PDA

View Full Version : [other] folder name question

sxmaxchine
March 8th, 2010, 01:29 PM
as you may know that in windows you can not name a folder CON or AUX. i know why this is and why i was reading information about it i was wondering what would happen if i was to make a folder on ubuntu called CON and copied it to my windows computer.

sxmaxchine
March 9th, 2010, 02:05 PM
can someone pleas answer i realy want to know what happens but i cant do it because my power supply is broken

dannyboy79
March 9th, 2010, 02:14 PM
can't be done. you can however create the folder named con in windows, see here: http://kerneltrap.org/node/5772

sxmaxchine
March 9th, 2010, 02:18 PM
ok thanks i didnt think you could do it, but do you know what happens to the folder whenyou try to copy it to windows

x33a
March 9th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Well firstly if you know the dangers/limitations, you shouldn't do it. but if you are too curious, then you should try it yourself and post the result here :)

sxmaxchine
March 9th, 2010, 02:29 PM
yea i wana try it on my desktop but with windows and i dont wan2 do it on my sisters laptop so i should try it on a public pc haha

x33a
March 9th, 2010, 02:55 PM
yea i wana try it on my desktop but with windows and i dont wan2 do it on my sisters laptop so i should try it on a public pc haha
lol :lol:.

Or you could try it on your sister's laptop and then convince her for using linux, citing windows' unstability ;)

Jokes aside: Maybe you should try it on a virtual machine, that would be the safest bet without bothering others.

sxmaxchine
March 9th, 2010, 03:06 PM
yea i should try it on a virtual muchine maybe on the weekend