PDA

View Full Version : [other] OpenBox and wireless problem

brandon88tube
March 7th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I can't figure out how to start up my wireless when I run just an OpenBox session. Any help to get this up and running would be greatly appreciated.

nothingspecial
March 7th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Try wicd.

It starts at boot.

hhh
March 7th, 2010, 10:36 PM
You didn't say how you were running Openbox, or whether you had a working wireless connection with another configuration, but I can tell you what works for me. I have a standard Karmic setup, wireless works with Network Manager. I added a stand-alone Openbox session to that, added the following to Openbox's autostart.sh file...

nm-applet &
Network Manager now connects automatically when I login to my Openbox session, same as with my Gnome session.

brandon88tube
March 8th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I'm trying to run an OpenBox session by itself. I originally had a gnome install that has a working wireless that is using NetworkManager and the nm-applet. If I didn't originally have this setup how would I go about connecting wirelessly? I'm curious because I might try to do a clean install sometime in the future with just OpenBox.

eriqjaffe
March 8th, 2010, 05:23 AM
If you're going from a blank slate with just Openbox, I highly recommend you use wicd - it'd be easier if you have a wired connection so you can just apt-get it.

Wicd will run as a daemon - if you want to have a tray icon, you can add
wicd-client &" to your autostart.sh file.

brandon88tube
March 9th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Hmm, for the time being seeing as how its already installed for now, I've been running nm-applet. Is this a gnome app? Either way, I guess I'll have to try out wicd one of these days.

eriqjaffe
March 9th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Yeah, nm-applet is a Gnome app, which is why you already have it available.

brandon88tube
March 11th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Just an update if anyone was interested. I've been using wicd for a little bit now and it seems to be ok. Can't really compare except that it runs way before nm-applet ever would. Think it runs right after boot when its loading daemons etc.