PDA

View Full Version : Colon cleansing

blueshiftoverwatch
March 7th, 2010, 05:02 AM
What do you guys think about colon cleansing products?

Is there actually any scientific merit to the idea that the intestines have a ton of stuff built up that if cleared will improve the digestive process, improve energy, and improve in vitamin/mineral absorption? Or is it all pseduo-science?

wojox
March 7th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Definitely. I swear by Raisin Bran and yogurt. Prune's are good to, but be careful. They can be deadly. Eating seven or eight in one sitting will put you in the head for hours. Then you'll need a gallon of water to rehydrate.

hansdown
March 7th, 2010, 05:16 AM
What do you guys think about colon cleansing products?

Is there actually any scientific merit to the idea that the intestines have a ton of stuff built up that if cleared will improve the digestive process, improve energy, and improve in vitamin/mineral absorption? Or is it all pseduo-science?

I tend to concentrate on what's going in, rather than the other.

blueshiftoverwatch
March 7th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Definitely. I swear by Raisin Bran and yogurt. Prune's are good to, but be careful.
I was talking more about the slew of products marketed specifically for colon cleansing. Many of which contain psyllium husk and bentonite clay.

wmcbrine
March 7th, 2010, 05:24 AM
It's a complete and utter scam. Your colon does not need to be cleansed.

wojox
March 7th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I was talking more about the slew of products marketed specifically for colon cleansing. Many of which contain psyllium husk and bentonite clay.

That's what I'm saying though. Just change you diet to more bran. If you want to by a product try Benefiber. Never used it, but heard it was like a colon snake. :D

Arkitekt
March 7th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Just drink a bottle of whiskey and by the next afternoon your colon will be 'cleansed'

hansdown
March 7th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Just drink a bottle of whiskey and by the next afternoon your colon will be 'cleansed'

Can't argue with that... burp!

wmcbrine
March 7th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Here's something I read about "liver flushes" the other day -- not quite the same, but very similar, and he talks a little about colon cleansing:

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2006/07/your_friday_dose_of_woo_would_you_like_a.php

RevKeltina
March 7th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I always thought that was supposed to be an infested part of the anatomy? I mean it's suppose to have all kinds of nasties to aid in digestion, right? I never thought it should be cleaned......hummmm

MooPi
March 7th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I was the recipient of a drink that is unprintable on this form. It consists of 1 part tequila and an equal part Tabasco sauce. The bartender misunderstood the quanties and I ended up with a double shot of heat. You cry when it goes down and you cry when it exits. Let's just say you better be by a toilet all day the next day. PERIOD. Colon cleansed.

Giant Speck
March 7th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Drink eight glasses of water a day and eat a fiber-rich diet consisting of plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

user1397
March 7th, 2010, 06:10 AM
what about an enema?

dyslexia
March 7th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Instant Ulcer, how useful. This is something I worry about when I find myself served food which is too hot. On a couple occasions I had it sent back, and it returned not a lot less spicy. Cross another restaurant off the list.

How about Colon Massage? Did you know that swallowing chewing gum can lead to the stuff gettiing stuck in there, doesn't leave until gentle hands coax it out...

Giant Speck
March 7th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Did you know that swallowing chewing gum can lead to the stuff gettiing stuck in there, doesn't leave until gentle hands coax it out...

Unless you are a chromic gum swallower, chewing gum will pass through the digestive system just as quickly as any other food you eat.

dyslexia
March 7th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Unless you are a chromic gum swallower, chewing gum will pass through the digestive system just as quickly as any other food you eat.

Based on personal experience, and no I am not a "chronic gum swallower". The stuff is nasty, spit it out.

hansdown
March 7th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Instant Ulcer, how useful. This is something I worry about when I find myself served food which is too hot. On a couple occasions I had it sent back, and it returned not a lot less spicy. Cross another restaurant off the list.

How about Colon Massage? Did you know that swallowing chewing gum can lead to the stuff gettiing stuck in there, doesn't leave until gentle hands coax it out...

Solution to food that is too hot:

Let it sit, until it meets your requirements.

If "hot" means spicy, most places have "mild", Medium". and "Hot", If not more.

MooPi
March 7th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Solution to food that is too hot:

Let it sit, until it meets your requirements.
Should I talk to it as well and explain why I have it sitting there not being eaten .:lol:

hansdown
March 7th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Should I talk to it as well and explain why I have it sitting there not being eaten .:lol:

Yes.

Icehuck
March 7th, 2010, 06:41 AM
You can try colonics. I think these were really popular back in the day. If you are female they say that Activia works really well.

I usually go and get a big mission style burrito. My colon gets pretty clear from that.

Giant Speck
March 7th, 2010, 06:47 AM
If you are female they say that Activia works really well.

Activia is a cult.

But in all seriousness, the benefits would be the same for males, too.

hansdown
March 7th, 2010, 06:49 AM
You can try colonics. I think these were really popular back in the day. If you are female they say that Activia works really well.

I usually go and get a big mission style burrito. My colon gets pretty clear from that.

Activa is actually a patented form of "lactose", which some people are allergic to.

BenAshton24
March 7th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Just eat lots of fruit and veg and you'll be fine.

On a side note this is a really strange thread that i'd expect from yahoo answers, but ubuntuforums‽

lisati
March 7th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Just eat lots of fruit and veg and you'll be fine.

On a side note this is a really strange thread that i'd expect from yahoo answers, but ubuntuforums‽

Ditto. And unless there's something wrong with you, in which case medical advice might be a good idea, the healthy diet ideas suggested in a couple of posts in this thread should do the trick.

Giant Speck
March 7th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Activa is actually a patented form of "lactose", which some people are allergic to.

Actually, no. Activia contains a proprietary strain of Bifidobacterium animalis. There's only one form of lactose and it's found in all dairy products.

Icehuck
March 7th, 2010, 07:00 AM

People are also allergic to cats and dogs. I'm not sure why being lactose intolerant is relevant?

Giant Speck
March 7th, 2010, 07:03 AM
People are also allergic to cats and dogs. I'm not sure why being lactose intolerant is relevant?

Also, lactose intolerance isn't an allergy. It's essentially a lactase deficiency.

hansdown
March 7th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Also, lactose intolerance isn't an allergy. It's essentially a lactase deficiency.

Correct.

For Icehuck's perusal,

http://www.medicinenet.com/lactose_intolerance/article.htm

Icehuck
March 7th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Correct.

For Icehuck's perusal,

http://www.medicinenet.com/lactose_intolerance/article.htm

I still don't understand why this is relevant? It doesn't make the suggestion of using Activia any less valid. Should I have only posted a solution that vegans, carnivores, and lactose intolerant people could use? Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 7th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Definitely. I swear by Raisin Bran and yogurt. Prune's are good to, but be careful. They can be deadly. Eating seven or eight in one sitting will put you in the head for hours. Then you'll need a gallon of water to rehydrate.

Or, better, prune juice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgzbKe6_DN4)! :)

hansdown
March 7th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I still don't understand why this is relevant? It doesn't make the suggestion of using Activia any less valid. Should I have only posted a solution that vegans, carnivores, and lactose intolerant people could use? Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

What "seems to you", may not apply to other people.

Kingsley
March 7th, 2010, 07:27 AM
You guys ever heard of a salt water colon cleanse? One of my classmates told me about it. You get like a quart of water and mix in some rock salt. Then you drink all of it and lay on your side or crouch for about 30 minutes. Afterwards, you'll take a monster dump that totally cleanses your digestive tract. I haven't tried this before but I may if I get bored some day.

hansdown
March 7th, 2010, 07:34 AM
You guys ever heard of a salt water colon cleanse? One of my classmates told me about it. You get like a quart of water and mix in some rock salt. Then you drink all of it and lay on your side or crouch for about 30 minutes. Afterwards, you'll take a monster dump that totally cleanses your digestive tract. I haven't tried this before but I may if I get bored some day.

Sounds kind of...nice...

Thanks Kingsley.

Giant Speck
March 7th, 2010, 07:58 AM

This would be an example of a saline laxative. The high salinity of the solution draws water into the intestines in order to induce a bowel movement.

Lavahead
March 7th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Most of the so-called "colon cleansers" use psyllium, a water-soluble bulk-forming laxative, as their active ingredient.

However, I take psyllium in raw husk form daily to lower cholestoral.

chillicampari
March 7th, 2010, 09:32 AM

It's not. I can't do dairy well, and I think most anyone who would be looking at it can probably figure out that it's yogurt, and if they can't eat yogurt they probably don't want this. But the suggestion is totally fine anyway, so I don't know what the issue is at all.

I think prunes are nasty, but I'll eat them if I need to.

Giant Speck
March 7th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I'm weird; I hate plums, but I love prunes.

wojox
March 7th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Funny I never thought we'd get four pages out of Colon cleansing.

hansdown
March 7th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Funny I never thought we'd get four pages out of Colon cleansing.

No guff eh?

cariboo
March 7th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I really think 4 pages is more than enough on this subject, we aren't a medical advice forum, this thread has gone on for long enough. Closed.