PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will these issues with updates crashing systems, continue? How to avoid?

Rasa1111
March 9th, 2010, 04:21 AM
There are quite a few posts recently ( seems to be an influx at the moment)..
about people installing the 'important updates' that are required to keep systems running properly, But after they do so.... They can no longer use their systems properly, or at all.

I think what many of us (newbs) are wondering, if this is a "normal" thing?
And is there a way to avoid such stressfulness? lol

Is it absolutely necessary to install every update that is available?
Is this "updates have killed my system" thing, just a recent problem?
or is it something that happens with all releases?
does it look like it will continue? or do you Ubuntu crew think it is something that will/can be ironed out, to prevent people from losing valuable data, because of simple crashes caused by updates that are, in the first place' supposed to help?

It just leaves a bit of an uneasy feeling....
in many, i am sure.

like.... do people have to keep every bit of data that they cannot lose on an external hd,
just in case updates do something to their system and they are unable to recover it?

Ubuntu is a beautiful thing, and i absolutely love it,
but im recently starting to wonder if removing windows for good, was for the best? *hides face*

sorry for all the questions and newbness, but it has really been 'bugging' me the past couple days... ( and many others i think) lol

many thanks for any enlightenment you can share. :KS
rasa

Rasa1111
March 9th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I was just reading a post by Bodhi.zazen~ *deep bows, Bodhi*

and he said~
Bodhi.zazen: I suggest you perform a HD install and perform automatic "security only" updates. in this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8910284&postcount=11) .

i guess a better question than any I asked in the OP,
would be~
How does one ensure that "only security updates are installed", and not updates for every single application one has? But the "Security Only" updates? as stated by Bodhi.

I have gone into "update manager" into settings, and picked the first choice of how updates are performed " Install security updates in the background"

Is this how to accomplish what Bodhi said., or is there something else that needs to be done to ensure that only the most critical , 'security only' updates are installed?

thank you.

lykwydchykyn
March 9th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Launch the "software sources" tool under "system". Go to the updates tab and uncheck everything under "Ubuntu Updates" except "Important Security updates". That should take care of it.

Incidentally, I am not aware of these fatal updates you're talking about. Can you give an example?

s3ns3w0rld
May 9th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Incidentally, I am not aware of these fatal updates you're talking about. Can you give an example?I have been using various ubuntu distros since 6.10. In each case, on very different hardware, eventually updates will kill the system. The last go-round for me was an update that required a partial upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10, that left the system almost totally broken, so *solution* must be finish upgrade right? Finish 11.10 upgrade, reboot to a hard drive that wont stop spinning until it's fried. <-- OS melting hardware

Flash-forward to 5/7/12, starting to experiment with ppc ubuntu on an old imac g5, get it installed, update manager pops up with 300 plus updates and I think sure I'll let it run once, then turn off updates completely. Update, reboot, seems to be working, try to put it to sleep, then hard drive spins up, faster faster, louder louder, <-- kill machine, install debian.

Ubuntu always starts off as a great system in L.T.S. releases, but systematically fails from updating. It's just in the last year, that the OS bugs have also started melting down the hardware, after installing updates. From now on, I just fresh install, and no updates ever. Any upgrades will be new installs from live cd's.

sffvba[e0rt
May 9th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the added info.

Old thread closed.