PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Botched upgrade to 2.6.31-20 kernel. Any ideas on a cause/fix?

immerohnegott
March 5th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Ran a standard dist-upgrade a couple days ago, and apt attempted to install a new kernel (2.6.31-20-generic). The installation failed at dpkg/configure:

dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.31-20-generic (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

apparently when attempting to run the GRUB2 config script.

Said script spits an error like "no path or device specified", followed by the whole update process dying without dignity - basically spitting out a bunch of dependency errors because the linux-image .deb couldn't be configured completely.

So, thoughts? I've attempted to purge/reinstall the packages to no avail. Ran dpkg --configure -a. Nothing. As these are kernel/bootloader packs, I'm pretty hesitant to start just going to town on the files until something works (or, with my luck, causes my machine to implode).

For what it's worth, I can still boot just fine into 2.6.31-19 to fix this mess.

Barriehie
March 5th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Ran a standard dist-upgrade a couple days ago, and apt attempted to install a new kernel (2.6.31-20-generic). The installation failed at dpkg/configure:

dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.31-20-generic (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

apparently when attempting to run the GRUB2 config script.

Said script spits an error like "no path or device specified", followed by the whole update process dying without dignity - basically spitting out a bunch of dependency errors because the linux-image .deb couldn't be configured completely.

So, thoughts? I've attempted to purge/reinstall the packages to no avail. Ran dpkg --configure -a. Nothing. As these are kernel/bootloader packs, I'm pretty hesitant to start just going to town on the files until something works (or, with my luck, causes my machine to implode).

For what it's worth, I can still boot just fine into 2.6.31-19 to fix this mess.

You can manually remove the botched kernel by rm'ing the linux-image-2.6.31-20-generic files in /var/lib/dpkg/info/ and you'll have to edit your grub menu file. I'm not familiar with grub2 so I can't help you there. After rm'ing, or renaming, the kernel files then run apt-get update to resynchronize everything. Have to run as root.

HTH,
Barrie

immerohnegott
March 8th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I wasn't aware of that folder in /var/. Deleted, ran apt-get update, and the kernel errors were fixed. There was still an error in GRUB, though, as update-grub was still giving me crap. Out of whimsy, I decided to change GRUB's background image - evidently changing a config file around fixed it right up, as update-grub ran flawlessly after that.

Barriehie
March 8th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I wasn't aware of that folder in /var/. Deleted, ran apt-get update, and the kernel errors were fixed. There was still an error in GRUB, though, as update-grub was still giving me crap. Out of whimsy, I decided to change GRUB's background image - evidently changing a config file around fixed it right up, as update-grub ran flawlessly after that.

Good deal then! So this thread is solved?