PDA

View Full Version : Computing getting cheap

MooPi
March 6th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I just put a computer together with these components and thought I'd share my experience.
This rig is easily overclocked and is unbelievably fast for the small investment. So if your needing a new Linux box and have limited funds, this may be and example of what can be achieved. A quad core with 8 gigs of ram is nice but this baby will get the job done for many years with much less. Just don't try to encode a library of movie with it. You may be busy lifetime.http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16762087

earthpigg
March 6th, 2010, 09:05 PM
yupp, i just put an amd linux box together for about $400. dual core, 2gb ram, 500gb hard drive.

gn2
March 6th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Save yourself the bother of building it and just buy this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228

Long term it will save on electricity bills and it'll be quieter as well.

Warpnow
March 6th, 2010, 09:41 PM
You've got $83 into the motherboard and cpu. I'd argue you can get much better for that price. Right now Fry's is running an ad for a Core 2 Duo e7500 with gigabyte motherboard for $99. For the same price is a combo with a Phenom X2 555 Black.

Every couple weeks they have X2 and Motherboard combos for $49 to $59.

Psumi
March 6th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I can't make my own computers, I'll stick with the more expensive stuff at retail stores, thank you.

Plus, I hate buying online.

MooPi
March 7th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Save yourself the bother of building it and just buy this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228

Long term it will save on electricity bills and it'll be quieter as well.
That is a whimpish Atom processor that can't hold a candle to a CPU that can be overclocked well over 3GHz.

You've got $83 into the motherboard and cpu. I'd argue you can get much better for that price. Right now Fry's is running an ad for a Core 2 Duo e7500 with gigabyte motherboard for $99. For the same price is a combo with a Phenom X2 555 Black.

Every couple weeks they have X2 and Motherboard combos for $49 to $59.Thanks Warpnow, I can always use the option. But am a confirmed AMD fan.

MooPi
March 7th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I can't make my own computers, I'll stick with the more expensive stuff at retail stores, thank you.

Plus, I hate buying online.
I know your not timid because you have conquered Linux. It's time to test your mind and spirit by building your next Linux computing device ;) Besides I will help with any advice and help. I have built numerous computers and will happily assist.

gn2
March 7th, 2010, 01:02 AM
That is a whimpish Atom processor that can't hold a candle to a CPU that can be overclocked well over 3GHz.

True, but nevertheless there are advantages.

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2010, 01:15 AM
I just bought my first laptop. It is a Asus k50 with 3gb of ram. It cost me around $500. Deleted 7, It is happily running Debian Unstable with Gnome. Everything works out of the box, everything.

Zoot7
March 7th, 2010, 01:24 AM
€600 is the figure it cost me to put together a very competent gaming system last summer - (AMD Phenom II 955, 790FX Based Motherboard, HD4870), minus the graphics card mind you.

JDShu
March 7th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Since putting together a computer when I was in high school, and getting something really unstable, I've decided that its easier and less of a headache to pay for the service of building a computer. But yeah, if you're willing and skilled enough to build a computer its a good deal.

lisati
March 7th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I recently had a look round some of the web sites for some of my local stores (I might be in the market for a new machine later in the year). It almost makes me want to cry at times with some new machines with reasonable specs costing less than what I paid second-hand for my old desktop.

bpalone
March 7th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Just to add on here. I just purchased a new to me laptop for about $290 to the door. The one I have is still working fine, but the day will come. I bought because I could avoid 7 by going this route. All my laptops except the one I am currently using have been used, so I figured I had just as well save a few bucks and get the added bonus of no 7.

Don't over look the used market when thinking of a newer computer. Some very good deals can be had. I think many around here have gotten some for free.