PDA

View Full Version : putty but better

BackwardsDown
March 6th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I'm searching for a program like putty, like being able to save hosts and stuff but better. For example a more user friendly interface and being able to copy paste to the terminal (its really annoying atm).

If there is not anything like this I want to start my own project and write something better in python.

kevin11951
March 6th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Am I the only one who read that title and thought "Peanut Butter"? ;)

koenn
March 6th, 2010, 07:12 PM
you can copy/paste from and to putty. afaik.

if you prefer somthing else, there's secureCRT
http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/index.html

wikipedia also has a list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_emulator

Warpnow
March 6th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Gnome's server connection manager is similar. Just open a terminal once you are connected.

Mike'sHardLinux
March 6th, 2010, 08:20 PM
As koenn said, you CAN copy and paste in PuTTY.

To copy, you simply highlight the text with your mouse...iow, click and drag. This is quicker than having to highlight and then hit a key combination. To paste, you simply right-click with your mouse.

I am not sure what all features you need, but check out PuTTY Connection Manager. It adds a lot more functionality to PuTTY and is still free, unlike SecureCRT.

RevKeltina
March 6th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Am I the only one who read that title and thought "Peanut Butter"? ;)

I was actually thinking of a green putty my hubby uses when building his model cars! LOL

earthpigg
March 6th, 2010, 08:53 PM
i want something similar to puTTY but able to mount remote filesystems locally... a-la sshfs.

:D

koenn
March 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
i want something similar to puTTY but able to mount remote filesystems locally... a-la sshfs.

a lightweight linux desktop system, maybe ?

toupeiro
March 6th, 2010, 10:10 PM

That's not putty but better, thats putty but bloated. :) hehe