PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Desktop flashing; unusable, after removing the notification area.

AtliThor
March 9th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Hey everybody.

I was messing around with the notification area and ended up removing it. (Was trying to relocate it down to the bottom panel.)

However, the second I removed it, a popup window appears, but disappears almost instantly (it never gets a chance to display anything). This happens now every couple of seconds, and it "reloads" the desktop every time it happens. (When I say "desktop", I mean everything except unrelated apps. Sort of like the Explorer crashing in Windows.)

I tried logging out and rebooting, but that didn't do any good. The reloading just starts again the second the desktop loads.

I've only got access to the CLI at the moment, and even though there is probably some simple command I can use or some file I can edit, I really have no idea even where to look. - And, for once, Google didn't help much :|

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 - all updated and everything... until a couple of days ago, that is, when this happened.

I'd appreciate any help. (I really don't like it when I have to spend to much time on my Windows partition ](*,))

Thanks,
- Atli

AtliThor
March 9th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Ok, so I managed to fix this. It was to obvious to figure out, it seems :p

I just chose the "Failsafe GNOME" option at the login screen, added a new "Notification Area" to the panel, and re-logged. - Now everything is back to the way it was.

... now I'm off to search the bug database. See if this is in there somewhere. ):P