PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Running VMs on Ubuntu Server

CharlesA
March 7th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Is it possible to run them without a GUI? I'm guessing it isn't.

Also, what would be the best way to go about it? I know I could VNC into the machine, but would I need to leave the VNC server running so that it doesn't screw up something?

Thanks.

dasunsrule32
March 7th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Use xen, it is all CLI. ;)

nerr
March 7th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I've had a lot of luck using Virtualbox for my VM needs. It also ships with a VRDP server, allowing you to use Remote Desktop (RDP) to access the VMs hosted on a command-line only machine. It works quite well in my experience.

EDIT: I should also note that the package you want is virtualbox-3.1, as it is the one that comes with the VRDP server and VBoxHeadless commands.

CharlesA
March 7th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Oh awesome. Thanks!

koenn
March 7th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Is it possible to run them without a GUI? I'm guessing it isn't.

Also, what would be the best way to go about it? I know I could VNC into the machine, but would I need to leave the VNC server running so that it doesn't screw up something?

Thanks.
Depends what VMs you're talkin about.
VMware server has a large set of commands.
It also has a web interface so you can run it on a sever without X

CharlesA
March 7th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Depends what VMs you're talkin about.
VMware server has a large set of commands.
It also has a web interface so you can run it on a sever without X

Thanks. I was thinking about VirtualBox since I have the most experience with it. VMWare is what we use at work, and a web interface sounds great.

I think I'll give it a shot.

CharlesA
March 8th, 2010, 08:22 AM
I've had a lot of luck using Virtualbox for my VM needs. It also ships with a VRDP server, allowing you to use Remote Desktop (RDP) to access the VMs hosted on a command-line only machine. It works quite well in my experience.

EDIT: I should also note that the package you want is virtualbox-3.1, as it is the one that comes with the VRDP server and VBoxHeadless commands.

Thank you. I installed VBox on my server and it seems to work perfectly.

VBoxHeadless + VRDP is awesome.

dasunsrule32
April 8th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I never liked using VBOX headless, because it pulls in so many packages that don't need to be installed, all the GTK packages, etc.