PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Karmic ATI Driver

Penguin Guy
March 6th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Just upgraded to Karmic, after the upgrade has finished it tells me that the driver doesn't work. It won't let me run Compiz or anything graphics-intensive like that.

Two questions:

How do I fix it?
Why did it break in the first place?

Really ****** off with these Linux graphics issues every time I upgrade.
Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Looks like I was running the old kernel.

lidex
March 6th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Not a whole lot to go on there. How about the output of this command:

lspci -nn | grep VGA

Did you try jockey (hardware drivers) and or try to install proprietary one? What version?

Mark Phelps
March 7th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Just upgraded to Karmic, after the upgrade has finished it tells me that the driver doesn't work. It won't let me run Compiz or anything graphics-intensive like that.

Two questions:

How do I fix it?
Why did it break in the first place?

Really ****** off with these Linux graphics issues every time I upgrade.
Thanks for the help.

Every major version upgrade installs a new kernel version, and the restricted drivers are kernel version specific. So, if you're running the restricted drivers, you will have to upgrade them every time you upgrade Ubuntu versions.

markbuntu
March 7th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Umm.. actually your safest bet would be to uninstall any proprietary driver before upgrading.

That said, you need to uninstall the old driver

If you are using a driver that you downloaded from the ati site and installed it using the installer there is a removal script that you can use:

sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh

If you installed the driver using Jockey (hardware manager) then that means the driver is from the Ubuntu repository and has been packaged a little differently so you will need to remove it as follows (you may also need to use this method if you used dpkg to build and install the driver):

sudo apt-get purge xorg-driver-fglrx fglrx-amdcccle fglrx-kernel-source xorg-driver-fglrx-dev

The driver also may replace the following files with proprietary versions so you may need to restore them to their generic state:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install libgl1-mesa-glx xserver-xorg-core

If you use Envy to install the driver, use Envy and chose remove completely.

Reboot into recovery kernel and use the fix-x option or "repair broken packages" to get to the generic VESA driver working. You can verify that the VESA driver is in use by checking in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Then you can use hardware driver to install the driver or get the latest one from ati and install that instead.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Penguin Guy
March 7th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Sorry, looks like I was running the old kernel. Now I've updated grub to run the new one everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks.