PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 slowed to a crawl

ThePiper
March 5th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I am relatively new to Ubuntu.
I started the upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 last night. By this morning it had downloaded all the files and was configuring things. I answered the question about retaining my smb.conf file. The Updater told me that there were approximately 4 minutes remaining to completion. I then went off to do things and came back an hour later. The updater told me it was updating smb.conf and would be finished in 4 minutes.

I wanted to lock the screen and the lock screen, log off, switch user form took a few minutes to open.

I left it to go to work, came back this evening 10 hours later and it had progressed to the point where it is now installing a new smsd.conf file. It still tells me that it will take about 4 minutes.
I do not want to kill the process, but I would like the process to come to an end soon.
Please help. Thanx in advance.

R

jerrrys
March 6th, 2010, 03:08 AM
upgrade to 8.10? thats a downgrade in my book. get yourself a copy of 9.10...

ThePiper
March 6th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I think you may be right, but a new install means all the configuration work I have done is gone. All the added apps - gone. But now, after 36 hours and I am still sitting with the problem, I am beginning to think along those lines. :)

Sef
March 6th, 2010, 04:36 AM
If you prefer an LTS, you could either install 9.10 and upgrade to 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), which will be the next LTS after Hardy, or if you want to run the alpha version of Lucid. It is not for production machines, but it is very stable so far.

ThePiper
March 6th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Thanx for the suggestion.

I may have to do just that but I am reluctant to reinstall because then I have to reinstall all the apps from scratch and configure the samba servers, etc. etc. It is summer here and beautiful. I would much rather be out and about than reinstalling Ubuntu. This all started cos I could not get my Nvidia graphic card to work properly. :-(

R

ssulaco
March 6th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Your running Hardy now(8.04),you can do an LTS to LTS upgrade when Lucid becomes final in April,To me, Hardy is rock solid.Im looking forward to Lucid....hoping its as stable as Hardy.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

ThePiper
March 6th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Resolved. I dunno how to set the thread status to resolved :-(
I am obviously so used to using Microsoft installers that when something goes wrong, I expect the whole process to go crash and burn. With Ubuntu it doesn't!

Reluctantly I backed up my data and prepared for the worst crash possible. I pressed Ctrl-C in the updater terminal and it told me that the installation would be broken.
I clicked OK and then to my joy, it just ran all the other scripts. It did warn me at the end that things had not run smoothly, but when I rebooted, 8.10 came up with no problems.
:-) :-)
Thanx to all who took an interest in my problems.
Richard

ssulaco
March 6th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Go to top of post,click thread tools...........glad its ok.

ThePiper
March 6th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Thanx! Gottit.