PDA

View Full Version : Windows uses UFS?!

makaki
March 8th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I was fixing a PC that runs XP. Then suddenly I removed a usb flash memory. Then I got this message (in the attachment).

Notice: \Harddisk\DR4

It looks like Windows uses UFS(Unix File System), but sure it uses '\' instead of '/'. If this is true, isn't it violating open source license? i.e shouldn't be free or open source. I don't know about the license behind UFS.

Dayofswords
March 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
"\" are used for local files in windows

the \Device\blah is normal most OS i think

plus it like it (internally) but not the same code

random ramblings. I may be wrong, in fact, theres a good chance of it

Grifulkin
March 8th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Wow, that is all I have to say is wow. And most likely it wouldn't be against the copyright of UFS.

Bachstelze
March 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM
How on earth did you come to the conclusion that Windows uses UFS just by seeing that?

tcoffeep
March 8th, 2010, 03:54 PM
How on earth did you come to the conclusion that Windows uses UFS just by seeing that?

If someone wants to see something, they usually do.

mickie.kext
March 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM
It looks like Windows uses UFS(Unix File System), but sure it uses '\' instead of '/'. If this is true, isn't it violating open source license? i.e shouldn't be free or open source. I don't know about the license behind UFS.

UFS is distributed under Modified BSD who do not forbid making proprietary versions. So they could do it but... how did you come to conclusion that Windows use UFS? It do not uses UFS.

It uses NTFS. "New Techlogy File System" which is developed by IBM and Microsoft in early 90es. It is not open source.

Bachstelze
March 8th, 2010, 04:09 PM
UFS is distributed under Modified BSD licence who permits lockdown of previously open source code.

Could you please stop spreading that FUD?

mickie.kext
March 8th, 2010, 04:15 PM

Fixed wording. Are you satisfied?

madhi19
March 8th, 2010, 05:59 PM
UFS is distributed under Modified BSD who do not forbid making proprietary versions. So they could do it but... how did you come to conclusion that Windows use UFS? It do not uses UFS.

It uses NTFS. "New Techlogy File System" which is developed by IBM and Microsoft in early 90es. It is not open source.

I think it time they rename NTFS after all it not New anymore! :p

makaki
March 8th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I said it uses UFS because it's starts with '\' which something like root folder, then 'Device' which also exists in the root folder...etc

chriswyatt
March 8th, 2010, 07:36 PM
And there is a Device folder in the root of C: then?

jrothwell97
March 8th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I said it uses UFS because it's starts with '\' which something like root folder, then 'Device' which also exists in the root folder...etc

That's not UFS, that's simply a low-level naming convention.

It's no secret: just take a look at boot.ini or try using the Windows recovery console without seeing the internal device naming system.

The naming convention is not the same as the file system.

kk0sse54
March 8th, 2010, 09:14 PM

First off, do you even know what UFS is?

whiskeylover
March 8th, 2010, 09:19 PM
First off, do you even know what UFS is?

Why don't you explain it to him then? Why are you rude for no reason?

Barrucadu
March 8th, 2010, 10:41 PM

It's not rude, it's a simple question.

tcoffeep
March 8th, 2010, 11:30 PM
If you look for a rude tone in that question, it's quite possible to see it... if you look for it.

chriswyatt
March 8th, 2010, 11:34 PM
If you look for a rude tone in that question, it's quite possible to see it... if you look for it.

I sometimes do that on the internet actually, read something in a rude or sarcastic tone and forget that the tone of voice actually came from my head and not the person on the forum. I've occasionally been a little defensive when I probably shouldn't have been.

kk0sse54
March 9th, 2010, 12:09 AM

Like Barrucadu said, it was but a simple question whose answer is key to refuting your original statement. I apologize if you took it to be rude, but quite to the contrary it was meant to provoke a search for the answer which could have been easily accomplished with a simple google or wikipedia search rather than being unnecessarily spoon fed as so often happens on these forums.

whiskeylover
March 9th, 2010, 04:06 AM
In that case, I apologize for my statement.

Dayofswords
March 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM
i was working on a lab in my operating systems II: Windows class

i did find this
http://dayofswords.com/picsforanything/Capture.JPG

its just an internally naming thing really

forrestcupp
March 10th, 2010, 11:10 PM

Where was the FUD? The modified BSD license does allow source code that was previously open to be locked down and distributed in a proprietary format, as long as the requirements are met.

I don't see any fear, uncertainty, or doubt in that statement.