PDA

View Full Version : Which side are the window icons on?

Madspyman
March 6th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Seems that no one can decide whether the window buttons should be on the right or the left in Lucid, why not let the user decide.

I know it's already possible to move them by changing the metacity settings in gconf-editor, but thats not something a new to Ubuntu user would be thinking of.

How about being able to back click on the window and choose from a drop-down menu what side to have the icons on.

Also during installation you could have the option of "legacy settings" (right placement) or "light settings" (left placement).

I don't think there's another distro that offers this as a standard option, other than in gconf-editor. Might be kinda cool.

Madspyman
March 6th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Sorry I suppose this wasn't aptly titled. Perhaps it's in the wrong place?

Post Monkeh
March 6th, 2010, 12:46 AM
i'd say it's just that the issue has been debated to death over the past couple of days

Austin25
March 6th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Left side is the way it comes in Windows and in Karmic, so if you are looking for it to look natural, Left side would be the way to go. IMHO though, it does not really matter what side it is on. If you want Lucid to look different, then put it on the right.

Madspyman
March 6th, 2010, 12:51 AM
If you want Lucid to look different, then put it on the right.

That's kinda what I was suggesting.

I don't feel, I'm getting any clear answers, especially when during testing as they keep changing from one side to the other.

Figured I'd offer up a solution that might benefit both sides of this argument.

samh785
March 6th, 2010, 01:39 AM
right side is the way it comes in windows and in karmic, so if you are looking for it to look natural, right side would be the way to go. Imho though, it does not really matter what side it is on. If you want lucid to look different, then put it on the left.
ftfy

Jesus_Valdez
March 6th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Is really easy change the position of the buttons on the window layout using gconf-editor on /apps/metacity/general/button_layout

tjwoosta
March 6th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Is really easy change the position of the buttons on the window layout using gconf-editor on /apps/metacity/general/button_layout

I know it's already possible to move them by changing the metacity settings in gconf-editor, but thats not something a new to Ubuntu user would be thinking of.

Jags_FL
March 6th, 2010, 05:16 AM

thanks a million...

if anyone else is looking for the same in nightly Lucid builds, by changing from "maximize,minimize,close:" to

menu:minimize,maximize,close

window button layout will be the way it was before.

Madspyman
March 6th, 2010, 07:42 AM

I believe I mentioned that in the first post, I suppose I should have named the thread something different, I was expressing an idea to help new users change things w/o having to google the answer.