PDA

View Full Version : $4000 - 1 week - Vote

Vostrocity
March 8th, 2010, 11:02 PM
To put it short, I'm asking you to vote for me in a contest.

But before you walk away, let me tell you that I will donate $4000 of the $5000 prize money if I win: $2000 for disaster relief/environmental organizations and $2000 for open source projects. I will probably split each of the $2000 so that they can go towards multiple organizations/projects.

To avoid looking like I'm scraping for votes just because I pledged to donate, I've made my submission hopefully worthwhile. Each person can vote once per day until March 17th, and it's nothing more than entering your email (no spam). For your time, each vote is also an entry to win your own Core i5 laptop.

This is not a generic message I'm spamming everywhere. I'm posting this because I feel like the Ubuntu Forums is the best place to get this kind of support.

Go here to view my entry and vote. Thank you. (http://www.accessyourcore.com/entry/121) :D

---

The original post was too long-winded, so I cleared it up a bit. I'm going to keep the old version here anyway just for reference.

To put it short, I'm asking you to vote for me in a contest.

But before you walk away, let me tell you that I will donate $4000 of the prize money if I win. $2000 for disaster relief/environmental programs and $2000 for open source software, two things that I'm very supportive of. I will probably split each of the $2000 into ten partitions and have you guys vote on which organizations/software developers each $200 partition goes out to. I will be left with $1000 (which will go towards my college tuition) and a new Core i5 laptop. The contest is sponsored by Intel, and has three different categories: Video, Slideshow, and Photo with prize sums of $7000, $5000, and $3000 respectively.

To avoid looking like I'm scraping for votes just because I pledged to donate, I've made my submission hopefully worthwhile. It's entered for the $5000 slideshow category, whose current leader has around 1000 votes. We have until the March 17th to pass the leader and win the contest. Each person can vote once per day, and it's nothing more than entering an email. For your time, each vote is also an entry to win your own Core i5 laptop.

This is not a generic message I'm spamming everywhere. I'm posting this because I feel like the Ubuntu Forums is the best place to get this kind of support.

Go here to view my entry and vote. Thank you. :D
(Let me warn you the slideshow is three and a half minutes long and slightly depressing.)

Delever
March 8th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Aren't we just selfish :P

Dayofswords
March 8th, 2010, 11:31 PM
aww hell, why not

other than the march when it should be feb typo and kinda lame line of "and not rocked in a good way" "i liked it

*voted*

typo here and there too, but w/e

howefield
March 8th, 2010, 11:47 PM
...I will donate $4000 of the prize money if I win. $2000 for disaster relief/environmental programs and $2000 for open source software, two things that I'm very supportive of. I will probably split each of the $2000 into ten partitions and have you guys vote on which organizations/software developers each $200 partition goes out to.

Doesn't this contradict what you say on the competition website ?

To avoid looking like I'm scraping for votes just because I pledged to donate, I've made my submission hopefully worthwhile. It's entered for the $5000 slideshow category, whose current leader has around 1000 votes.

Good Luck but really, wouldn't it have been better to have done it again ? Getting the date wrong isn't exactly like forgetting a birthday or something trivial like that. An "Oops" overlay message comes across as a little flippant..

Vostrocity
March 9th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Doesn't this contradict what you say on the competition website ?
It's not worded very well, but it wasn't meant to be contradictory. Here I said "$2000 for disaster relief/environmental programs and $2000 for open source" and on the entry page I said "I will donate $4000, including $1000 for Chile". Since the general audience wouldn't quite understand what I mean by donating to open source software, I just said $4000 in all. That $2000 for disaster relief/environmental meant that $1000 would be for Chile and the other $1000 would be for the environment.

Good Luck but really, wouldn't it have been better to have done it again ? Getting the date wrong isn't exactly like forgetting a birthday or something trivial like that. An "Oops" overlay message comes across as a little flippant..
You see, YouTube doesn't let you reupload a video. You have to delete and upload a new one. And I didn't catch that mistake until the entry was accepted and posted, so now I can't really change that. I'll rewrite it to sound more sincere than "Oops" though.

Dayofswords
March 9th, 2010, 12:11 AM
i dont see the issue if he wins

it seems the whole contest is for a video that... access's your core (weird intel marketers need some sunlight...), if you win, you get $4000 and a laptop

he's going to donate 3/4 of the cash
that 75%, a pass in my book =p

also, the typos arent that bad, if he win, chances are small intel will use the video

Vostrocity
March 9th, 2010, 12:20 AM
i dont see the issue if he wins

it seems the whole contest is for a video that... access's your core (weird intel marketers need some sunlight...), if you win, you get $4000 and a laptop

he's going to donate 3/4 of the cash
that 75%, a pass in my book =p

also, the typos arent that bad, if he win, chances are small intel will use the video

Thanks. I also edited my first post to clarify that I will donate 4/5 of the $5000 prize, not 3/4 of $4000.

forrestcupp
March 9th, 2010, 12:21 AM
You used Windows Movie Maker, didn't you? :)

I voted for you. At the very least, I have a chance to win a laptop. You have 5 votes now, so if the leader has 1,000, you have a lot of catching up to do.

Vostrocity
March 9th, 2010, 12:34 AM
You used Windows Movie Maker, didn't you? :)

I voted for you. At the very least, I have a chance to win a laptop. You have 5 votes now, so if the leader has 1,000, you have a lot of catching up to do.

Nah, I definitely didn't use WMM. It may seem like it but I didn't want it cheese it up with fancy transitions. I'll admit that I couldn't find a suitable Linux video editor though, so I'd be happy to donate plenty of the prize money to PiTiVi or OpenShot.

Yes I realize I have a lot of catching up to do, but there's a lot of people on the Ubuntu Forums, right? :)

mechro
March 9th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I voted. Good Luck.

I'm afraid the "Access Your Core" intel marketing thingy just makes me throw up.

Vostrocity
March 9th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Does anyone have an idea of how I can "prove" that I will be donating the $4000? I don't think enough people will vote for me unless I promote this further. And I don't really think promoting it will get me all the way if not everyone can trust that I'll actually donate.

Pogeymanz
March 9th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Well, I believe you and I voted.

Vostrocity
March 9th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Bump for the night.

Hey everyone, I know it's hard to take someone's word over the internet, but I'm 100% serious about this. I'm not desperate for that $1000 but the $4000 could help a lot of people out there. I'm sure the money could help projects like Docky or OpenShot. If we can get 300 people to vote for 7 days (there are 9 voting days left) we can probably get the prize.

msathis
March 9th, 2010, 10:47 AM
You can write your own script to vote..But im not sure about that.It may be illegal or impossible.