PDA

View Full Version : starcraft 2

sandyd
March 6th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Has anyone tried starcraft 2 beta in WINE yet?
it works great :) and pretty too.
for some reason, it doesnt work on the newest wine from the ppa, so I had to compile from git though...

however, I wish there was more changes.... it only seems a bit different to me :(

Bachstelze
March 6th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Eh, so Stacraft 2 will not get the same fate as Duke Nukem Forever, in the end...

sandyd
March 6th, 2010, 01:16 AM
and just as I was typing this, zerg forces swooped down and destroyed my base... :(

samjh
March 6th, 2010, 03:03 AM
So it sounds like the zergling rush build is still a viable strategy in SCII. ;)

nerdopolis
March 6th, 2010, 03:35 AM
wait... am I reading your first post correctly, or am I dreaming?

You have the Starcraft 2 beta... ...Working in WINE?

WINE's really gotten far!

With Starcraft 2 being one of the most anticipated games, imagine what that could do for the public's view of the Linux desktop!

JDShu
March 6th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Eh, so Stacraft 2 will not get the same fate as Duke Nukem Forever, in the end...

Not even close :P

I'm too annoyed at lack of LAN support and refuse to buy the game when it comes out.

sandyd
March 6th, 2010, 03:41 PM

With Starcraft 2 being one of the most anticipated games, imagine what that could do for the public's view of the Linux desktop!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjhQTio1zKM

however, I would like it, and I would be more likely to buy it if they either

1: Contributed money to wine to help them with development and to make their game more compatable (just like google did w/ picassa)
2: Native Linux Port

MooPi
March 6th, 2010, 06:06 PM
You are such a StarCraft junkie:D

mickie.kext
March 6th, 2010, 06:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjhQTio1zKM

Why is that tearing when you move camera in video? I hope it is just because of video capturing program? :???:

sandyd
March 6th, 2010, 06:13 PM
You are such a StarCraft junkie:D
i know eh? ;)

sandyd
March 6th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Why is that tearing when you move camera in video? I hope it is just because of video capturing program? :???:
lets just say that you need a really good graphics card to run it on WINE. I had the mobility 4xxx series on my non-work laptop, and it had the same problem.

Tried it with Geforce GT 240 in Sli (2 cards) and the tearing dissapeared....

but then again, who would want to buy cards in SLI just to play this in linux....

Eli_King
March 6th, 2010, 06:26 PM
i have tried SC2 though A Crack and SC2 is a nice game)

beastrace91
March 6th, 2010, 08:32 PM
lets just say that you need a really good graphics card to run it on WINE. I had the mobility 4xxx series on my non-work laptop, and it had the same problem.

Tried it with Geforce GT 240 in Sli (2 cards) and the tearing dissapeared....

but then again, who would want to buy cards in SLI just to play this in linux....

Mind sharing your full system specs and about what FPS star craft runs at for you under Wine? Also what Wine version are you using, said you compiled from GIT did you apply any special patches to get it running? It over joys me to no end to hear this game works under Wine! I hate having to reboot to play games!

I'm sporting an nVidia 260m with an Intel 2.8ghz dual core... So hoping that should plug along just fine with SC2 under Wine :D

~Jeff

sandyd
March 6th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Mind sharing your full system specs and about what FPS star craft runs at for you under Wine? Also what Wine version are you using, said you compiled from GIT did you apply any special patches to get it running? It over joys me to no end to hear this game works under Wine! I hate having to reboot to play games!

I'm sporting an nVidia 260m with an Intel 2.8ghz dual core... So hoping that should plug along just fine with SC2 under Wine :D

~Jeff
mines a custom designed desktop for gaming....
Quad Core (Xenon) + the 240 cards, 8 GB low latency ram (forgot manufactuer), 1TB seagate HD. liquid cooled.
Im considering building an mineral oil submerged computer one day :D

beastrace91
March 7th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Any idea on your FPS compared to Windows? Also what Wine version?

~Jeff

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I had waited years for Starcraft2. It came too late for me as I now boycott Blizzard games. PERHAPS if they give native linux support I would rethink my feelings about them.

JDShu
March 7th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I had waited years for Starcraft2. It came too late for me as I now boycott Blizzard games. PERHAPS if they give native linux support I would rethink my feelings about them.

Exactly what happened for me.

sandyd
March 7th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Any idea on your FPS compared to Windows? Also what Wine version?

~Jeff
using the latest wine from the ppa gives me a blank screen.
So, I downloaded it from git and compiled it (dont know what version I downloaded fro git, but it was yesterday's commit)

The FPS is on the low side. I would advise for people who want to play this to wait for the final release of starcraft so that the wine devs can get everything patched up.

jdash1
March 10th, 2010, 01:58 AM
i'm excited for this to happen

spupy
March 10th, 2010, 04:19 AM

NOOOOOOOOO!! I was just thinking today how I'm NOT gonna put Windows on my next PC, so I won't be tempted by games and concentrate on my studies. I mean, SC2, Diablo 3...
But nooooo, it works in Wine. Just great!:-x
At least yesterday, after watching some sweet SC2 videos, I resisted the temptation to install Starcraft and/or Diablo 2.

sandyd
March 10th, 2010, 05:05 AM
NOOOOOOOOO!! I was just thinking today how I'm NOT gonna put Windows on my next PC, so I won't be tempted by games and concentrate on my studies. I mean, SC2, Diablo 3...
But nooooo, it works in Wine. Just great!:-x
At least yesterday, after watching some sweet SC2 videos, I resisted the temptation to install Starcraft and/or Diablo 2.

dont worry, the fps/quality is terrible right now and a hell lotta things dont work.
however, it may distract you from your studies when the wine appdb rating improves from bronze -> gold ;)

and why are there ALWAYS problems with running direct x games in wine?

always. always. always.

I just submitted a patch that fixed one of the directx problems on starcraft2 though...

now im gonna have to see if I can create a patch to fix battle.net issues. ](*,)](*,)](*,)

That will likely be the nightmare of my week as starcraft requires you to login to battle.net before playing anything. probably to stop piracy.

JDShu
March 10th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I just submitted a patch that fixed one of the directx problems on starcraft2 though...

now im gonna have to see if I can create a patch to fix battle.net issues. ](*,)](*,)](*,)

That will likely be the nightmare of my week as starcraft requires you to login to battle.net before playing anything. probably to stop piracy.[/rant]

You are a wonderful person.

Khakilang
March 10th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I may not play Starcraft but I play Warcraft. I believe it come from the same company. Wondering it can play in Wine?

NCLI
March 10th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I may not play Starcraft but I play Warcraft. I believe it come from the same company. Wondering it can play in Wine?

http://appdb.winehq.org/ :D

sandyd
March 21st, 2010, 05:39 PM
Starcraft 2 now playing :) ;)
see
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1435314

_h_
March 21st, 2010, 05:43 PM
Blizzard Entertainment has pretty much every single game able to work on Wine, with either a Platinum or Gold rating.

And yes, Starcraft II is just sexy! :oops: