PDA

View Full Version : Can't compile code in linux

fasoulas
March 7th, 2010, 08:44 PM
i have a problem compiling a very simple c++ in linux.

Basically i have written ,compiled and run the program in Microsoft visual studio 2008 and it runs flawlessly but the same code on linux doesn't compile.

I tried with geany , codeblocks and the command line but i get the same error every time

the program is consisted by 3 files the main.cpp math.h and math.cpp
the main.cpp is the file tha includes the main function

i get this when i try to compile main.cpp
main.cpp:(.text+0xa): undefined reference to `menu()'
main.cpp:(.text+0x83): undefined reference to `square_of_number(double)'
main.cpp:(.text+0xfe): undefined reference to `sum_of_numbers(double, double)'
main.cpp:(.text+0x179): undefined reference to `product_of_numbers(double, double)'

and this when i try to compile math.cpp
start.S:115: undefined reference to `main'

lisati
March 7th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Are you able to show us some code?
If you do, put
at the start and at the end

Sim & Co.
March 7th, 2010, 08:50 PM
g++ main.cpp math.h math.cpp -o main

-- or simply add an include statement in main.cpp.

fasoulas
March 7th, 2010, 09:02 PM
g++ main.cpp math.h math.cpp -o main

-- or simply add an include statement in main.cpp.

if i put this in terminal it doesn't show the error messages,what does this mean? How can i run the program to see if it works?

Sorry if i make a lot of questions but i mainly program on visual studio but i also want to learn on linux

By the way thanks both for replying

Sim & Co.
March 7th, 2010, 09:03 PM
No error messages - possible ( most of the bugs doesn't show off just like that ) success.

./main

** Execute it from the directory you were in when you compiled your application.

fasoulas
March 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM
No error messages - possible ( most of the bugs doesn't show off just like that ) success.

./main

** Execute it from the directory you were in when you compiled your application.

It worked.Thanks a lot

But do you know a way to do this in geany?

Sim & Co.
March 7th, 2010, 09:09 PM
It worked.Thanks a lot

But do you know a way to do this in geany?

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Header_file) know how to :)

fasoulas
March 7th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Header_file) know how to :)

OK i will search and find.

thanks again

MadCow108
March 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM
A header file won't solve the linking problem
undefined reference is an error in the linking stage, not the compile stage.

What the compiler did in Sim's line is following:
gcc -c math.cpp -o math.o //compile math.cpp to object file
gcc -c main.cpp -o main.o //compile main.cpp to object file
gcc main.o math.o -o math // link main.o and math.o to math executable

so far I know geany has no (yet) got a good way to do this without makefiles.
A makefile is a file containing all the build rules executed with the command make
http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html

Sim & Co.
March 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM
OK i will search and find.

thanks again

What are you going to search for ? The link points to a specific section and all you need to do is read and understand it :p

MadCow108
March 7th, 2010, 09:23 PM
unfortunately you're leading him at the wrong track
the above errors have nothing to do with header files

fasoulas
March 7th, 2010, 11:26 PM
A header file won't solve the linking problem
undefined reference is an error in the linking stage, not the compile stage.

What the compiler did in Sim's line is following:
gcc -c math.cpp -o math.o //compile math.cpp to object file
gcc -c main.cpp -o main.o //compile main.cpp to object file
gcc main.o math.o -o math // link main.o and math.o to math executable

so far I know geany has no (yet) got a good way to do this without makefiles.
A makefile is a file containing all the build rules executed with the command make
http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html

i am using header files because of a programming course i am currently taking at university.

The exersice i had to do was mainly for windows but i tried compiling the code on linux just to learn, and i don't really know what a makefile is,but i will try to learn

fasoulas
March 7th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Can you suggest another linux IDE that can help,except the command line?

MadCow108
March 8th, 2010, 12:34 AM
i am using header files because of a programming course i am currently taking at university.

The exersice i had to do was mainly for windows but i tried compiling the code on linux just to learn, and i don't really know what a makefile is,but i will try to learn

this is the advantage of the command line.
IDE's hide how the process of building a program actually works.
Using the command line teaches you a lot about that.

Of course it can be debatable if this knowledge is useful when you have a professional IDE at your disposal which handles all that for you.
I personally consider it something one should at least have a look at especially if you want to develop in linux.
It also helps a lot when something in the IDE does not work how its supposed to work.

I have little experience with free linux IDE's but the most suggested are Netbeans, Eclipse and code::blocks but as all more complex IDE's they have a bit of a learning curve.
I mostly use geany for its simplicity and speed or just the editor vim for quick hacking.

matthew.ball
March 8th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Can you suggest another linux IDE that can help,except the command line?
Honestly, why are people so scared of the command line?

Most IDEs just hide their compilation, but they are all working at the command line. The debugging too.
As a user, the difference is we're given this in a widget as opposed to white text on a black background (or whatever colour scheme you're using).

It just means we'll probably have to read a bit more. But really, if we're interested in software development, we won't get far if we're not willing to read much, we could consider it training for later.

Just as MadCow has said, I honestly feel programmers should start with the command line first - I'm not saying IDEs are useless; quite the opposite in fact.
But it's important to understand what it is an IDE is doing.

I would strongly suggest using Emacs. Learn gdb, and learn about Makefiles too. I wouldn't recommend these unless there was a reason to use them.

There's a learning curve to using the above tools - and I don't mention this to scare you off, but rather so you'll keep at it. Just go through the Emacs tutorial (which comes with Emacs) and then keep using Emacs, after less then a week you'll be comfortable.

fasoulas
March 9th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Honestly, why are people so scared of the command line?

Most IDEs just hide their compilation, but they are all working at the command line. The debugging too.
As a user, the difference is we're given this in a widget as opposed to white text on a black background (or whatever colour scheme you're using).

It just means we'll probably have to read a bit more. But really, if we're interested in software development, we won't get far if we're not willing to read much, we could consider it training for later.

Just as MadCow has said, I honestly feel programmers should start with the command line first - I'm not saying IDEs are useless; quite the opposite in fact.
But it's important to understand what it is an IDE is doing.

I would strongly suggest using Emacs. Learn gdb, and learn about Makefiles too. I wouldn't recommend these unless there was a reason to use them.

There's a learning curve to using the above tools - and I don't mention this to scare you off, but rather so you'll keep at it. Just go through the Emacs tutorial (which comes with Emacs) and then keep using Emacs, after less then a week you'll be comfortable.

I followed your advise.I played a little with the terminal and the g++ compiler and it seems very easy to use and it's also very fast.