PDA

View Full Version : what instant messenger do you use

sxmaxchine
March 9th, 2010, 01:35 PM
what instant messenger do you use and why i personally use emesene because i find it very easy and simple to use

kellemes
March 9th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Only two brands?

I use Pidgin, it works for me..

zeroseven0183
March 9th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Pidgin - gotta be my favorite instant messenger. Works very well

paul8620
March 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Pidgin works just fine

Grenage
Kopete (on Ubuntu), otherwise I'd use Pidgin; Empathy is filth.

matthew.ball
Pidgin here too.

sxmaxchine
March 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
why does nearly everybody seem to like pidgin, i do agree that it is a great program but i think it just looks ugly

kellemes
March 9th, 2010, 01:53 PM
why does nearly everybody seem to like pidgin, i do agree that it is a great program but i think it just looks ugly

Who cares.. it's not a woman, it's a messenger and it works great.

Dayofswords
March 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Pidgin - functional, easy and kinda pretty. i like it

RiceMonster
March 9th, 2010, 02:06 PM
This poll pretty much assumes everyone chats over MSN

gradinaruvasile
March 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I use Sip Communicator - its a Java based cross-platform instant messenger (audio/video), supports everything Pidgin does (OTR aswell) + SIP accounts + zrtp call(audio+video) encryption. Also has desktop sharing in experimental form. Its in alpha stage, and it is developed at a fast rate - i use it at work and it is stable.

Its Java based, but its interface moves as fast as the gtk ones, the sound and audio (PortAudio) systems are platform specific and its perfectly integrated with alsa and pulseaudio + has the best sound quality of all SIP clients i tried.

- It has Windows, Mac, Linux clients
- generic linux builds with everything bundled with windows-like installer and debian-based repository.

kellemes
March 9th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I use Sip Communicator (..)

Thanks for the tip, looks great, I think I'm gonna give it a try.

sxmaxchine
March 9th, 2010, 02:11 PM
This poll pretty much assumes everyone chats over MSN

yea most people probably do use msn i personaly use msn and skype for video but i did ask for instant messenger which includes all the others

Kdar
March 9th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Skype mostly.

I also like to use Pidgin and Emesene for MSN

madnessjack
March 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Default- long as it does the job.

Pidgin was okay but I prefer Empathy. Most of the folks I know I get hold of via Facebook chat, and that now uses Jabber which is mega-convenient.

Kdar
March 9th, 2010, 02:29 PM
For me a lot of things do not work in Empathy.. Even file transfer.. I always have to explain to someone I am using something else (not MSN or Yahoo Messenger)

Dragonbite
March 9th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Empathy.

I primarily use it for Google Talk and Facebook chat.

File transfer worked fine, and when I want or need to I have my AIM, MSN and Yahoo! accounts there. I just don't use them much.

Kdar
March 9th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I wonder why mine didn't work recently.

Tibuda
March 9th, 2010, 02:57 PM

Looks ugly? It looks exactly how everything else on my system looks like (unless you're on KDE).

ctrlmd
March 9th, 2010, 03:03 PM
emesene
im going to try Sip Communicator

Phoenixie
March 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Skype, Pidgin, IRSSI

gnomeuser
March 9th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I use Empathy for GoogleTalk, aMSN for MSN (since this is where the webcam currently works and I have custom emoticons).

On my Nokia N900 I use the builtin Telepathy based client for GoogleTalk, MSN as well as Skype for it's own system.

Dragonbite
March 9th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I did go crazy with aMSN and Gyachi for MSN and Yahoo! webcam, but since realized most of the people I want to talk to are on Google Talk and Facebook (which is so nice to not have to use that little pop-up chat box on the webpage).

For video, now, Skype covers most of my needs which is really just a few friends and family.

Queue29
March 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Used to use Pidgin and skype. Now I just use the built in chat bot in gmail.

BrokenKingpin
March 9th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I use Pidgin.

This has to be the worst set of options I have seen in a poll in quite some time. How can you have a poll on IM clients and not even include Pidgin?

TheNessus
March 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Kopete

jomiolto
March 9th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Other: none.

Simian Man
March 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Your poll options are very disappointing. I use empathy.

Dragonbite
March 9th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Kopete

Kopete has never liked my webcam (Microsoft LifeCam NX-6000)

Lightstar
March 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM
on linux: pidgin
on win 7: pidgin

though I do load the real msn sometimes on windows when i need webcam

chris4585
March 9th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Why do people never do research when they make polls? more options please. I use bitlbee.

Bölvağur
March 9th, 2010, 05:58 PM

because it is the only gnome im that has xfire, facebook, msn, jabber (& gmail) and that... "bonjour" thing.
If you only got 1 IM account you dont have enough.

Dragonbite
March 9th, 2010, 06:04 PM
because it is the only gnome im that has xfire, facebook, msn, jabber (& gmail) and that... "bonjour" thing.
If you only got 1 IM account you dont have enough.

I was happy to find out Empathy supports Facebook without any plugin.

virusiidx
March 9th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Pidgin and Skype.

sandyd
March 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM
kmess.

mikeymouse
March 9th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Kopete seems to me to be the best..
mikeymouse

LoloftheRings
March 9th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Pidgin.

It looks very well with my DWM theme. I love simplicity, and pidgin is like a synonym for simplicity.

samh785
March 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Pidgin and skype.

j.bell730
March 9th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Other: irssi.

DeadSuperHero
March 9th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Epiphany. You can share your Rhythmbox collection and desktop over a Jabber account!

Also, word is that the support for video on popular protocols is definitely there in Epiphany. Haven't really tried it since I have no one to do video conferencing with, but a nice touch nonetheless.

ALIENDUDE5300
March 9th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Pidgin here too :)

markp1989
March 9th, 2010, 11:32 PM
i use pidgin because i can use 1 program to connect to msn and facebook chat

hessiess
March 9th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Use IRSSI for IRC every so often, but besides that, I dont use one.

graabein
March 9th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I use meebo.com but usually I'm not on IM.

Arthur_D
March 10th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Skype.

tuddy666
March 10th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Pidgin has support for just about everything I use (MSN, Yahoo, AIM, IRC) and I like the interface. Empathy's also good, but has problems with my MSN account most of the time.

Zoot7
March 10th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Pidgin - Got so used to using it in Linux, that I use it in Windows now too.

spcwingo
March 10th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Chalk up another one for Pidgin.

sxmaxchine
March 10th, 2010, 07:52 AM
ok to everyone who is complaining that i didnt put pidgin in the options that is because it is default in jaunty and lower so i couldnt put in pidgin because then people who use jaunty wont know weather to select pidgin or default.

also i didnt realy care what program you use i mainly wanted to know why you use it.

Khakilang
March 10th, 2010, 08:09 AM
At first it was Pidgin on 9.04 now is Empathy on 9.10. Both work.

kellemes
March 10th, 2010, 08:56 AM
ok to everyone who is complaining that i didnt put pidgin in the options that is because it is default in jaunty and lower so i couldnt put in pidgin because then people who use jaunty wont know weather to select pidgin or default.

also i didnt realy care what program you use i mainly wanted to know why you use it.

A list of messengers (without "default in distro") would have been better..
Like a lot of members of this forum.. I use (K)ubuntu, it has Kopete as default messenger (pretty good by the way), but still I use Pidgin.

HangukMiguk
March 10th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Pidgin, but I've been having problems lately with it hogging my resources, and (if I don't restart it often enough) freezes my computer, can't even back out of X, have to cold boot.

Berk
March 10th, 2010, 10:05 AM
irssi for IRC, finch for msn.
I'm planning to move to using bitlbee though, I'm just slightly bewildered still by the set up of it.

Toddus
March 10th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Pidgin for me!

Why?

Because its simple, does not use a lot of resources, is compatible with almost any messaging platform (irc etc) Also it works with Yahoo Japan, which was really the kicker for me.
I have no idea why they changed the distro from pidgin to Empathy, empathy is gross.

burcaden
March 10th, 2010, 10:17 AM
i use MSN Messenger only

d3v1150m471c
March 10th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Pidgin

gn2
March 10th, 2010, 10:33 AM
None, I have never used a messenger application. Not once ever.

handy
March 10th, 2010, 10:34 AM
None.

Not now, not ever.

Bölvağur
March 10th, 2010, 02:06 PM

cool, but still lacking xfire plugin
but it may not be as relevant for me now as before when I regularly played games.

Dragonbite
March 10th, 2010, 02:56 PM
cool, but still lacking xfire plugin
but it may not be as relevant for me now as before when I regularly played games.

What's "xfire"?

I don't do a lot of things with my IM. The file transfer was a nice touch when I was fixing a friend's scanned picture and was sending himp updates as I fixed them. A lot easier than emailing them.

Otherwise, I'm a basic user so that may make a difference for whether Empathy works or not for me.

Tibuda
March 10th, 2010, 02:58 PM
What's "xfire"?

It is an IM network for gamers.

Dragonbite
March 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
It is an IM network for gamers.
That explains why I have never heard of it :P

rudihawk
March 10th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Pidgin... :)

chiefboo
March 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Pidgin has support for just about everything I use (MSN, Yahoo, AIM, IRC) and I like the interface. Empathy's also good, but has problems with my MSN account most of the time.

hi all. i just switched over completely to linux and i've been using pidgin but the msn on it has been randomly cutting off and my friend is either ignoring me or i'm not getting any messages through MSN.

on msn messenger if a message is send while i'm offline i will get a notification of it and what the message is... i'm guessing pidgin doesn't do that for ya?

what messenger does?

I'm looking to switch but i need a single client program for both AIM and MSN. :KS

dinamic1
March 10th, 2010, 05:02 PM
http://tux.crystalxp.net/png/delwing-pidgin-tux-16559.png

pidgin X-)

The Knight
March 10th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Well, I'm currently using Galaxium but it has a couple of problems...

So I came here looking for a new one. I'm going to download and try both emesene (is that spelled right?) and pidgin. But if anyone could suggest one that has the features I want, I would be grateful.

Essentially what I'm looking for is something very close to WLM. I've only recently switched over, and all my contacts use MSN. So I'm looking for an IM that need only have MSN support, but others would be nice. Also, I'd like it to have support for coloured contact names - many of my contacts have loads of tags in their names which fill up the screen if they're not interpreted.
I'd also like some kind of integration with any music player for a 'Now Playing' because I'm so bigheaded about my music taste ;)

Ferb
March 10th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Empathy ... never had any problems with it but I don't IM very much

scouser73
March 10th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I don't use instant messaging programs anymore.

shrimpy89
March 10th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Pidgin. Simple, lightweight (relative to the default clients, that is ;)), yet very functional. Looks don't matter much to me but it's elegant in its simplicity.

marshmallow1304
March 10th, 2010, 09:26 PM

So does Pidgin, now that Facebook uses XMPP. http://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php
I still use the plugin though. It has some nice extras that plain XMPP doesn't.

Firestem4
March 10th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I use kmess on Linux. Kopete for everything else. I know its a little redundant having two chat clients that both can run MSN, and kopete runs MSN+ all others, but I'm not the biggest fan of kopete.

I use emesene on Windows instead of MSN, no ads to deal with on their crappy software :)

chriswyatt
March 10th, 2010, 10:41 PM
hi all. i just switched over completely to linux and i've been using pidgin but the msn on it has been randomly cutting off and my friend is either ignoring me or i'm not getting any messages through MSN.

on msn messenger if a message is send while i'm offline i will get a notification of it and what the message is... i'm guessing pidgin doesn't do that for ya?

what messenger does?

I'm looking to switch but i need a single client program for both AIM and MSN. :KS

You should give msn-pecan a go.

http://code.google.com/p/msn-pecan/
http://felipec.wordpress.com/tag/msn-pecan/

I used to use it but a while ago I switched to using Empathy.

Seano911
March 10th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I use Emesene, tried both Pidgin and Empathy, and although they're both perfectly capable, I only want to connect to MSN and Emesene provides me with the features of the default MSN client in the simplest way imo.

t.rei
March 10th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Pidgin.

Supports all interesting protokolls.
Works on all platforms I currently use.
Supports OTR.
Supports invisibility without being 'defaulted to offline' (like kopete).
Supports blocking properly.
Isn't 'integrated' to hell and back. (works on any DE)

CompyTheInsane
March 10th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Windows: either Trillian or Pidgin, and the Xfire client for Xfire
Linux: Pidgin, since I like the convenience of being able to access AIM, Yahoo, MSN, XMPP, and Xfire (with the Gfire (http://gfireproject.org) plugin installed) from within the same IM client.

Phrea
March 11th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Pidgin.

Muppeteer
March 11th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Kopete...Can't wait for the new version, whenever that will be :)