PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have/still have a Gateway 500se?

MasterNetra
March 7th, 2010, 12:29 AM
I'm asking because I still have my old 500se and for whatever reason it freezes completely at random times. And does this with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Opensuse, and fedora. And by freeze I mean completely frozen as in no Ctrl+alt+f1 to get to a command line and no ctrl+alt+backspace to get out of it. Only way is to hard reset it. I suspect its just the Kernel but meh. Hoping someone who has a 500se has figured/ found out a fix. :/

mdmarmer
March 8th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Did you try Raising Skinny Elephants ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

I have 450se and sometimes it does freeze hard -- but i think that's related to acx wireless (Netgear wg311v2) card that i have installed. And yes it does depend on the kernel. Remove knetworkmanager -- it's very buggy. Use wicd or the command line for your network. I don't use ubuntu or suse or fedora, only debian. I have the most lockups with bfs kernel like liquorix. But I have lockups with other kernels too. Make sure you don't have conflicting drivers like ndiswrapper and a native driver. I suspect my problems are unique to acx which you probably don't have -- but they could occur with other wireless cards too.