View Full Version : Partitioning OS

March 9th, 2010, 02:04 AM
1st time poster; i have a dell studio laptop, that has a 320 gig. hard drive, with Ubuntu on a 60 gig or so partition. i originally have windows occupying the rest, but then i realized that it served no purpose since my iPod broke, so i deleted it. I've been ripping all of my dvd's as of late, and i need more than 60 gigs for that, obviously. So i'm looking for a partitioning operating system that i can install on its own partition, for editing the partitions now and then. i already have g-parted installed, but you cant edit a mounted partition (or can you?). Thanks in advance :)

March 9th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Hi Dudemcman.

If you use the gparted live disk, you should be good.

March 9th, 2010, 02:11 AM
You can use the LiveCD and gparted to resize your current Ubuntu installation if you wish.

Here is a guide to expanding the / partition. It was originally written in response to a bug which doesn't apply to your situation. You no longer have Windows, but the techniques are basically the same. Just start about half way down the first post - "Some basic rules..."

Expanding an Ubuntu System Partition (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1219270)