PDA

View Full Version : Re: Mono

Ozitraveller
February 6th, 2005, 12:32 AM
I'm just wondering whether anyone is using Mono/MonoDevelop?

El Guapo
February 8th, 2005, 05:02 PM
I am starting to dabble in Mono using Mono Develop. So far I like what I see. Kudos to the Mono people =D>

rufius
February 8th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I've used Mono for some C# programming for fun, but I'm generally a python/glade/wxPython kinda guy. It does the job and its definitely been developed well, definitely kudos to the developers.

Viro
February 14th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Mono's documentation could use a lot more polish. A lot of the entries seem to be empty or have very very little information.

El Guapo
February 14th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Mono's documentation could use a lot more polish. A lot of the entries seem to be empty or have very very little information.

True, the online documentation is a little lacking. I bought a book "Mono a Developer's Notebook" and that has helped so far...

az
February 15th, 2005, 03:00 AM
Ha! Miguel De Icasa was bragging about how well documented C# is, in comparison to python. Is the C# documentaion perfectly relevant to Mono?
This is from the most recent Lugradio episode.

There is no Dive into Mono, is there?
(Okay, how about "catch Mono?")

rufius
February 15th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Ha! Miguel De Icasa was bragging about how well documented C# is, in comparison to python. Is the C# documentaion perfectly relevant to Mono?
This is from the most recent Lugradio episode.

There is no Dive into Mono, is there?
(Okay, how about "catch Mono?")
C# is a decent language in its own right, it does in fact take the best of java & c++ and combine them for those OOP programmers out there, myself included since i came around after the days of structured programming but I wouldn't call it any better than python. Python I believe has a broader user base and is easier to pick up than C# is, but I'm partial to neither. But I don't think Miguel De Icasa has his facts right and probably should rethink his own statements before making such bold ones.

El Guapo
February 15th, 2005, 09:15 PM
I would have to agree with Miguel about C# documentation for the language itself. It is well documented in other places besides the Mono website. I know it is a bad word around here, but M$ has put a lot of time into documenting the C# language and the whole .net platform. These are all freely available from the MSN website.

The documentation for the Mono project is another story though.