PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updates are killing me

iggymacd
March 9th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I have been a fan of Ubuntu for some time, but I am starting to lose confidence in the updates process in general. For the second time in 2 weeks, I am without a working laptop, and my productivity is suffering. I decided to apply automatic updates twice on a 9.10 installation, and both times it has rendered my laptop unusable. The first time, I had to read through over 100 posts in order to get a workaround to get back up and running. I invested over 4 hours of work time. This morning, I applied the latest updates again, and this time, after logging in, I only get my background, but not menus, or hard disk activity. It seems locked up, but I am able to go to ALT-F1, ALT-F2 etc...

If I sound frustrated, I am. I really want to see initiatives like Ubuntu succeed, but this type of thing is not going to improve adoption of the product.

Is anyone regression testing these updates? Is it just me that is having such a hard time with updates?

Regards,

Allan

kai333
March 12th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Hi I have got hosed by the updates twice lately to. It seems in my case it is the grub2 updates that are causing me a no boot situation. Can you press ctrl alt and t at the same time and get a terminal window up?