PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nvidia driver problems

dd1linux
March 9th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Sorry for everyone whos heard this problem a million times, but this time I cant figure it out by reading other posts. I have installed ubuntu several times and gotten the nvidia drivers working (my main goal of course is the desktop cube and wobbly windows). But today when I decided to install ubuntu again, i downloaded the drivers from the nvidia siteand then I got rebooted to a black screen. So I tried Envy, which also produced the same result. Then I tried synaptic and installing nvidia-185.xxx (or whatever the latest one is). Please help me! I swear im not a complete newb but for some reason my brain is just not working on this one.

I have:
2 8600GT Graphics cards
AMD64 Athlon
Ubuntu 64bit AMD OS

If you need any more info, please let me know and I will respond FAST!

sikander3786
March 9th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Have you tried to uninstall the driver?

sudo sh NVIDIA* --uninstall

dd1linux
March 9th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Yeah, when I did it that way, but that just brought me back to square one.... sorry for my ignorance, but what would that solve?

sikander3786
March 9th, 2010, 08:10 AM
What do you see now? Broken X-Server or the GUI is there?

Are you able to login in to your desktop?

dd1linux
March 9th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Well for now i nano the xorg.conf to use the vesa driver and i have these crappy graphics. but when i just let it try and start up, i hear the sound and everything, but no video. Just a black screen

sikander3786
March 9th, 2010, 08:14 AM
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Follow the on screen instructions and you should be able to reconfigure to previous state.

dd1linux
March 9th, 2010, 08:17 AM
sorry after all the changes ive made im not sure what happened but when i did that there was no on screen instructions. I got this:

dustin@dustin-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
[sudo] password for dustin:
dustin@dustin-desktop:~$

basically nothing happened i dont think

sikander3786
March 9th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Reboot.

dd1linux
March 9th, 2010, 08:20 AM
k brb

dd1linux
March 9th, 2010, 08:23 AM
it said its going to run in low graphics mode. I didnt get the full error message though, u want me to?

sikander3786
March 9th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Try to install the nvidia drivers from

System>Administration>Hardware Drivers.

Choose the one that is labelled recommended.