PDA

View Full Version : Installed Debian Testing on Mom's Laptop

NightwishFan
March 8th, 2010, 04:24 AM
My mom wanted a laptop for writing, pictures and simple web browsing. I went with her to pick it out, and my younger sister was with us as well. I bought her a similar model to mine, which came with Windows 7. She used to use Ubuntu rarely on our desktop but she uses Windows at her work.

She remarked to me: Can you put Ubuntu on it, because I trust it over Windows. At my work out computers are so slow. She is a person who knows what she wants, so I agreed. (I am not flaming Windows, they probably use old machines with Windows 2000) Since I have the same model, I did not want to install Ubuntu, which had problems, so I installed Debian Testing.

My sister (who is still in her teens) said: Did you put that stupid Linux on this? My mom told her: What? It is much safer to use it, and I like it.

I am happy my mom enjoys free software as well, and it makes it so easy for me to fix bugs. I can just use a virtual desktop or ssh to repair any problems, but there probably will not be any. She is a Gnome veteran.

I have a question as well for any Debian users. I know that Debian Testing will eventually be the next stable. If I set it up as "Testing" instead of "Squeeze" in sources.list will it rolling release to the next "Testing" when stable is release?

kerry_s
March 8th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I have a question as well for any Debian users. I know that Debian Testing will eventually be the next stable. If I set it up as "Testing" instead of "Squeeze" in sources.list will it rolling release to the next "Testing" when stable is release?

yes

mamamia88
March 8th, 2010, 04:44 AM
i gave up on debian i just want a hassle free computer right now so i use ubuntu

NightwishFan
March 8th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Thanks a lot. I much prefer the "update when you want" model, though it is worse for security I think. Though by Debian standards I bet it works well.

witeshark17
March 8th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Personally, I'd prefer stabilty over all other traits... but w/e.

NightwishFan
March 8th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Well, Debian Stable would probably not work well with this laptop. Newer Intel drivers are much better. Thanks for the response though, I agree.