PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 new installation locks up and completely freezes

fireman71
March 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I just managed to get 9.10 desktop installed and get it booted in (had a problem with grub 17 error that was fixed thanks to help from this forum so I have returned :).

Now when it boots up it logs in automatically (which is what I set it to do) and the desktop manager loads and then everything freezes. Mouse wont work, keyboard wont work, Alt-Ctrl-Bkspace wont restart Xserver, Atl-Ctrl-Delete wont reset the computer. I have to press the reset button to recover the system. I can't get to any of the logs to see what might be going on or anything.

Anyone have any ideas? This system came installed with ubuntu 7.?? and ran fine for a long time. I just formatted and installed 9.10 and have had nothing but problems, but it shouldn't be hardware related since this computer ran 7.10 fine for so long as far as I can tell.

I'm at a loss and appreciate any help anyone can offer.

I have the same problem when I boot and run the live cd. X starts up and then it locks up completely.

Thanks!