PDA

View Full Version : Join TuxSpace, a linux user social network

d3v1150m471c
March 8th, 2010, 06:25 AM
http://tuxspace.ning.com/

I'd like to introduce everyone to TuxSpace, a linux user social network. I hope you guys can take a liking to it. It's difficult to get things like this going, so even if you don't feel like using the features, please create an account to build it's popularity. I think this could become a great tool for people using linux and staying in touch with like-minded people.

Some of the features I've included:

Chat
Forum
Photos
Videos
Member Profiles (just like myspace or facebook)
Member Groups
100% free now and forever

If you all have in questions, comments, or solutions please drop me a message.

Kdar
March 8th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Two more similar sites were posted here before.
LinuxArmy and something else.

Well... maybe yours is a little different. I didn't note the chat thing.

d3v1150m471c
March 8th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Cool, I'll have to check those out and see if I can collect some ideas. My goal isn't competition but rather a nice networking place for linux users.

Psumi
March 8th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Does it require to be Creative Commons, GPL and whatnot?

If so, I can't join. (identi.ca requires those things by the way.)

d3v1150m471c
March 8th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Does it require to be Creative Commons, GPL and whatnot?

If so, I can't join. (identi.ca requires those things by the way.)

No, it's just a social network like myspace or facebook but for linux users.

Psumi
March 8th, 2010, 07:18 AM
No, it's just a social network like myspace or facebook but for linux users.

so is identi.ca, but thanks for telling me.

hoopoo
March 8th, 2010, 08:36 AM
< is now a Member of tuxspace.

d3v1150m471c
March 8th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone who responded to the thread and/or signed up at Tux Space.

d3v1150m471c
March 9th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I made a few changes and added a music player that can be modified by anyone.

d3v1150m471c
March 12th, 2010, 02:22 AM
The network should be done for now. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

phillychease
March 12th, 2010, 06:13 AM
cool site! :)

djsroknrol
March 12th, 2010, 06:37 AM
There's also Fossunet (http://fossnet.linux-hardcore.com/), which I'm a member of:

d3v1150m471c
March 12th, 2010, 07:13 AM
cool site! :)

Thanks mate. I've been working on it constantly to make it a place others can enjoy.

d3v1150m471c
March 15th, 2010, 02:12 AM
bravo uniform mike papa

NightwishFan
March 15th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I might join sometime. It seems very nice.

richs-lxh
March 15th, 2010, 02:29 AM
There's also Fossunet (http://fossnet.linux-hardcore.com/), which I'm a member of:

Me too.

MasterNetra
March 15th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Maybe you could work with the other linux social sites and together you could form a bigger network in which users from all of them can interact with one another. With reasons for joining one and not another would involve stuff like site layout and such. But members from all could send messages, search and find others and such. Just a idea though.

bigsmitty64
March 15th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Just joined up! I like it, very easy to use. One question though, how do you change the music players colors and such? Not liking the default color hahaha!
I really hope it grows for you/us man!

madjr
March 15th, 2010, 05:10 AM
http://tuxspace.ning.com/

I'd like to introduce everyone to TuxSpace, a linux user social network. I hope you guys can take a liking to it. It's difficult to get things like this going, so even if you don't feel like using the features, please create an account to build it's popularity. I think this could become a great tool for people using linux and staying in touch with like-minded people.

Some of the features I've included:

Chat
Forum
Photos
Videos
Member Profiles (just like myspace or facebook)
Member Groups
100% free now and forever

If you all have in questions, comments, or solutions please drop me a message.

social networks are not easy to build, in fact they're hard, specially when there are so many big ones

i give you these 4 Albert Einstein quotes/advice which will help you in your journey:

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new"

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited"

"The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive. Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

use them wisely padawan. good luck and cheers ;)

d3v1150m471c
March 15th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Just joined up! I like it, very easy to use. One question though, how do you change the music players colors and such? Not liking the default color hahaha!
I really hope it grows for you/us man!

I really do appreciate all the replies and new members. I just checked to find 3 new members and was incredibly excited. The music player on the homepage is not changeable by members but I'll see what I can do. What were you suggesting?

bigsmitty64
March 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I was just wondering about the colors, is but I figured it out! Hope the new members keep coming in!

bigsmitty64
March 15th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I've checked out the other ones mentioned here, but TuxSpace is really a lot simpler and seems on the right track.
It IS indeed hard to start a social site and make it work, as someone said here earlier, but it starts with members and help from the community right? They all started small. haha!
If you haven't checked it out yet you really should, lets give em some support and sign up!!!!

ubunterooster
March 15th, 2010, 08:29 PM
ooh! I gotta join! I neglect my FB acct b/c nobody wants to hear more linux stuff.

XubuRoxMySox
March 15th, 2010, 10:56 PM
ning.com has some definite pitfalls, though. I think when the network grows, you're going to have a heck of a time dealing with spam, like almost all the ning.com groups do, unless you impose some restrictions that make it a little harder to join and participate.

The Ubuntu Social Network (http://myubuntu.ning.com), for example, insists on being "open" as in "free and open source" or something... and it has been reduced to a handful of people - maybe 4 to 6 - who actually post articles and discuss anything of interest. Every morning when I checked in, the "latest activity" showed a dozen or more "blog posts" and discussions from new "members" offering discounts on ****** and stuff like that. The moderators are kept too busy dealing with that to manage the group, and in their zeal to delete spam and remove spammers, they ended up removing some of the "good apples" along with the bad. It's got to be a major headache for those poor, overworked mods. But from its former glory, it has been reduced to a tiny little handful of people doing online puzzles and posting random little comments.

That group - and two others on ning.com that suffered the same fate and ended up being abandoned by the majority of their members - has put me off ning.com completely. The new network sounds like a cool idea, but not on ning.

Robin

richs-lxh
March 16th, 2010, 01:25 AM
This is why fossunet doesn't get spam, we admin our own server.

d3v1150m471c
March 16th, 2010, 02:24 AM
What I will probably end up doing is having willing volunteers moderate specific content to keep the content within certain parameters. I don't want it to be dictatorial but I'd like parents to feel comfortable letting their children on the site. This won't be until later once we have many members. The more private things will only be moderated by the member. That I will never infringe upon.

One thing I'd like to mention is I don't consider this "my network". I'll maintain it and the like but it's for the members. Thus I am open to suggestions, in fact encouraging of such.

d3v1150m471c
March 17th, 2010, 04:15 AM
I recently added a new tab to the site that will house useful links. I think you all can guess the name of the tab. If anyone wants to add a webpage to it that is linux oriented and useful then let me know and I'll add it to the tab.

ndefontenay
March 17th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Hi.

I wanted to join but my impression of the web page is that it's really cluttered and I have to be really willing to stay on it and join and figure out what to do.

The black color doesn't really put the web page in the best light possible.

You should have a look to facebook, flickr, gmail, our beloved ubuntuforums.org and agoda.com (where I work). It's all white, light colors with a splash here and there.

I believe less is beautiful. You could improve your conversion ratio (people coming and creating and account) by a lot just by making the web site better.

Your conversion ratio can be calculated like this: [No of members]/[total human traffic]. You'll have to clear your traffic data from all the bots. As you perform changes you might want to compare your conversion ratio before the change and after the change. If it's worst, revert back to the way it was before.

d3v1150m471c
March 17th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Hi.

I wanted to join but my impression of the web page is that it's really cluttered and I have to be really willing to stay on it and join and figure out what to do.

The black color doesn't really put the web page in the best light possible.

You should have a look to facebook, flickr, gmail, our beloved ubuntuforums.org and agoda.com (where I work). It's all white, light colors with a splash here and there.

I believe less is beautiful. You could improve your conversion ratio (people coming and creating and account) by a lot just by making the web site better.

Your conversion ratio can be calculated like this: [No of members]/[total human traffic]. You'll have to clear your traffic data from all the bots. As you perform changes you might want to compare your conversion ratio before the change and after the change. If it's worst, revert back to the way it was before.

The clutter was definitely noted and getting everything right is still a work in progress. Nonetheless, it's in the works. Thanks for the suggestion.

inobe
March 17th, 2010, 07:56 AM
best site on the web for social networking (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php)

enjoy, you can even help people

d3v1150m471c
March 17th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I made a lot of changes. Let me know what ya think ;)

A lot less clutter and more straight foward.

Chame_Wizard
March 17th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Could be better.:P

d3v1150m471c
March 17th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Could be better.:P

Absolutely, mate. And what would you do to make it better?

ndefontenay
March 17th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Clutter wise it's much better already. Things are getting organized.

The join button should be much bigger and brighter than the rest.
That's the button you don't want people to look for.

For me, the best join in / register method belongs to launchpad:
https://login.launchpad.net/+decide

Type your email, if you got an account, put the password otherwise register. All in one.

The way your page is set up doesn't allow for this or you'll need a welcome page before the main page.

The chat sign up button is also confusing. Do you join just the chat room or the whole page by clicking on it?

The font is really geeky. It looks like linux in the year 1990.

Colors are still very sad. Better than black but still very sad.
No dark colors, no horribly bright colors or high contrast mix.

The colors and font inside the chat are really cool in contrast. The whole site should follow the same feel about it.

d3v1150m471c
March 17th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Unfortunately ning limits your ability to adjust certain things, such as specific tabs. The font however I can as I'd thought about that as well. Right now establishing a main page before the network isn't going to be possible. Thanks again for the response.

d3v1150m471c
March 18th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I'll probably stick with what I have right now save a few things I am still mulling. Thanks again to everyone who joined and/or provided constructive criticism.

d3v1150m471c
March 19th, 2010, 07:28 AM
bump

d3v1150m471c
March 24th, 2010, 12:05 AM
bump

d3v1150m471c
March 26th, 2010, 05:59 AM
bump

NightwishFan
March 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM
How is the site going?

richs-lxh
April 26th, 2010, 12:05 AM
best site on the web for social networking (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php)

enjoy, you can even help people

Fossunet and TuxSpace are multi-distro places to hang out. They are social sites because you expand your knowledge by meeting up with other users of other distros outside of a single distro forum.

Fossunet has already been given a chance by Debian, Archlinux, Mint, Crunchbang, Slackware, Bsd, Frugalware, Salix and Ubuntu users as well as other interest groups.

A recent makeover and a push by other Linux distro communities to promote this open source project on their forums and identi.ca has shown that there is interest in a non-proprietary, non-ad-filled, non-microsoft-partnered social networking platform. (Facebook)

Ubuntu forums is an awesome community, with a great collection of social networking tools, however, they are only Ubuntu-social. There's no interaction with other Linux users. Obviously this is the "Ubuntu" forum, so why would there be?. That's why other social sites have been created.

Just a quick explanation :)