PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please Help want to remove ubuntu and grub

balkrish999
March 7th, 2010, 02:48 PM
hello i want to remove ubuntu .10 from my system i currenty have windows 7 and ubuntu 9.10 on a dual boot and the grub . the reason for this is im going to install ubunut on another laptop and i want this laptop to just have 7. :P:P

i dont have any os disks as my laptop did not come with any also ( its got a recovery partions )

how do i get rid of uubuntu and grub and safly have windows 7 only like normally thanks what do i do how do i do it ? thanks

2hot6ft2
March 7th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I'm sure it's pretty much the same as xp so here's what I saved on switching back to windows xp.

Boot from the windows XP CD, press the "R" key in the setup in order to start the restoration console. Select your windows XP installation from the list, and enter the administrator password.
Enter the command: "FIXMBR" (without the quotes) at the input prompt and confirm the next question with a "Y" (without the quotes). Use exit to restore the computer.

That will fix XP right up :)
That would just leave deleting the ubuntu partition and expanding the win7 partition to take that space back.

And here's where you can download a windows 7 recovery cd.
Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs (http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/)

Might want to wait for others to respond in case something's changed, meanwhile you can start the disc download.

dgoodin
March 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Would a similar procedure work for deleting a Windows partition? I have a Sony laptoo that originally came with Vista. I partitioned the disk and added Ubuntu. I now have a virtual box running under Ubuntu. I don't need three OS, so I want to eliminate the Windows partition. How would I do this?

balkrish999
March 7th, 2010, 04:26 PM
can some1 please help

2hot6ft2
March 7th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Would a similar procedure work for deleting a Windows partition? I have a Sony laptoo that originally came with Vista. I partitioned the disk and added Ubuntu. I now have a virtual box running under Ubuntu. I don't need three OS, so I want to eliminate the Windows partition. How would I do this?
That's the opposite of what this thread is about so you would start by starting a tread for it otherwise you would be hijacking this thread. Taking a screenshot of GParted
System > Administration > GParted
and attaching it to your post in the new thread along with the results of

fdisk -l
in a terminal
Applications > Accessories Terminal
would help to get answers when you start the tread since we don't know how your partitions are set up.

I'm sure more will chime in on this balkrish999 it may take a little while since it's Sunday morning but have faith.

balkrish999
March 7th, 2010, 05:37 PM
can some1 help me not someone else i made this thread and i need help plese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! help me

balkrish999
March 8th, 2010, 04:29 PM
hello i want to remove ubuntu .10 from my system i currenty have windows 7 and ubuntu 9.10 on a dual boot and the grub . the reason for this is im going to install ubunut on another laptop and i want this laptop to just have 7. :razz::razz:

i dont have any os disks as my laptop did not come with any also ( its got a recovery partions )

how do i get rid of uubuntu and grub and safly have windows 7 only like normally thanks what do i do how do i do it ? thanks

oldfred
March 8th, 2010, 04:56 PM
If your PC did not come with a complete Vista or Win7 installation CD, you can download a Recovery Disc at the following links:
Windows Vista/7 Recovery Disc - for repairs only
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/
http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/
Vista will not repair XP(they create the boot sectors differently) but can run check disk.

I would not increase the size of the win7 partition but reformat the linux partitions to NTFS and use them for data. Do not use gparted to move the win7 partition, but you can use it to reformat the linux partitions. Download a gparted liveCD.

balkrish999
March 17th, 2010, 08:41 AM
can some1 please help i got windws 7 need step by step instucstion on what to do its on a dual boot wid windows 7 and ubunut

Mark Phelps
March 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM
can some1 please help i got windws 7 need step by step instucstion on what to do its on a dual boot wid windows 7 and ubunut

Oldfred propvided you some things to try.

If you're not willing to follow suggestions, then quit posting the same question over and over.

presence1960
March 18th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Oldfred propvided you some things to try.

If you're not willing to follow suggestions, then quit posting the same question over and over.

Before you remove Ubuntu, boot into ubuntu and open a terminal and run
sudo apt-get install liloIgnore the warning.

next in terminal run
sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbrYour MBR will now be fixed so that you boot right to windows. You can either remove Ubuntu's partition(s) from gparted with the Ubuntu Live CD or gparted Live CD. You can also boot to windows and use it's disk management utility to remove the ubuntu partition(s).

Either way that you remove the ubuntu partitions you can then use windows disk management utility to merge the unallocated space with your C: drive or create another NTFS partition(s).

OP you now have a couple different ways to accomplish what you want to do. So now use the information please.