PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Boot Problems

djailer
March 5th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I originally posted this in hardware - I thought that might have been the problem. Since then I am wondering if I just don't know what I am doing:rolleyes:

I am waaaay noob so please have patience. Just started on Ubuntu a week ago. I have searched some and cannot find anything on point. I have a W2K Pro SP4 install on the slave D: drive. It is partitioned into to parts. C used to have my primary W2k but I changed out MB and lost it. Both are IDE. Anyway, I got a 320GB SATA HD and stuck it in there. I figured this would be a good place to get my feet wet with Ubuntu. Installed 9.10 easily enough. It did give me some weird memory error over and over - I think it had four sets of 4-5 chars, i.e. 7E777-F8773-FFE45-45343 (not the actual error - just my representation of what I think I remember.) It installed fine and dual boots just great. So...to the point.
Ubuntu can see the C: drive but doesn't see anything on the D: drive.The Palimpsest Disk utility tells me it is 41 GB not recognized - unknown or unused. That is the D drive where the above referenced working and stable W2K is installed. It thinks it is not partitioned and is labeled as /dev/sdc. fdisk -l tells me:

Disk /dev/sdc: 41.2 GB, 41174138880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5005 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x7aac7aac

This doesn't look like a partition table
Probably you selected the wrong device.

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 1 2502 20097283+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdc2 ? 2503 5005 20105347+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

:popcorn:

Self help update...I don't know if this is good or bad. Suddenly I can't boot to Ubuntu at all. Last thing I did was agree to the Auto Updater which installed a bunch of stuff.

I found what purports to be the command line boot process. If I am doing things right I seem to be missing a file....initrd.img. When I look in the initrd file I think there were four files there, but not initrd.img.
I assume I have wubi installed since ls shows one of the drives as LOOP0, which seems unique to the wubi steps. Here is what I followed:

ls
this showed me all the drives it saw. (LOOP0)(hd1)(hd1,1)((hd2)(hd2,1)(fd1) - I think those were it

set root=(hdX,Y)
I tried hd1, hd2,1, hd2,hd2,1,LOOP0 for the drives but got the same result

linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdxY loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro
Again I tried all the combinations for the drive. sr1, sdc1, sda1, sdb1

initrd /initrd.img
boot
This resulted in a lot of lines of code but ended up with a kernel panic message and telling me it couldn't find anything to boot. The drives it saw are listed in the previous code explanation.

Any ideas?

Doug

oldfred
March 5th, 2010, 05:42 PM
A lot of wubi problem solutions are listed here:
Fix for grub2 problem with wubi
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:Wubi_9.10

djailer
March 6th, 2010, 04:17 AM
That was it. Replaced the file and I am back running Ubuntu again.
Thanks!!!!

Doug