PDA

View Full Version : I'm a PC. And I run Linux

Triggerhapp
March 6th, 2010, 11:58 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=388256753017&ref=mf

For those of us who use Linux and Facebook, why not let people know that there are more options than just Mac and MS.

Join the cause and let your friends know what you believe is better!

Bachstelze
March 7th, 2010, 12:01 AM
No.

Post Monkeh
March 7th, 2010, 12:03 AM
No.

that's not very nice.

i would join, but i don't want all my internet friends on facebook to find out i'm a nerd

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 12:03 AM
No.

Ok.

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 12:04 AM
that's not very nice.

i would join, but i don't want all my internet friends on facebook to find out i'm a nerd

My friends are all well aware ;P

Wiebelhaus
March 7th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Yes.

Simon17
March 7th, 2010, 12:05 AM
No.

Make that a hell no.

Post Monkeh
March 7th, 2010, 12:06 AM
My friends are all well aware ;P
i might join when the member list will allow me to join with anonymity.
i'm like superman and i don't want to reveal my secret identity.

icyzer
March 7th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Yes

ibuclaw
March 7th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I'm a PC, and you're nicked. ;)

(edit): oh hi Wiebelhaus, I have you as a friend on facebook.

Name change
March 7th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Ok.

Yes.

No.
There's a lot of big words in this thread. I don't know what's all this about.

P.S.: There already is a Linux group. And Distro group, and DE group. I'm a part of all of them...

The Toxic Mite
March 7th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I'm a PC, and Ubuntu is my philosophy :P

Madspyman
March 7th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I don't use a PC, I use a Linux Box.

Name change
March 7th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I don't use a PC, I use a Linux Box.
Where did you get one?
What's the difference?
How much does it cost?

Wiebelhaus
March 7th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I'm a PC, and you're nicked. ;)

(edit): oh hi Wiebelhaus, I have you as a friend on facebook.

*Nods*

Arkitekt
March 7th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I joined, but don't understand why people are posting here just to say 'no'? does their post count really need an extra pointless post?

I agree that the word needs to be spread :)

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 12:24 AM
I joined, but don't understand why people are posting here just to say 'no'? does their post count really need an extra pointless post?

Yeah I'm not understanding that either. On the other hand, PC means "Personal Computer" so really, Macs are PC's too.

Did MS really wish to shoot themselves in the foot with their adverts?

Name change
March 7th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Not really. It's a term from 80' when PC was an actuall "PC" from IBM and MS DOS was installed as an OS on it. It stayed as an some kind of synonym for "PCs" with Microsoft OSes installed on it. That's why "PC" is PC, because it came with MS OS (Windows, DOS) and was produced by IBM. While this isn't the case anymore the name stayed. Because most people equated PC with GUI, meaning Windows...
[citation needed]

MasterNetra
March 7th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Joined.

Post Monkeh
March 7th, 2010, 12:32 AM

i was posting to outline my general support for a project that i am unfortunately unable to join for the reasons outlined above.

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 12:36 AM
i was posting to outline my general support for a project that i am unfortunately unable to join for the reasons outlined above.

I understand that much ;P No worries to those who can't ;P

scouser73
March 7th, 2010, 12:36 AM
"I'm a PC" Yeah... and?

swoll1980
March 7th, 2010, 12:54 AM
What if I'm a human, and I run on my legs?

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 12:57 AM
What if I'm a human, and I run on my legs?

Then good for you. It's a reference. Look up some recent ads.

RevKeltina
March 7th, 2010, 01:15 AM
I joined up! And if any of you are on farmville, well...... lol

MooPi
March 7th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Not really. It's a term from 80' when PC was an actuall "PC" from IBM and MS DOS was installed as an OS on it. It stayed as an some kind of synonym for "PCs" with Microsoft OSes installed on it. That's why "PC" is PC, because it came with MS OS (Windows, DOS) and was produced by IBM. While this isn't the case anymore the name stayed. Because most people equated PC with GUI, meaning Windows...
[citation needed]
I thought it meant Personal Computer ?

Kai69
March 7th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Im a PC and I removed windows and installed LINUX :tongue:
NightwishFan
March 7th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Nothing wrong with being proud of free software community. If I used facebook I would join.

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Nothing wrong with being proud of free software community. If I used facebook I would join.

I figured it was time I showed my support :P Dont get on FB too much, mind

dcjose20
March 7th, 2010, 03:16 AM
How funny, what the heck I'll join.

cariboo
March 7th, 2010, 03:27 AM

Post counts don't change in the Cafe, anything you post here doesn't count. The member that posted no is well aware of that, I have to say I agree with him. If people want use something other than windows/mac, they will come. :)

toupeiro
March 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Post counts don't change in the Cafe, anything you post here doesn't count. The member that posted no is well aware of that, I have to say I agree with him. If people want use something other than windows/mac, they will come. :)

I'm pretty sure one of the examples as a way to be involved on the main ubuntu website is to spread awareness? If everyone took the passive position of "they will come", I seriously doubt any really would because whose going to let them know anything about it? People seem to be really jaded and negative about newcomers excited and wanting to spread the word. Keeping that negativity out of the way of new enthusiasm will serve our community better.

The Toxic Mite
March 7th, 2010, 11:20 AM

This++

BenAshton24
March 7th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Join the cause and let your friends know what you believe is better!

My friends will just think that I'm joining a group about cute cartoon penguins.

FiveSidedPoly
March 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I'm a little teapot. And I invented pouring tea.

I joined for the heck of it. :)

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM
My friends will just think that I'm joining a group about cute cartoon penguins.

Well the cute penguins are a nice extra :P

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 12:03 PM

Actually most of the friends I've introduced to Linux were wholly unaware there was anything beside "PC and Mac" so no, we do still have great news to spread, especially to those who mostly use their pc for social networking and blogging.

K.Mandla
March 7th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I thought Microsoft owned Facebook. I must be mistaken. ...

Brv
March 7th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Hell no. Im a Mac ;)

~Brv

ali_bongos_dad
March 7th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I'm a PC and I run GNU/Linux

inobe
March 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM
social networking ?

use the forum, in fact' help some folks here at a useful site :)

the8thstar
March 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I don't want to get on Facebook just to support a cause. My information will not feed a database I can't control.

Endomancer
March 7th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I'm a noob, Linux is my teacher... oh and you guys too

xir_
March 7th, 2010, 02:59 PM

Very cleaver. not quite right, but still.

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I don't want to get on Facebook just to support a cause. My information will not feed a database I can't control.

I'm not asking anyone to sign up to facebook. This is for those of us already with a facebook account who want their friends to know they are Linux users and proud of it

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Didn't realise we were into FUD here on UF too... shame.

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 03:22 PM
social networking ?

use the forum, in fact' help some folks here at a useful site :)

But people who dont use Ubuntu wont come here. What's the point of saying you're a proud linux user and other people should look into it on an ubuntu website?

Grifulkin
March 7th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Can I just ask why everyone thinks linux = ubuntu. If you make a facebook group that say's I'm a pc I use linux, it better have a link to distrowatch, or the linux kernel website, that's the only think that would makes sense not putting a link to ubuntu.com. If I was a ubuntu user I would not want people to know.

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Can I just ask why everyone thinks linux = ubuntu. If you make a facebook group that say's I'm a pc I use linux, it better have a link to distrowatch, or the linux kernel website, that's the only think that would makes sense not putting a link to ubuntu.com. If I was a ubuntu user I would not want people to know.

Err. I have put a tux logo, and no links to ANYWHERE.

I am well aware of the diversity of Linux, and I'm sick of other distro users crying and assuming we mean "Ubuntu" when someone says "linux".

Grifulkin
March 7th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Err. I have put a tux logo, and no links to ANYWHERE.

I am well aware of the diversity of Linux, and I'm sick of other distro users crying and assuming we mean "Ubuntu" when someone says "linux".

Well than I apologize, jumping to conclusions I guess.

MC707
March 7th, 2010, 03:31 PM
i'm pretty sure one of the examples as a way to be involved on the main ubuntu website is to spread awareness? If everyone took the passive position of "they will come", i seriously doubt any really would because whose going to let them know anything about it? People seem to be really jaded and negative about newcomers excited and wanting to spread the word. Keeping that negativity out of the way of new enthusiasm will serve our community better.

exactly. +1

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Well than I apologize, jumping to conclusions I guess.

I had already been very careful to not make it Ubuntu specific, since I'm a bit of a distro-hopper myself.

Swagman
March 7th, 2010, 03:42 PM
itreius
March 7th, 2010, 03:52 PM
No.

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 03:54 PM
No.

Would it hurt you to just not post? It takes alot less effort

kgarbutt
March 7th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I'm in.

fatality_uk
March 7th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I'm a PC and I run GNU/Linux

Do you also drive a Hyster/BMW? BMW, for instance using Hyster forklifts in the process of making the car just as Linus Torvalds use openly available GNU software in the making of Linux

red_Marvin
March 7th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Do you also drive a Hyster/BMW? BMW, for instance using Hyster forklifts in the process of making the car just as Linus Torvalds use openly available GNU software in the making of Linux

Nonono, you're confusing things. You are also using gnu tools when using ubuntu, the easiest example is bash. Even if you can claim that you never touch the terminal personally, there is a lot of dependence on it underneath the hood. Just as there is a lot of dependence on the linux kernel, even if you don't directly interact with it. gcc is not the only program suite that gnu has created. Another example is gnome: GNU Networked Object Model Environment.

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Nonono, you're confusing things. You are also using gnu tools when using ubuntu, the easiest example is bash. Even if you can claim that you never touch the terminal personally, there is a lot of dependence on it underneath the hood. Just as there is a lot of dependence on the linux kernel, even if you don't directly interact with it. gcc is not the only program suite that gnu has created. Another example is gnome: GNU Networked Object Model Environment.

IS There a way to use Linux without GNU?

fatality_uk
March 7th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Nonono, you're confusing things.
So had Linus used a propriety compiler, debugger, network object modeling tool, say from Microsoft, we would be calling this Microsoft/Linux?

Back on topic, there's plenty of creative minds in this and many other LINUX forums. I find it disheartening that every time a new MS advert pops up, people want to "ape" it.

Expect a suggestion for a 10 seconds Firefox advert next!

red_Marvin
March 7th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I think android uses the linux kernel, but not the GNU userspace tools.

So had Linus used a propriety compiler, debugger, network object modeling tool, say from Microsoft, we would be calling this Microsoft/Linux?
Please reread my previous post, it is not called GNU/Linux because of what tools Linus uses during development, it is because a large part of the system you are running right now* are gnu programs.
*Assuming you are running an ubuntu setup or some other (bar perhaps a few) linux distributions.

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I think android uses the linux kernel, but not the GNU userspace tools.

Please reread my previous post, it is not called GNU/Linux because of what tools Linus uses during development, it is because a large part of the system you are running right now* are gnu programs.
*Assuming you are running an ubuntu setup or some other (bar perhaps a few) linux distributions.

So I don't want to say "Gnu/Linux" because then I exclude android?

red_Marvin
March 7th, 2010, 07:32 PM
My answer was just on the question wether or not there are systems running the linux kernel, but without the GNU userspace tools. What to call it depends on context.

Triggerhapp
March 7th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I'm just confused on why people try insist it should as a global entity be called "GNU/Linux" and why "Linux" isn't acceptable

NCLI
March 7th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I'm just confused on why people try insist it should as a global entity be called "GNU/Linux" and why "Linux" isn't acceptable

Politics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy). It's completely ridiculous, just call it whatever you want. If I wanted to honor the developers of all the userspace tools I use, I'd be running GNU-X-KDE-Amarok-Banshee-nouveau-Mozilla-Sun-Adobe-Compiz-Canonical/Linux.

Queue29

Because RMS our savior demands we say "GNU/Linux".

red_Marvin
I believe it is a case of credit where credit is due, and that people cannot agree on the definition of "where" and "due".

I am pretty sure that on a common GNU/Linux system there is enough GNU code to make the abbreviation GNU, instead of Linux equally or more appropirate.
But that is just a guess from me, and while it might be wrong, it should at least put some light on the problem.

inobe
March 8th, 2010, 01:48 AM
But people who dont use Ubuntu wont come here. What's the point of saying you're a proud linux user and other people should look into it on an ubuntu website?

this wouldn't accomplish anything, instead it'll only give you a huge friends list.

it's best to keep it all here, no one will go there for help.

choose a forum here, start a topic, tweak your profile, stick one of those half nude pics in it, get an ubuntu tattoo rite across your bare chest and douse yourself with oil to make your muscles appear bigger :D

koleoptero
March 8th, 2010, 01:55 AM

Not really, but it does hold a very pig piece of their pie.

ciborium
March 8th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Then you had better fix your signature.

red_Marvin: Don't peach linux. Melon it!

tjwoosta
March 8th, 2010, 04:28 AM

Im not sure if its entirely gnu less but theres glendix which uses a plan9 userspace.

http://www.glendix.org/

witeshark17
March 8th, 2010, 04:34 AM
My friends know I run Linux. :popcorn:

Triggerhapp
March 8th, 2010, 12:08 PM
this wouldn't accomplish anything, instead it'll only give you a huge friends list.

it's best to keep it all here, no one will go there for help.

choose a forum here, start a topic, tweak your profile, stick one of those half nude pics in it, get an ubuntu tattoo rite across your bare chest and douse yourself with oil to make your muscles appear bigger :D

Actually No, I don't have a habit of adding friends from a common interest group, i tend to stick to friends who are actually my friends.

Triggerhapp
March 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM
My friends know I run Linux. :popcorn:

So do most of mine, but not all of them.

K.Mandla
March 10th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Didn't realise we were into FUD here on UF too... shame.
It was an honest mistake really. I was admitting my error, not attempting to spread misinformation. Honestly. :oops:

And judging by this, maybe I wasn't too far off the mark.

Not really, but it does hold a very pig piece of their pie.
Regardless, if anyone can set me straight, I would be thankful.

Grenage
March 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM
MS shelled out $240 million in an "arrangement gives Microsoft control over the placement of banner ads on Facebook outside the U.S" a few years ago.

As far as I know, it ends there.

tuddy666
March 10th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I've joined the group, because I'm bored enough to join random interest groups on Facebook. :P

Objekt
March 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM
This discussion reminds me of a joke which can be adapted to so many situations:

Q: At Linux users group meeting, how can you spot the Gentoo user?
A: He'll tell you.