PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partition problem during 9.10 install: device busy

Pratik Ali
March 8th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Hi,

Upon partitioning during install, I receive the following message:

Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition /dev/sda2 -- Device or resource busy. This means Linux won't know about any changes you made to /dev/sda2 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't mount it or use it in any way before rebooting.

It is repeated over and over again.

This is during the installation of Karmic, and I have tried it in various possible ways, i.e., first by manually assigning the partitions, then even by letting the setup do it for me.

My specifications were:

swap 2833mbs
/ 10288mbs
/home 10000mbs
fat32 20000mbs

have been running on live cds ever since.

Please help.

khelben1979
March 8th, 2010, 06:42 PM
It can be that the Linux kernel don't like your hardware. Have you tried installing an older version of Ubuntu?

Also, if it's a hardware problem, it could be that your harddrive has been damaged in some way and that SpinRite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinrite) would be able to fix it for you, but now I'm just guessing. Is it a laptop? Because then harddrives have a tendency to get damaged faster.

Pratik Ali
March 9th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I retried it. This time, i gave up dreams of making a fat32 partition (a bird in hand is worth two in bush, eh?). I also made ext3 partitions instead of ext4 for / and /home mountpoints.

AND IT WORKED!!

But i wonder why.... :(

somebody care to explain??