PDA

View Full Version : Look at this, and tell me what's wrong.

swoll1980
March 9th, 2010, 11:39 PM
This is a screener I took of the Kubuntu 10.04 kickoff menu (leave tab) tab. Notice anything missing?

chris4585
March 9th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Where's shutdown?

Tibuda
March 9th, 2010, 11:44 PM
shutdown and reboot?

swoll1980
March 9th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Ding ding ding! We have 2 winners.

swoll1980
March 9th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Where's shutdown?

I have no clue.

sudo shutdown now

I guess.

The Toxic Mite
March 9th, 2010, 11:56 PM
sudo shutdown nowI guess.

That'll have to do, I guess... :?

fatality_uk
March 10th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Notice anything missing?

Waldo? :D

ibuclaw
March 10th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Why not use the physical power button on your computing device?

The Toxic Mite
March 10th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Why not use the physical power button on your computing device?

That also, but don't hold it for too long since you'll lose all your work. Also, there's the added risk of a borked filesystem since it wouldn't be cleanly unmounted.

cascade9
March 10th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Can you logout and then shutdown from the login?

I'd probably try using the traditional menu to see if that works (it probably wont, but its worth a try). Then again I dont like that menu system so I'm biased LOL

inobe
March 10th, 2010, 12:16 AM
This is a screener I took of the Kubuntu 10.04 kickoff menu (leave tab) tab. Notice anything missing?

that's a kubuntu problem, in suse with kde 4.4 shutdown is there.

swoll1980
March 10th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I appreciate the advise. This thread is merely for the comedic value of a shutdown menu without a shutdown option. I realize there's a hundred ways around this, and that it's still in development. I would file a bug report, but I know there's no way this isn't on there already.

doorknob60
March 10th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Question: Are you using KDM? If not, that's probably why.

Regenweald
March 10th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I'm impressed with the look of your desktop though. You just scored one for KDE on my machine.

swoll1980
March 10th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Question: Are you using KDM? If not, that's probably why.

No I'm not using kdm. Guess that explains that.

swoll1980
March 10th, 2010, 01:00 AM
I'm impressed with the look of your desktop though. You just scored one for KDE on my machine.

This is default kde 4.4 It does look pretty cool.

chessnerd
March 10th, 2010, 01:21 AM
This happened when I installed KDE on my laptop alongside Gnome in Karmic. Also, Log Out and Switch User didn't work. I ended up shutting down via command line and then uninstalled KDE as quickly as I could.

KDE has always been buggier for me than Gnome. However, I have a new computer that I got from my aunt this week and I've vowed to put Kubuntu Lucid Lynx on it when it comes out. Hopefully a clean KDE install will work for me.

Also, KDE 4.4 is looking awesome. You can set up tabs on windows for applications! That's a feature I've wanted in an OS for a long time. Forget using the task bar to switch between browser and word processor, just have two tabs on one window instead of two windows. It's so simple and intuitive!

jrusso2
March 10th, 2010, 01:24 AM
For some reason in Kubuntu if you don't use KDM but use GDM this is what happens.

RiceMonster
March 10th, 2010, 01:26 AM
For some reason in Kubuntu if you don't use KDM but use GDM this is what happens.

It's not Kubuntu specific. KDE always relies on KDM for shutdown/restart and suspend/hibernate.

I think GNOME relies on GDM for that as well, not sure if you can use KDM instead, though.

dragos240
March 10th, 2010, 01:28 AM
It's not Kubuntu specific. KDE always relies on KDM for shutdown/restart and suspend/hibernate.

I think GNOME relies on GDM for that as well, not sure if you can use KDM instead, though.

Also, if you don't use GDM for GNOME you cannot mount anything, so, big problem.

swoll1980
March 10th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Also, if you don't use GDM for GNOME you cannot mount anything, so, big problem.

yeah, and I just found out that if you use GDM KDE can't mount anything.

squilookle
March 10th, 2010, 01:43 AM

I'm running gnome on arch without gdm, and I can shutdown from the system menu and mount things. When I ran kde without kdm on the same arch install, however, I also did not have shutdown in the leave menu, and had to do it from the command line...

Post Monkeh
March 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM
This happened when I installed KDE on my laptop alongside Gnome in Karmic. Also, Log Out and Switch User didn't work. I ended up shutting down via command line and then uninstalled KDE as quickly as I could.

KDE has always been buggier for me than Gnome. However, I have a new computer that I got from my aunt this week and I've vowed to put Kubuntu Lucid Lynx on it when it comes out. Hopefully a clean KDE install will work for me.

Also, KDE 4.4 is looking awesome. You can set up tabs on windows for applications! That's a feature I've wanted in an OS for a long time. Forget using the task bar to switch between browser and word processor, just have two tabs on one window instead of two windows. It's so simple and intuitive!

i've always found it buggy to install one ubuntu variant on top of another fully set up ubuntu. it just takes a bit of tweaking to get things working as they should as the different de's want to use all their own services to do things