PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Another Post About 9.10 Upgrade Problems

GenePayne
March 5th, 2010, 08:19 PM
This is not intended to be a rant, but rather to be another data point for anyone considering upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala).

I've been running 9.10 for about 3 months now. My upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 was buggy, but a format & fresh install of 9.10 didn't fix the problems.
Fortunately, I upgraded only at home. At work I'm still running 9.04 (Jaunty). I couldn't have afforded the delays and productivity hit of 9.10 issues at work. I am very pleased with 9.04; it has been rock-solid.
There are some things I like better about 9.10, but compared to 9.04, far more problems than benefits. I'm not looking forward to spending the time to switch back to 9.04 at home.

A list of (most of) the problems I've had:

Firefox has noticeable delays in loading pages, flash video has random pauses. I get similar delays in other apps too, but mostly Firefox
Virtualbox "freezes" my windows XP guest when doing anything processor-intensive. Screen goes gray, and keyboard/mouse inputs are ignored.
Compiz effects are slower. Where are the compiz controls?
Can't get sound to work properly. I fixed sound problems in 9.04 but have been unsuccessful in 9.10.
gscan2pdf breaks when trying to save a scanned document.
some programs like eclipse can't access internet sites when they try to connect directly (e.g. trying to download packages for eclipse).

I've spent some time trying to find fixes for these, but haven't had much luck. If anyone has fixes for these, I'd welcome suggestions.