PDA

View Full Version : Sigmund Freud, Linux and The Narcissism of Minor Difference

mips
March 10th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Lol, a good read amd kinda rings true.... In general I find the whole zealot thing kinda childish...

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2002.2.28.112557.148.html

chimera
March 10th, 2006, 10:21 PM
In other words:

People need to lose the "winblows/M$/*** OS/******* suxxx" mentality, you're not helping us or contributing to FOSS in any way with it.

Mustard
March 10th, 2006, 10:28 PM
It goes a bit over the top. :)

Bandit
March 10th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Lol, a good read amd kinda rings true.... In general I find the whole zealot thing kinda childish...

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2002.2.28.112557.148.html
Not me.. I think this artical is over the top and dang near faoming with BS.
Only thing I found even remotely true about me is the M$ bashing. I do not like M$ Windows. Why? Becuase form experience with it since Win3.1 I found it to be very unstable on multiple platforms.
Does this mean I am some kind of Zeleot?? No, but I know **** when I smell it!

mips
March 10th, 2006, 10:41 PM
In other words:

People need to lose the "winblows/M$/*** OS/******* suxxx" mentality, you're not helping us or contributing to FOSS in any way with it.

I really could not give a continental **** to the cause of a bunch of zealots that preach a gospel similair to religous fanatics.

You sound like that idiot George Bush, "If you are not with us you are against us" kinda mentality, gimme a break :rolleyes:

If I walk into a shop to buy a certain product and the salesman/company rep starts slamming and bad mouthing the competitors pruduct you must know they dont have to much to offer and I leave. There is such a thing as bad advocacy.

Hmm, I see you only read certain passages from that article ?!

Linux is a competent operating system which can even be said to compete with professionally designed OS's such as Microsoft Windows XP. Nothing remarkable there, after all the market place for other goods has many examples of competing products which are all but identical to the casual observer.

What many people do not realise is that to some of its advocates, Linux is more than a simple tool to get a job done. To these extremists, Linux represents a philosophical almost religious belief system - a way of life based around "open source" and "free software".

There are two very distinct points in the quote above.

The problem is ZEALOTS...

I apologise for not bowing to the mighty god of FOSS, yeah right!

http://www.softpanorama.org/OSS/bad_linux_advocacy_faq.shtml

DigitalDuality
March 10th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I'm a linux zealot, but frankly i think anyone that types "M$" or takes utter (and serious) cheap shots at MS, and doesn't give credit where credit is too b/c their so blinded by their faith..take it way too far and i find to be a bit narrowminded. And more out of hate of MS than love for FOSS/Linux. In fact, the only reason they like linux, is b/c it's an alternative to the norm.

Sorry. You can have a full belief in something, be a strong advocate for it, and still be fair and semi-reasonable. That being said, this guy who wrote the article seems to take a bit too much pride in himself and the ability to lay judgement on others. Lets look at his first 2 paragraphs

Linux Zealots. We all know at least one.

From that fat smelly guy who lives in the server room at your workplace to your neighbor's fifteen year old son in his "Limp-Bizkit" T-shirt, Linux Zealots come in all shapes and sizes, but two things remain constant.

1) The personal hygeine problems

2) The inability to concieve of any valid viewpoint other than their own.

In this article I will penetrate the very psyche of the alternative OS zealot. Distasteful as that might sound, I will be probing the inner mind of the Linux Zealot attempting to shed some light on what drives these social misfits.

You may have heard about Linux - a hobbyist operating system based on the shareware principle.

First off, his childish insults detract from his arguement. I know plenty of tech guys, geeks, linux advocates and non, that have great hygene. I know MS fanboys who don't. So what?

Social misfits? Why? B/c we don't tout a corporate line? B/c we don't do what everyone else does? I'd rather be a social misfit, than a sheeple. Using linux doesn't make "non-sheep" like either. The ability to entertain alternatives, and still do the popular thing.. or do the unpopular thing.. but to make up your own damned mind rather than crowd hopping, is what does. That IMO, is a social misfit. B/c that IMO, is an individual. And individualism is in direct conflict with society and herd mentalities.

And since where is Linux shareware? Does the guy need a dictionary?

chimera
March 10th, 2006, 10:43 PM
That's exatly what I said:confused:

mips
March 10th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I'm a linux zealot, but frankly i think anyone that types "M$" or takes utter (and serious) cheap shots at MS, and doesn't give credit where credit is too b/c their so blinded by their faith..take it way too far and i find to be a bit narrowminded. And more out of hate of MS than love for FOSS/Linux. In fact, the only reason they like linux, is b/c it's an alternative to the norm.

That I can agree with. Some people are so blinded they can no longer see the forest from the trees.

1) The personal hygeine problems

2) The inability to concieve of any valid viewpoint other than their own.

1 I can't agree with and when it comes to 2 i think it applies to zealots/fanatics.

red_Marvin
March 11th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I've been on this site before, and my conclusion is either 1) That it is so full of
sarcasm and/or irony it's practically steaming, or 2) that they in their arrogant
narrow-mindedness simply is not worth my time.
http://www.adequacy.org/public/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

mips
March 11th, 2006, 12:28 AM
I've been on this site before, and my conclusion is either 1) That it is so full of
sarcasm and/or irony it's practically steaming, or 2) that they in their arrogant
narrow-mindedness simply is not worth my time.
http://www.adequacy.org/public/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html (http://http://www.adequacy.org/public/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html)

Lol, that article is funny. Only problem your link takes you to the MS home page unless you copy only the link part & paste it. www.adequacy.org/public/index.html some funny things to be read here, I reckon a lot of it is not ment to be taken seriously, a lot of people take the bait though...

chimera
March 11th, 2006, 02:08 AM

That article ought to be removed...some "concerned parents" might believe it:-? :mad:

Iandefor
March 11th, 2006, 03:13 AM
So, you really believe anything that comes from Adequacy.org?

how about this article right here:

It's clearly a joke.

EDIT: red_Marvin beat me to the punch.

chimera
March 11th, 2006, 03:17 AM
I'm not saying I believe it, I just said some "concerned parent" might:rolleyes:

kleeman
March 11th, 2006, 04:09 AM
I fart in their general direction (my poor personal hygene) and disregard their bs argument (The inability to concieve (sic) of any valid viewpoint other than their own.).

Zealot? HELL YES!!!!!

s|k
March 11th, 2006, 07:39 AM
That article is ignorant on so many levels, but it was posted to be that way. As that's what Adequacy.org was all about: trolling. The bit about narcissm of minor difference does apply to me, but not in my decision to use linux. I use Linux because I don't have the money to pay for software, and because Linux is better. That less people use it, and that I'm a bit unique for using it, is just an added plus. :P

Heh apparently the site was created by slashdot trolls and was shut down 5 years ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adequacy.org

Good riddance.

Bandit
March 11th, 2006, 09:14 AM
That article is ignorant on so many levels, but it was posted to be that way. As that's what Adequacy.org was all about: trolling. The bit about narcissm of minor difference does apply to me, but not in my decision to use linux. I use Linux because I don't have the money to pay for software, and because Linux is better. That less people use it, and that I'm a bit unique for using it, is just an added plus. :P

Heh apparently the site was created by slashdot trolls and was shut down 5 years ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adequacy.org

Good riddance.
A Men bro...

Kerberos
March 11th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Not me.. I think this artical is over the top and dang near faoming with BS.
Only thing I found even remotely true about me is the M$ bashing. I do not like M$ Windows. Why? Becuase form experience with it since Win3.1 I found it to be very unstable on multiple platforms.
Does this mean I am some kind of Zeleot?? No, but I know **** when I smell it!
You are at best a zealot and at worst a troll. Deal with it. :)

Bandit
March 11th, 2006, 10:43 AM
You are at best a zealot and at worst a troll. Deal with it. :)
A Zealot and a Troll.. Damn this just isnt my night :-?

egon spengler
March 12th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I really could not give a continental **** to the cause of a bunch of zealots that preach a gospel similair to religous fanatics.

You sound like that idiot George Bush, "If you are not with us you are against us" kinda mentality, gimme a break :rolleyes:

If I walk into a shop to buy a certain product and the salesman/company rep starts slamming and bad mouthing the competitors pruduct you must know they dont have to much to offer and I leave. There is such a thing as bad advocacy.

Hmm, I see you only read certain passages from that article ?!

There are two very distinct points in the quote above.

The problem is ZEALOTS...

I apologise for not bowing to the mighty god of FOSS, yeah right!

http://www.softpanorama.org/OSS/bad_linux_advocacy_faq.shtml

something is lacking here, either your reading comprehension or your ability to coherently express a point

Stormy Eyes
March 12th, 2006, 12:47 AM
adequacy.org has been dead for years, and with good reason. Just about every article on that site is nonsense.

mips
March 12th, 2006, 04:20 PM
something is lacking here, either your reading comprehension or your ability to coherently express a point

Hmm, and how is that ?

raggamuffin
March 12th, 2006, 09:53 PM
In other words:

um, what?...

what exactly is a "*** OS"?....and where have you ever heard such a term?...

mstlyevil
March 12th, 2006, 09:54 PM
um, what?...

what exactly is a "*** OS"?....and where have you ever heard such a term?...

It is an offensive term and we need to quit using it.

egon spengler
March 12th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Hmm, and how is that ?

Becaue the guy agreed with you that zealotry is childish at best and you called him an idiot

Lord Illidan
March 12th, 2006, 10:35 PM
^^^^^^^Calm down a bit boys^^^^^^^^^^^.

Adequacy.org is full of these nonsense articles. I don't see what this big fuss is all about.

desperatecoffee
March 12th, 2006, 11:02 PM
You guys seem to be having trouble with the whole "satire" concept. Adequacy is satire, since it mocks the ridiculous attitudes that its articles seem to be asserting--e.g. "F/OSS is communism," and the views of the uninformed, "think of the children" contingent. However, it's also a troll, in that it's designed to provoke people who think that the site is actually putting forth these opinions.

These two aims aren't incompatible: recall that when Swift wrote "A Modest Proposal" (in which he "advocated" eating poor people's babies) many people took him seriously and were pretty disgusted. That's the beauty of satire: in addition to exposing the stupidity of what it's arguing against, it exposes the stupidity (or at least naivete) of anyone too stupid to get the joke.

Also, there ought to be a grain of truth in satire, as there obviously is here--the "M$" crowd is inescapable, and even for those of us who know better, there's always the temptation to slip into that sort of rhetoric.

So basically, the Adequacy folks are by far the coolest and most intelligent trolls I'm aware of. ^_^

--Bill

P.S. The name Adequacy.org seems to me an intentional malapropism of "advocacy," implying that the "think of the children" folks (whose personas the actual writers are taking on) are concerned, but stupid. It's also a pun on the idea of satire ironically not advocating what it appears to... cool double meaning there...

egon spengler
March 13th, 2006, 01:11 AM
^^^^^^^Calm down a bit boys^^^^^^^^^^^.

Calm down? Nobody is getting heated over any of this (well I certainly am not). I know that many on this forum believe that anything less than some form of care bears/barney-esque hugs and kisses reply is overtly hostile but has it really got to the point where two posters can't even have a difference of opinion?

l0c0dantes
March 13th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Heh, adequacy is a joke site folks....

mips
March 13th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Becaue the guy agreed with you that zealotry is childish at best and you called him an idiot

Ok, I re-read everything in this thread again and I suspect you are referring to post#2 by chimera ???

After reading it again I can see that I could have interpreted it wrongly and possibly have.

When chimera said "...you're not helping us or contributing to FOSS in any way with it." I actually though he was referring to me from the "you're" part.

I now see that he could/have also been referring to the childish zealots.

chimera,

I sincerely apologise for:
1. Interpreting your response incorrectly
2. For responding to your post the way I did in post#5

I am truly sorry.

egon spengler, thanks for bringing this to my attention and making me read again !

mips
March 13th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Heh, adequacy is a joke site folks....

Thanks.

A lot of people seem to be missing the sattire, sarcasm etc. It actually becomes quite funny once you get it. It is laced with a bit of truth and exageration so it tends to hit a nerve with some as it could be misinterpreted.