I wonder if the people who are claiming that Ubuntu stole their new look from OS X are the same people who said that Windows 7 stole from KDE 4.2 or that KDE 4.0 stole from Windows Vista.

NightwishFan
March 10th, 2010, 04:37 AM
The same people who are saying the D from Beethoven's Fur Elise came from Canon in D, or that Ted Nugent ripped off smoke on the water... oh.

the yawner
March 10th, 2010, 04:45 AM

Taken from the linked article:

"Theres this whole artistic community built around Photoshop, and we couldnt easily move these people to free alternatives," Brooks said. "[But] we hope [Cinepaint] will get to the point where we can use it for more tasks."
Emphasis mine. The article's from 2003. How much has changed since then? Not much I assume.

Also, Disney's investment obviously directly benefits their intentions. There's no immediate benefit on choosing Gimp over Photoshop on an artist's perspective. Me thinks.

bigbrovar
March 10th, 2010, 07:25 AM

I see nothing wrong with that.
Microsoft uses BSD and linux for their networking tools.
Apple uses a fair number of open source software for all of their products.
And Canonical uses Apple's computers for designing. Aplle computers are superior for graphic designing, hens the majority of artists use Macs, nothing wrong with that!!!

Yeah and when I heard about it was when someone posted a link here about stating how inferior MS servers are that they had to use Linux servers for their projects. As a system admin there is no way I would trust any of my project on an MS server because they make so much noise about how good it is and behind the doors run Linux servers. All am saying is One of the ways to improve and showcase the beauty of an OS is to use the tools that ships with it in its development, then you can say see how cool Ubuntu is? well it was built using tools that came with Ubuntu. They is a podcast I listen to called the Linux outlaws. This podcast has some of the best production compared to engaget or even twit. I asked one of the producers one day how Linux outlaws is done and he told me there whole production process is done on Linux using opensource tools. I was so impressed and it gave me the assurance that Linux can be used for good audio productions. When people hear that Ubuntu was designed using Macs The impression it leaves in many people outside the opensource community is that the graphic design tool in Linux but be total crap. so much so that even Ubuntu had to rely on mac in other to design Ubuntu. Its all good to outsource the design of Ubuntu to artist who use mainly macs and probably outside the open source community. But its even better if like fedora (or even linux mint) the process is outsourced to the ubuntu community. Throw a challenge to the community, Ask them to come up with an awesome theme/art work for Ubuntu using tools available on Ubuntu and see what would happen. The Ubuntu community is huge and full of great minds maybe canonical needs to tab that community more in the re-branding of Ubuntu. This would help it create a unique identify and not give people the idea that its trying to be the opensource implementation of a Mac .. just IMHO

bigbrovar
March 10th, 2010, 07:26 AM
sure and I should be free to express my concern about their choices :rolleyes:

NightwishFan
March 10th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I mildly felt this way when Wikipedia had a thing on television. (I think it was a commercial or an interview). They advocate how they run on Ubuntu but the room behind him was filled with Macs. I was a bit disappointed I suppose.

phrostbyte
March 10th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I mildly felt this way when Wikipedia had a thing on television. (I think it was a commercial or an interview). They advocate how they run on Ubuntu but the room behind him was filled with Macs. I was a bit disappointed I suppose.

Wikipedia's servers all run Ubuntu. Most of Wikimedia staff runs Ubuntu desktop.

Wikimedia historically has an extreme aversion to anything proprietary (true story). I remember the sysadmins patently refused to run Java on their servers for this very reason [or at least, that was the excuse they gave ;)]. That being said, they aren't the FSF, so they might use a little bit of proprietary software. Apparently they even have a single Windows box (for QuickBooks). :D

swoll1980
March 10th, 2010, 07:51 AM

They could have been running Ubuntu on the macs as well.

NightwishFan
March 10th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I know they really use it, but whoever sponsored it must have used macs as props I suppose. I would have to watch again to make sure. I really have respect for wikipedia is all, they really cracked down and made it good. Well anyway this is kinda off topic as well, so ill shut up about it. My point was that it would be nice to see all the open tools used, but I personally do not care if they use macs to make stuff.

howlingmadhowie
March 10th, 2010, 08:11 AM
sure and I should be free to express my concern about their choices :rolleyes:

this. (i think that's the right terminology). i find it amusing how those that aggressively say "i/we/they should be free to use any software they want" actually want to say "you are not allowed to even express an opinion about this".

phrostbyte
March 10th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I know they really use it, but whoever sponsored it must have used macs as props I suppose. I would have to watch again to make sure. I really have respect for wikipedia is all, they really cracked down and made it good. Well anyway this is kinda off topic as well, so ill shut up about it. My point was that it would be nice to see all the open tools used, but I personally do not care if they use macs to make stuff.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Inside_Wikimedia_01-13-09_big.ogg

Madspyman
March 10th, 2010, 08:15 AM

Lets face it even though the hardware inside Macs is way more expensive than when the same hardware is in a PC, they sure do look pretty.

Apple must assume OS X is worth like $400 though. It's no wonder the designers turned Ubuntu into a free version of it, their subconscious were probably like "I wish OS X was free like Ubuntu" and BOOM! We got a FOSS OS X.

phrostbyte
March 10th, 2010, 08:18 AM
this. (i think that's the right terminology). i find it amusing how those that aggressively say "i/we/they should be free to use any software they want" actually want to say "you are not allowed to even express an opinion about this".

I think what they are implictly saying is Ubuntu is no good as an artsy OS. I mean, if the producers of the OS don't even use it, what kind of statement does that make about the product?

"They can use whatever they want." They sure can. But if Canonical (oh lordy) doesn't use Ubuntu, they are sending a message they have no faith in their own work and that Ubuntu is truly an inferior OS (at least for artsy things).

Oh well, guess they can kill Ubuntu Studio now too. ](*,) Since they themselves don't bother to use it, why should anyone else?

handy
March 10th, 2010, 08:23 AM
To the OP: Who cares?

Why are people so divisive?

Look at human history & you will see that divisiveness is our downfall!

Use whatever tool enables you to do the job best at the time. Being grateful that, that tool, was available whilst you are working on whatever project.

Having the right tool for the job is just what it takes to make your job easier (sometimes, without the right tool the job is impossible) & having that tool is usually necessary to bring about the desired result.

Expressing gratitude to the maker(s) of the tool just shows common respect, as opposed to ignorant & often immature rudeness.

Most unfortunately, respect seems to be becoming an increasingly rare commodity these days, which is very, very sad indeed for all concerned.

NightwishFan
March 10th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I meant ubuntu when I said dont care if they use macs to make stuff.

phrostbyte
March 10th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I can see it now.

Intel: When we need REAL WORK DONE(tm), we rely on AMD processors.

Microsoft announces company wide deployment of Ubuntu desktops.

Google, tired of poor search results, switches to Bing. "We will use what we want!" they said.

PETA: We host lobster dinners.

^ At least one of the above is likely true. :)

phrostbyte
March 10th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Look at human history & you will see that divisiveness is our downfall!

Use whatever tool enables you to do the job best at the time. Being grateful that, that tool, was available whilst you are working on whatever project.

Having the right tool for the job is just what it takes to make your job easier (sometimes, without the right tool the job is impossible) & having that tool is usually necessary to bring about the desired result.

Expressing gratitude to the maker(s) of the tool just shows common respect, as opposed to ignorant & often immature rudeness.

Most unfortunately, respect seems to be becoming an increasingly rare commodity these days, which is very, very sad indeed for all concerned.

Listen, I'm cool with Canonical using "the best tool for the job" (whatever that means)...

As long as Canonical goes out and actually says "hey guys, we lied to you all this time, Ubuntu is actually inferior to Mac OS X".

Because their actions are not matching their words. They promote Ubuntu as an awesome general purpose desktop, "for humans". And yet their actions seem to imply, that they themselves to not believe this "truth". If Ubuntu is nothing more then a hobbyist OS to Canonical then they are lying to a lot of people. It's very disingenuous and I don't think the OP has done wrong by pointing it out.

Khakilang
March 10th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I use Windows to download Ubuntu 9.10 so whats the big deal?

Madspyman
March 10th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I use Windows to download Ubuntu 9.10 so whats the big deal?

Me too, XP didn't seem to mind, right up until I gave it the ax.

bigbrovar
March 10th, 2010, 08:52 AM

What is divisive about what I said. I was just expressing an opinion. You dont have to agree with it but that dont make it divisive.

Look at human history & you will see that divisiveness is our downfall! no lack of tolerance for the opinions of others and diversity is our downfall. Not everyone has to be a cheerleader. I was just stated something in my opinion the way I see it. and I tried as much to be objective in raising my points.

Use whatever tool enables you to do the job best at the time. Being grateful that, that tool, was available whilst you are working on whatever project. I don't deny that. I just started that the fact that not using the tool you created and promote shows that you lack believe in your own creation. At least that is the massage many people outside the foss ecosystem get.

Having the right tool for the job is just what it takes to make your job easier (sometimes, without the right tool the job is impossible) & having that tool is usually necessary to bring about the desired result. I completely agree with you. I was just pointing out (I really have to stress this) that not considering your tool.. the tool which you promote as the right the right tool for the job strikes a message. The Arthur of blog I posted concluded that the art/ graphic design tool on ubuntu must be crap for canonical not to consider it in the design of Ubuntu (which really is not true since Fedora has one of the best art work in the linux world and there were all made with free software) drives home my point. many people who have never tried linux before we read that post agreeing with the conclusion.

Expressing gratitude to the maker(s) of the tool just shows common respect, as opposed to ignorant & often immature rudeness. I would like you to point to where I was rude. One of the sign of immaturity is not attacking the issues. I have started some points here. Show the maturity you preach by attacking the points and highlighting the part you dont agree with and why. This is a discussion am not saying am right or anyone who disagrees is wrong. we are just having a discussion. Attack the point not the person :)

Most unfortunately, respect seems to be becoming an increasingly rare commodity these days, which is very, very sad indeed for all concerned. finally something we can agree on ;)

Giant Speck
March 10th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Because their actions are not matching their words. They promote Ubuntu as an awesome general purpose desktop, "for humans". And yet their actions seem to imply, that they themselves to not believe this "truth". If Ubuntu is nothing more then a hobbyist OS to Canonical then they are lying to a lot of people. It's very disingenuous and I don't think the OP has done wrong by pointing it out.

But that's just it: Ubuntu is (or is supposed to be) a general purpose desktop operating system. When I think of general purpose computer use, graphics art doesn't really come to mind.

That being said, the only artwork I see that could have been produced on OS X is the wallpaper and the logo, both of which look like they could have been produced and probably could have been produced using tools already available in Ubuntu. It's not really that difficult to make a gradient-based wallpaper in GIMP or a logo in Inkscape.

The only part of Ubuntu's new artwork that I could imagine would need highly-specialized software is their new font. I don't really know if there is professional font creation software available for Linux.

I don't really think Canonical is lying to people, per se, but it does seem to send a message that Canonical doesn't want Ubuntu to be anything other than a general purpose desktop operating system. Canonical seems to be hesitant to take full advantage of Ubuntu's potential, and Ubuntu (and Linux in general, for that matter) really does have a lot of potential.

handy
March 10th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Listen, I'm cool with Canonical using "the best tool for the job" (whatever that means)...

As long as Canonical goes out and actually says "hey guys, we lied to you all this time, Ubuntu is actually inferior to Mac OS X".

So many people make BIG things out of nothing. Their egos are what do it. (As ego's are renowned for their partisan qualities. :lolflag: )

You can actually TRY to see the another's point of view, or you can just fool yourself on the matter & continue to spew forth that brown stuff.

Whatever happens, whilst ever the "my ego is bigger than yours" attitude is in control, we are in divisive territory which ultimately means war, & we all know how bloody useful that is in the end, don't we?

I say peace.

Madspyman
March 10th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Canonical seems to be hesitant to take full advantage of Ubuntu's potential, and Ubuntu (and Linux in general, for that matter) really does have a lot of potential.

You're being generous. Weta Digital (Peter Jacksons VFX company) uses Ubuntu desktops and servers to do the VFX for just about any Hollywood blockbuster they work on, Avatar included.

I doubt Mac's were actually needed to put Ubuntu's new themes together.

NightwishFan
March 10th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Were they just for rendering or for actually editing? There would be no way I would render something like that on anything not unix-like.

schauerlich
March 10th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Were they just for rendering or for actually editing? There would be no way I would render something like that on anything not unix-like.

It's a good thing OS X is Unix, then.

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2010, 09:15 AM
You're being generous. Weta Digital (Peter Jacksons VFX company) uses Ubuntu desktops and servers to do the VFX for just about any Hollywood blockbuster they work on, Avatar included.

That is probably the truth . They had them , so they used them.Instead of wasting money on buying third rate machines just to put an App on to keep some Blog writers happy.

schauerlich
March 10th, 2010, 09:17 AM
That is probably the truth . They had them , so they used them.Instead of wasting money on buying third rate machines just to put an App on to keep some Blog writers happy.

Now now, upsetting the blogosphere is tempting fate. :)

NightwishFan
March 10th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Can OSX be deployed on a server farm, I do not know the hardware compatibility or licensing issues. I already do know that Darwin is Unix certified though, thanks for the lesson.

schauerlich
March 10th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Can OSX be deployed on a server farm, I do not know the hardware compatibility or licensing issues. I already do know that Darwin is Unix certified though, thanks for the lesson.

http://www.apple.com/xserve/
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/

Giant Speck
March 10th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Well, of course not. Themes are nothing more than text files, and it appears that they're still using just the Murrine engine for the default theme.

Madspyman
March 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM
http://www.apple.com/xserve/
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/

Lets reference Apple when asked about Apple products. I wonder if Apple thinks Apple computers make good servers? They do!

schauerlich
March 10th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Lets reference Apple when asked about Apple products. I wonder if Apple thinks Apple computers make good servers?

They do!

He asked if OS X can run servers. I linked to the servers Apple sells, as well OS X Server. What would you have preferred I linked to?

Anyways, this has nothing to do with the topic of the thread, let's move on.

handy
March 10th, 2010, 09:35 AM
FOSS is fantastic, we (mostly I expect) all love it.

As I keep asking, why can't people use whatever is the best tool for the job?

It will actually help YOU, if you forget about your preconceived ideas regarding the way that YOU think this projects development is supposed to be?

Even if they, the FOSS proponents, use proprietary software (because there is nothing in the FOSS world good enough YET - why else would they use it!!!!!????) to do what they have to do to make the product better for the people that they GIVE IT AWAY TO & under such circumstances, at their own expense! (should that have been in bold too?)

You lot bitch & moan, bitch & moan!

Ultimately you are saying that all of the people that have put in the thousands of hours of work to create this product that I love & use have not done it the way I would have liked them to have done it for me.

I think that you should take a good hard look at yourselves & particularly your attitudes, as most of us think that you are having yourselves on, you are taking yourselves far too seriously, you are not looking at the longer road (I dislike the bigger picture terminology, but it is also appropriate here).

Stop bitching/niggling about what you have & start enjoying the wondrous dynamics of the amazing ever ongoing process of creation (& existence for that matter)?

It is your personal choice = "half empty" or "half full".

Think about it?

Which one of those attitudes actually enhances your reality?

You life, your moments?

Use your free will & make the habit that you think will improves your reality?

Surprisingly, it is really, really easy to change our attitude from one side to the other.

Remember that one side pays the other side ultimately gives you nothing but more of the same negative outlook, both of which, by the way are addictive.

Anyway, I'm out of here, as all I can see coming are little ego's defending their little closed minded, blinkered points of view.

Have fun with it?

Just know that it goes nowhere in the end & that you can, alternatively, by your own wilful choice, have a far more positive attitude & therefore experience of live the universe & everything if you do choose to make the tiny effort required to do so. :)

Madspyman
March 10th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Anyways, this has nothing to do with the topic of the thread, let's move on.

Good point.

Speaking of off topic what's with all the Tyler Durdens?

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2010, 10:01 AM
closed for review