PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 fail

Sam the Wizer
March 7th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I recently got a new laptop with Windows 7 installed. It's the first time in a few years that I've had a machine that does not have some flavor of Linux as the primary OS. I've been using Windows 7 for a few weeks now, and I'm thoroughly disappointed. It's not a super fast machine, but I would think a 2.2Gb dual core with 3Gbs of memory should be sufficient for my surfing and occasional movie watching. Wrong. Windows often ceases responding for no obvious reason, even if the system has been up and no programs are running. It doesn't hang, it just won't accept any input. Today I've been trying to copy some data from CDs on to my hard drive, and the Window's File Manager refuses to display the contents of the CDs. I've had to use DOS to copy the files. It was similar experiences that drove me away from Windows in the first place. I feel like I've been spoiled for the last few years using Ubuntu. Yeah, it has its quirks, but at least it works.

Kai69
March 7th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Ive seen the same things the kids lappy we brought at xmas had a few glitches when playing movies or flash files.
The missus brought an MSI last week and its been a bit unstable flickering screen on internet pages.
I think most of these problems are because the OS is new and some of the drivers have not been updated for W7 yet
The flickering was a video driver had to go to the manufactures website to sort it..

AllRadioisDead
March 7th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Go complain about Windows somewere else. This is supposed to be a progressive forward moving Linux based community, not a place to bash the competition. I could write pages complaining about any OS but instead I use my time constructively and deal with it, or find an alternative.

akand074
March 7th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Go complain about Windows somewere else. This is supposed to be a progressive forward moving Linux based community, not a place to bash the competition. I could write pages complaining about any OS but instead I use my time constructively and deal with it, or find an alternative.

I agree but no need to be harsh.

Solution to your problem:

Install Ubuntu !

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2010, 03:55 AM
To the Op;

Your laptop has the same specs as the one I bought yesterday. An Asus k50. I already deleted Windows 7 off it and installed Debian.

I hear that Windows 7 works quite well from most though. I never got to try it because I will not install it on any machine I own.

Groucho Marxist
March 7th, 2010, 03:56 AM
I agree but no need to be harsh.

Solution to your problem:

Install Ubuntu !

That, and for the technologically curious, I recommend studying a preferred method of coding to improve upon excellent concepts that have been implemented in a lackluster manner. FOSS FTW :)

MasterNetra
March 7th, 2010, 04:08 AM
To the Op;

Your laptop has the same specs as the one I bought yesterday. An Asus k50. I already deleted Windows 7 off it and installed Debian.

I hear that Windows 7 works quite well from most though. I never got to try it because I will not install it on any machine I own.

Should for some reason you have to send it back or take it in for repair be sure to reinstall it if you can. For if they find any OS other then what it came with you can kiss the warranty they give good bye. And remember to never to tell them your using linux on it either.

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2010, 04:12 AM
That is prudent advice but considering I do not have money to spend on Microsoft, that will not happen.

Presto123
March 7th, 2010, 04:18 AM
It seems strange to me because you're talking good hardware and it's having issues. Mine's an Atom processor netbook with 1g RAM running 7 Basic and no real annoyances yet. Same thing goes for our low-spec TV computer and it's running a step up on OS (I can't remember its name ATM).

I guess we've just been lucky.

CharlesA
March 7th, 2010, 04:37 AM

Thought that's what Ubuntuforums was for. Bashing Windows and praising Linux; I see it all the time. :popcorn:

@OP: Is it one of those laptops that is loaded with crapware from the OEM? That would probably explain some of the problems.

MasterNetra
March 7th, 2010, 04:39 AM
That is prudent advice but considering I do not have money to spend on Microsoft, that will not happen.

Well if Win7 came with your system then you already purchased it. It would just be a matter of using the CD. (Wither its a restore cd or the OS cd)

MasterNetra
March 7th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Thought that's what Ubuntuforums was for. Bashing Windows and praising Linux; I see it all the time. :popcorn:

@OP: Is it one of those laptops that is loaded with crapware from the OEM? That would probably explain some of the problems.
+1 - Can you say uninstall spree? :p

BuffaloX
March 7th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I love Windows bashing, there's been much too little of it lately IMO.

I've had a copy of Win7 lying around for almost 2 months now, but I haven't tried it yet.
Many of my old games didn't work so well on Vista, I bet it's not much better with Win7, so I'm sticking with XP for as long as possible.

To OP: I suppose you mean command prompt and not DOS.

MasterNetra
March 7th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I love Windows bashing, there's been much too little of it lately IMO.

I've had a copy of Win7 lying around for almost 2 months now, but I haven't tried it yet.
Many of my old games didn't work so well on Vista, I bet it's not much better with Win7, so I'm sticking with XP for as long as possible.

To OP: I suppose you mean command prompt and not DOS.

Don't assume, try. Win7 is much better then Vista. And better then XP. For me at least it was. And while Win7 pwns Ubuntu with gaming I still prefer Ubuntu as its superior in..well just about everything else. :p. Though Win7 I will admit is a lot better at detecting devices and providing the appropriate driver for them then its predecessors. And its ability to recover downed drivers is a big plus as well. Though that is inherited from Vista.

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2010, 05:02 AM
edit: I kinda trolled here T_T

CharlesA
March 7th, 2010, 05:05 AM
+1 - Can you say uninstall spree? :p

Indeed. Or just a clean install.. cuz it would be less work. :p

cariboo
March 7th, 2010, 05:15 AM

We are changing the tone and tenor in the forums OS bashing of any sort is no longer acceptable. If you feel the need, I'm sure you can find another place to do it.

Presto123
March 7th, 2010, 05:25 AM
We are changing the tone and tenor in the forums OS bashing of any sort is no longer acceptable. If you feel the need, I'm sure you can find another place to do it.

I kinda believe it was a joke, but I certainly agree with that Cariboo. I also agree with CharlesA on his second suggestion, it could be bloatware causing the problem, but it could ALSO be an overall issue with the specs/new OS/etc.

witeshark17
March 7th, 2010, 05:29 AM
I know a few that have had issues with win7. I don't think anyone is surprised.

CharlesA
March 7th, 2010, 05:31 AM

That's good to know. I am glad to know that I wasn't the only one that was getting tired of the "It's not Linux, so we'll bash it for it's faults."

But yeah, it was a joke. ;)

uRock
March 7th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I have Windows 7 Professional on 2 machines. I only boot it on my machine to run Cisco Packet Tracer to do homework. Other than that, I don't use it. From the use I have had out of it I think they have done a great job with it, for once. XP was great in its day, too.

ubuntu is my #1 OS.

mamamia88
March 7th, 2010, 05:57 AM
you aren't using default install with all crapware are you? my laptop is worse than yours and windows 7 ran great

KiwiNZ
March 7th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Thread closed