PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB2 Problems with ubuntu 2.6.31-20

saejin
March 8th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Things worked pretty good until I upgraded to ubuntu version 2.6.31-20
Now the system hangs during boot about 3 out 4 times. By simply pressing the reset over and over, it eventually boots into either ubuntu version 2.6.31-17 or ubuntu version 2.6.31-20. both hang. sometimes is hangs waiting for the root file system, and sometimes it hangs after apparmor.

rebooting and rebooting it eventually boots without changing anything. Seems like a time problem.

woodmaster
March 8th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Try reinstalling grub...worked for me to fix grub errors:
http://linuxers.org/howto/how-recover-grub2-ubuntu-910-karmic-koala

saejin
March 8th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I did reinstall GRUB2.
There also seems to be a problem with the splash screen. Even though /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme
finds the splash screen, it is never used, and always used the default mono theme. This seems to be a problem when /boot/grub/grub.cnf tries to run the check if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then set gfxmode
This never succeeds, so gfxmode is never set. When I try to run loadfont from the command line I get "command not found"

mbogevik
March 19th, 2010, 09:37 AM
This happens with my HP Proliant ML110 server too. Reboot to 2.6.31-20-server hangs the computer when boot start, always.

What worries me is that it seems that kernel has been updated automatic by security updater.
A unsafe update like this should never had been done automatically.

The good thing is that my server ALWAYS start and work perfect (as normal) when manually selecting kernel 2.6.31-19-server.