PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen flickering like mad.

Mattchu
March 6th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Hello everyone, first time user of Ubuntu here so you could say i`m a proper noob. Anyway i`ve installed a copy of 9.10 on an old computer of mine and am having some problems with the picture.
Basically the screen is flickering really badly, whenever i move the mouse or type anything when in screen resolution 1280x1024. I can move the resolution down a bit and it is allright but then i`m losing a load of the screen (1280x1024 fits perfect)

I think it is probably due to it having an old graphics card and needing a driver but i really haven`t a clue where to start.
Any helpers please?

Cheers,
Mattchu

Frogs Hair
March 6th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Hi,
Go into administration and select hardware and drivers. Ubuntu will search for drivers,
select the recommended driver and click activate . This may help.

Mattchu
March 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM
When trying that i get the message "No proprietary drivers in use on this system"

I have installed System tools/Device Manager and it looks like the graphics card is a Virge DX /GX. Not sure how to install the driver (i think i may have found it)

When i first installed the screen was unreadable but when i changed the frequency to 60Hz helped.

If i try a plug the monitor (Iiyama) into the on-board socket there is no output.

Also when i try to minimize things they seem to just disappear.

Sorry for being such a dumb ***!

Cheers

p.s. When i first boot the frequency is at 75Hz and i have to manually change it.

Frogs Hair
March 6th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Nice Toad !

The last drivers issued for Virge DX and BX graphics cards was in the windows 98 days.
I don't what version of linux was being used at that time as I'm new to Ubuntu.

Good Luck!