PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Email notify with Syslog?

sentinelace
March 9th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I'm running a syslog server on ubuntu 7.04. Can I somehow have it email me if it finds a certain thing in the log? For example. I'm running a PRI and when the PRI goes down, it logs a "DEACTIVED" in the log. I would like an email telling me this so I know to get on it and fix it. Any ideas?

tgalati4
March 9th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Write a small script that searches your log file for the term DEACTIVATED. If found then send an email.

Add your script to the system /etc/crontab.

Here's an example mail script from a Dapper Drake machine for when the UPS communication is down:

tgalati4@tubuntu2:/etc/apcupsd$ cat commfailure
#!/bin/sh
#
# This shell script if placed in /etc/apcupsd
# will be called by /etc/apcupsd/apccontrol when apcupsd
# loses contact with the UPS (i.e. the serial connection is not responding).
# We send an email message to root to notify him.
#
SYSADMIN=root
APCUPSD_MAIL="mail"

HOSTNAME=`hostname`
MSG="$HOSTNAME Communications with UPS lost"
#
(
echo "Subject: $MSG"
echo " "
echo "$MSG"
echo " "
/sbin/apcaccess status
) | $APCUPSD_MAIL -s "$MSG" $SYSADMIN
exit 0

But thinking about it, I have no idea what a PRI is. Plus, if you just search the log files, they get compressed and rotated and you have to detect the latest occurrence. A better plan would be to find the script that actually writes DEACTIVATED to the syslog file, then put your email code right after it.

To find it, go to the directory where your PRI stuff is and:

grep DEACTIVATED *

sentinelace
March 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I'll test this, do I need to install anything or will it just work? I already know where the log is. It's in /var/log/uc520/uc520.log and it's logged there. I just need this script to email me when it logs deactivated. Where do I place this script?

tgalati4
March 10th, 2010, 10:42 PM
You need to find the script that writes uc520.log. Place a few lines of code (based on the example that I provided) inside of that script.

sentinelace
March 11th, 2010, 02:42 PM
This just comes from the syslog.conf that I setup.

This is at the bottom of the syslog.conf

local7.debug comes from the router.

/etc/syslog.conf

#Uc520 router logging
local7.debug /var/log/uc520/uc520.log
*.*;local7.none;\
auth,authpriv.none -/var/log/syslog

So I guess that's where I am lost to add the script?

tgalati4
March 11th, 2010, 09:46 PM
The syslog daemon (syslogd) can capture system messages from many devices on the same network--as long as you set up the devices with the appropriate IP address for the syslog dump.

I'm not familiar with the Uc520 router. Perhaps the router itself as an email message facility.

So now you have to write a script that tests the uc520.log file for the presence of "DEACTIVATED" and if detected then send an email and rotate the log file.

man logrotate

If the file isn't already autorotated.

Put your script into the system cron job (cat /etc/crontab) and set it to run every 5 minutes or however often you really need to run it.

Check the settings of the router. There may be more elegant ways to provide notification.

sentinelace
March 11th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I am not a big script guy. What do I need replace in the script above for this to work?

Samatva
March 11th, 2010, 10:00 PM
It sounds like you *could* end up with a system that would not be able to stop sending numerous e-mails under certain situations.

Consider an intelligent monitoring such as Nagios - it's not very easy to set up, but it gives great flexibility, etc.

sentinelace
March 11th, 2010, 10:11 PM
It sounds like you *could* end up with a system that would not be able to stop sending numerous e-mails under certain situations.

Consider an intelligent monitoring such as Nagios - it's not very easy to set up, but it gives great flexibility, etc.

Will that give me what I need? That looks like monitoring. I don't understand how that can send me an email from specifics from a log? I don't want the entire log either. Just pieces.

Samatva
March 11th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Nagios can monitor all sorts of services. I have not checked to see if there is a module to detect when a PRI goes down, but think there's a good chance that there is...

Also, I know that Nagios can monitor a web page for the existence (or lack thereof) of a text string - it *might* be able to so the same for a log file.

sentinelace
March 11th, 2010, 10:20 PM
cool. free? Looks like it's not?

Samatva
March 11th, 2010, 10:25 PM
It's in the repository (nagios3) (edit: oops - don't know about 7.04...)

See also http://www.google.com/search?q=nagios+PRI+monitor

I don't know your field, but there may be some leads there...

sentinelace
March 11th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Wow, got it installed. Looks pretty good. Is there a good area on how to configure it and make this work?