PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 live version works, but installed one doesn't

Sakari
March 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I wanted to install Ubuntu 9.10 on a newly-bought Fujitsu Esprimo P1500 and tried the live version first. First,with no kernel options, it would freeze the machine. Next, I selected option "acpi=off", which got me to Gnome. However, neither the keyboard nor the mouse worked. Then, I selected option "noapic", and this seemed to do the trick, as I got to Gnome; the keyboard and mouse worked; and both processor cores worked (remarkable, because another Linux distribution only used one core.)

So, I did the installation, again starting with option "noapic". Everything seemed to go just fine. However, when I restarted after the installation, the machine froze again. That is, after I select Ubuntu from the GRUB menu, the only sign of life is a blinking cursor at the upper left corner of the screen. This is what happened when I tried to run the live version with no kernel options.

It is as if the installed kernel did not get option "noapic". But how should I tell it to use the option?

sunnyz
March 7th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I wanted to install Ubuntu 9.10 on a newly-bought Fujitsu Esprimo P1500 and tried the live version first. First,with no kernel options, it would freeze the machine. Next, I selected option "acpi=off", which got me to Gnome. However, neither the keyboard nor the mouse worked. Then, I selected option "noapic", and this seemed to do the trick, as I got to Gnome; the keyboard and mouse worked; and both processor cores worked (remarkable, because another Linux distribution only used one core.)

So, I did the installation, again starting with option "noapic". Everything seemed to go just fine. However, when I restarted after the installation, the machine froze again. That is, after I select Ubuntu from the GRUB menu, the only sign of life is a blinking cursor at the upper left corner of the screen. This is what happened when I tried to run the live version with no kernel options.

It is as if the installed kernel did not get option "noapic". But how should I tell it to use the option?

Same Issue with my ubuntu..

Please some one help us..

Sakari
March 7th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Same Issue with my ubuntu..

Please some one help us..

Well, me, I might give up on Ubuntu. I just installed Fedora 12, and everything seems to be OK (the "noapic" option that I specified when installing is clearly read by Fedora later, when the installed version starts.)