PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] minimal install can't find net hardware

elvehjem
March 5th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Hi,

I'd like to know where I could find a "full" install iso of Karmic K. that will allow me to remove packages prior to install...

Or a minimal install that would recognize my wired/wireless on a eee 700...

Because: The full install finds the network, but won't fit on the 2gb drive.
The minimal doesn't know my hardware.

Debian had an ISO that would boot on a machine, and let you select packages, just like in the bad old days... except they'd be downloaded during the install.

Or, is there a good way to get the minimal install to find my net gear?

'Preciate any comments on this one!

Ken

Licurgo
March 6th, 2010, 12:45 AM
elvehjem:
You can get a pendrive of at least 4 GB install ubuntu in ti and install it in your machine.
Bye
:KS

elvehjem
March 6th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Well, yes...

I know it would be cheaper. Might even be as fast; I don't know.

But the point is that I have a 2G internal drive, and I'd sure like to use it; I'd just like to "thin out" the Ubuntu system a little B4 I install it.

I read about changing a system, but that seems like a great deal of effort for something that should be very simple?

Ken

elvehjem
March 10th, 2010, 02:03 PM
OK, so I found the way to get the net hardware working on the minimal install. Then, I went to install the desktop, from the command line, and was told that it would take 2.1 Gbytes of extra space my li'l nb doesn't have... disappointed, I let it run, and sho 'nuff, it ran out of space.

Sigh....

So, is there a smaller desktop? or a smaller implementation of gdesktop? that runs under Ubuntu?

Ken