PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] blank screen after graphic card upgrade

thegitksan
March 7th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Good evening all. My trusty old ATI Radeon 9800 AGP 256 MB graphics card just bit the dust, and so I bought a replacement - an ATI Radeon 3650 AGP 512 Mb card. It is what is available for my:

Dell Dimension 8300
3GHz speed
4Gb RAM
Dual boot: WinXP & Hardy 8.04.3 LTS

I had problems getting the drivers properly installed for WinXP, eventually got it with a Hotfix from ATI/Sapphire. And now when I boot into Ubuntu, after some text messages, the screen goes blank and stays that way. I think very likely the drivers for the new card need to be installed and the old drivers uninstalled, but I don't know for sure.

I can get command line text mode to come onscreen, but nothing GUI. I had no choice in my order - ordinarily, I'd have uninstalled anything to do with the old card before installing the new one. However, the old card is kaput.

Any ideas for an approach for me?
---------------------------------------
Updated information:

I tried putting the LiveCD into the boot drive (8.04.1) to see if it would work, and it seems to work fine. I wonder if simply re-installing over top of the existing OS might work. I don't have anything important on the partition that I can remember. Alternatively, perhaps if I went for an upgraded version, that might also do the trick?

Does anyone know? I am wondering if reinstalling or upgrading might get the OS to recognize the new graphics card. Ideally, it would be done without losing everything I have on the partition right now, but I'd toss it if I had to.

Another thought - is there a utility that can help my OS figure it out on its own?

thegitksan
March 7th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Okay. Friend "Agnes" from another post helped me figure out how to get my screen back again. This is the link to my earlier post where Agnes provided me with the answer that led me to my solution.

In my final message in that thread, I provide a set of steps for what actually worked for me.

Russell

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422101