PDA

View Full Version : Show some gratitude.

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I see way to many people on these forums talking about how Ubuntu doesn't do anything for them. If you think the devs at Ubuntu don't spend the whole year coding their butts off, you're seriously misinformed. Ever notice the gigantic difference in usability from the first alpha image to the final release. How do you think they do that? Pixie dust? Some people on the "Ubuntu" forums have such a grudge against Ubuntu. Makes you wonder how they can sit on a forum payed for by Canonical, and use the same forum to talk about how Canonical doesn't do anything for them. Sounds like a little kid talking about their parents. You enjoy everything they provide then wine about how they don't do anything for you.

If Ubuntu did nothing else for Linux (which isn't true) they brought Linux to the masses, which is something no one else was able to do. If you think it was easy, try getting 20 people to try Linux. Ubuntu got millions of people to try it. Alot of them stuck, around.

Then I see alot of people using this as a recruitment center. It's like those idiots that hang around Windows forums trying to recruit Microsoft users, except they try to get them to switch to their distro of choice. Why do you care if someone uses your distro of choice? As long as people are using Linux you will reap the benefits. It's annoying.

Then you see these people devoting their whole lives to anti Microsoft bashing campaigns. They talk about how childish, and infective it is. Then you see them 2 posts later doing the same thing to Ubuntu they were just calling childish.

A couple years ago it wasn't like this. I don't know what changed in the last two years, but it makes this place a lot less pleasant to be around.

END $.02

bruno9779
March 5th, 2010, 03:10 PM
As Ubuntu grows in user base and makes concrete choices on it's default look, more and more bashers are gonna be around.

Ubuntu is a great distro, I have been around since 6.10/7.04 and it has been my main OS since then.

Undoubtedly I will try some other distro, and I may stick with them or not, it doesn't matter as long as it is Linux

Post Monkeh
March 5th, 2010, 03:12 PM
thanks for that post :bighug:

Techsnap
March 5th, 2010, 03:20 PM
If you think the devs at Debian don't spend the whole year coding their butts off, you're seriously misinformed.

Fixed that for you.

ikt
March 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Fixed that for you.

If Debian did all the work we'd all be using Debian.. but they don't.. so we don't..

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Fixed that for you.

No one ever said they didn't. Ubuntu does all the work that makes Ubuntu Ubuntu.

Post Monkeh
March 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM
if debian did all the work we'd all be using debian.. But they don't.. So we don't..

Tibuda
March 5th, 2010, 03:32 PM
No one ever said they didn't. Ubuntu does all the work that makes Ubuntu Ubuntu.

This is incorrect. A lot of work comes from Debian. Canonical does part of the work, but so does Debian.

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 03:36 PM
This is incorrect. A lot of work comes from Debian. Canonical does part of the work, but so does Debian.

I understand that. Ubuntu takes Debian, and turns it into Ubuntu. Debian does alot of work to push out a quality product. They deserve much credit, but Debian is not Ubuntu, and alot of work goes into making Ubuntu Ubuntu. This is what I was talking about.

Uncle Spellbinder
March 5th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I understand that. Ubuntu takes Debian, and turns it into Ubuntu. Debian does alot of work to push out a quality product. They deserve much credit, but Debian is not Ubuntu, and alot of work goes into making Ubuntu Ubuntu. This is what I was talking about.

Perfectly said.

Does Debian deserve a thank you for "giving birth" to Ubuntu? Of course. Without Debian, Ubuntu, in all likelihood, would never have been. Is Debian a fine distro in itself? Without a doubt, yes.

I'm really tired of Debian fans pretending that Ubuntu is nothing more than a sub-par Debian derivative. Ubuntu has it's own identity with it's own repositories, it's own userbase, it's own devs. Ubuntu has grown into a distro of it's own. Hence the Ubuntu based distros showing up like weeds in the grass.

Long live Ubuntu.

madnessjack
March 5th, 2010, 04:12 PM
People just like moaning- they wouldn't use Ubuntu if they didn't love it.

But yeah I see what you mean about gratitude. I do feel bad it sometimes :)

detroit/zero
March 5th, 2010, 06:31 PM
If Debian did all the work we'd all be using Debian.. but they don't.. so we don't..

I'm going to go out and buy a new Honda. I'm going to put some rims on it, tint the windows, add some zebra-skin seat covers, and hang some fuzzy pink dice from the rear-view mirror. Then, by your logic, I no longer own or drive a Honda, I'm driving a Detroit/Zero, a creation not from the Honda engineering and design labs in Japan, but my own, original brainchild conceived and built in good ol' Detroit, MI.

The moral of the story: Putting a little window dressing on something and calling it your own creation does not make it so. Just ask any plagiarist.

I'm really tired of Debian fans pretending that Ubuntu is nothing more than a sub-par Debian derivative. Ubuntu has it's own identity with it's own repositories, it's own userbase, it's own devs. Ubuntu has grown into a distro of it's own. Hence the Ubuntu based distros showing up like weeds in the grass.

Long live Ubuntu.

See above story and accompanying moral. I'll bet you a million dollars that if tomorrow, Debian were to close up shop and shut down all their repos, Ubuntu would cease to exist the following day.

Also, Ubuntu-based distros spring up like weeds because of Remastersys, not because it's such a good product. Remastersys makes it easy to repack Ubuntu any way you like, and call it whatever you want.

There's a reason Debian, Fedora, Arch, Suse, Gentoo, et al, don't have a hundred spinoffs: It takes actual work and knowledge of how Linux is put together to do it.

toupeiro
March 5th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Ubuntu was held up by a small group of developers who loved it enough for it to be usable by the masses. Well, now the masses have it, and the masses have short memories and loud mouths. Its the price you have to pay for the growth of this OS. I don't like it, but I accept it. I'll help those who really want help. I don't really care about complaints for the sake of complaining. Its my mouse, I'll click on what I want. :P

See above story and accompanying moral. I'll bet you a million dollars that if tomorrow, Debian were to close up shop and shut down all their repos, Ubuntu would cease to exist the following day.

I'll take that bet... I don't have a million dollars, but as soon as Debian closes up shop, I will...

Post Monkeh
March 5th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I'll bet you a million dollars that if tomorrow, Debian were to close up shop and shut down all their repos, Ubuntu would cease to exist the following day.

i bet you a billion pounds that you're wrong.

Uncle Spellbinder
March 5th, 2010, 06:58 PM
There's a reason Debian, Fedora, Arch, Suse, Gentoo, et al, don't have a hundred spinoffs: It takes actual work and knowledge of how Linux is put together to do it.

Oh. I see. Ubuntu devs do nothing. Just sit around, wait for some new Debian material, package it as Ubuntu and take the credit. I got it.

Thanks.

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I'm going to go out and buy a new Honda. I'm going to put some rims on it, tint the windows, add some zebra-skin seat covers, and hang some fuzzy pink dice from the rear-view mirror. Then, by your logic, I no longer own or drive a Honda, I'm driving a Detroit/Zero, a creation not from the Honda engineering and design labs in Japan, but my own, original brainchild conceived and built in good ol' Detroit, MI.

See anything ironic about the arguments you made?

Tibuda
March 5th, 2010, 07:19 PM
So true... lol

Also, Ubuntu-based distros spring up like weeds because of Remastersys, not because it's such a good product. Remastersys makes it easy to repack Ubuntu any way you like, and call it whatever you want.

Actually, Remastersys works for Debian too... but there are more Ubuntu spinoffs because Ubuntu have more users. This does not mean Ubuntu is the best Linux distro (unless you agree that Windows is the best OS).

MisfitI38
March 5th, 2010, 07:21 PM
..Ubuntu devs do nothing. Just sit around, wait for some new Debian material, package it as Ubuntu and take the credit...

I largely agree, but not completely.

toupeiro
March 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Yeah, Detroit, you really should check your facts. Redhat closely rivals debian in OS forks. However, your "actual work" statement and its intended meaning is purely flame-bait and holds no merit at all.

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Truth is people only hear what they want to. Credit was given to Debian, but people will ignore that, and pretend I said Ubuntu did this all by themselves. All I said is that it's ignorant to say the Ubuntu devs do nothing. Ubuntu just sprouts out of the ground. There is 0 effort involved. They just take a snapshot of Debian unstable, wave their magic wands, and poof it's a Ubuntu, on time, and ready to go.

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I would like to know what canonical has done themself that truly makes it different.

All they do is -

Take the debain packages and repackage them for ubuntu.

Make a crappy theme.

Make some half working programs and toss it in.

Really canicoal has done hardly jack crap for ubuntu or linux in general.

Infact last I checked they only gave 100 patchs to the kernel where as gentoo and others have given close to 1000.

Face the facts they don't care about you they care about the money.

Oh wait wait I did forget they do break things with each new release .

detroit/zero
March 5th, 2010, 07:44 PM
All I said is that it's ignorant to say the Ubuntu devs do nothing. Ubuntu just sprouts out of the ground. There is 0 effort involved. They just take a snapshot of Debian unstable, wave their magic wands, and poof it's a Ubuntu, on time, and ready to go.
Well, then - what is it, exactly, that Ubuntu has given the world? What are some Ubuntu-only developments in the Linux world?

Ubuntu One - because before Ubuntu, online storage was completely unheard of.
Desktop Facebook/Twitter integration... Coming soon! - Yeah, maybe it's great if you care about Facespace or MyBook or whatever.
The Software Store Center - A front end for a front end for a front end for a front end for a package manager... Awesome idea!
Orange and brown artwork - An excellent design choice
Bongo drums as a login sound - Another excellent design choice
Ubuntu specific kernel patches - Because I don't mind my USB file transfers going 1.3 Mb/s

.... and the list is growing day by day.

In all seriousness, though, I don't mind Ubuntu and it's one of the handful of distros I can actually tolerate for any extended period of time. But for you guys to sit around and talk like Ubuntu is the greatest thing ever and the Ubuntu "devs" are the second coming of Christ is ridiculous.

Burn the heretic!

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Well, then - what is it, exactly, that Ubuntu has given the world? What are some Ubuntu-only developments in the Linux world?

Desktop Facebook/Twitter integration... Coming soon! - Yeah, maybe it's great if you care about Facespace or MyBook or whatever.
The Software Store Center - A front end for a front end for a front end for a front end for a package manager... Awesome idea!
Ubuntu specific kernel patches - Because I don't mind my USB file transfers going 1.3 Mb/s

In all seriousness, though, I don't mind Ubuntu and it's one of the handful of distros I can actually tolerate for any extended period of time. But for you guys to sit around and talk like Ubuntu is the greatest thing ever and the Ubuntu "devs" are the second coming of Christ is ridiculous.

Burn the heretic!
Nicely said my post looks like **** compared to yours.. I need to learn from your greatness.

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I would like to know what canonical has done themself that truly makes it different.

All they do is -

Take the debain packages and repackage them for ubuntu.

Make a crappy theme.

Make some half working programs and toss it in.

Really canicoal has done hardly jack crap for ubuntu or linux in general.

Infact last I checked they only gave 100 patchs to the kernel where as gentoo and others have given close to 1000.

Face the facts they don't care about you they care about the money.

Oh wait wait I did forget they do break things with each new release .

How many patches have you contributed to the Linux Kernel? What about Ship it? Making sure people that have slow internet, or no Internet can get a copy. These people aren't making Ubuntu any money. What about these forums that you use to bash them? If you have such a huge problem with Ubuntu, why use these forums?

KiwiNZ
March 5th, 2010, 07:49 PM
If people dont like Ubuntu they can fix that ...... dont use it and dont moan about it

If people dont like Ubuntu Forums WE can fix that for you :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 07:51 PM
How many patches have you contributed to the Linux Kernel? What about Ship it? Making sure people that have slow internet, or no Internet can get a copy. These people aren't making Ubuntu any money. What about these forums that you use to bash them? If you have such a huge problem with Ubuntu, why use these forums?
Well believe it or not I did donate to the linux kernal via paypal. Besides what does it matter what I have done for the kernal.. we are talking about Canonical a business that "supports" linux.

Ahh yes shipit that is one nice idea that came from them.

These forums were not started by canonical infact before canonical bought the forums it seemed like a more honest place.

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 07:52 PM

Burn the heretic!

What about driver finder? What about codec finder? What about Launchpad? Not the second coming of Christ. How do you get that from Ubuntu takes alot of work to create. Give them some credit.

J_Stanton
March 5th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Truth is people only hear what they want to. Credit was given to Debian, but people will ignore that, and pretend I said Ubuntu did this all by themselves. All I said is that it's ignorant to say the Ubuntu devs do nothing. Ubuntu just sprouts out of the ground. There is 0 effort involved. They just take a snapshot of Debian unstable, wave their magic wands, and poof it's a Ubuntu, on time, and ready to go. you are wasting your time trying to convince the haters. it seems this forum is populated by a lot of pubescent alpha males that think they know everything.

koenn
March 5th, 2010, 07:56 PM

They've giving the world a desktop linux that appeals to users outside the geek/hacker scene. No other distro succeeded at that before Ubuntu.

And if that's their contribution to "linux in general" in stead of more lines of kernel code, that's fine by me.

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 07:58 PM
They've giving the world a desktop linux that appeals to users outside the geek/hacker scene. No other distro succeeded at that before Ubuntu.

Uhmm what lol..

Mandriva when it was called Mandrake got linux into the world before anyone else did.

Hell they had boxes in walmart and other places..

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Well believe it or not I did donate to the linux kernal via paypal.

Didn't Canonical donate $10 million to this project? What makes you think they haven't donated to the Linux project?

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Uhmm what lol..

Mandriva when it was called Mandrake got linux into the world before anyone else did.

Yeah so did Linspire Right? :rolleyes: Not even close, and you know it.

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Didn't Canonical donate $10 million to this project? What makes you think they haven't donated to the Linux project?

They gave 10 mil to ubuntu yes not to the kernel...

PuddingKnife
March 5th, 2010, 08:02 PM
If it were not for Ubuntu, I wouldnt have heard about nor given a hoot about Linux. Repeat x 1,000,000 ..

People complain about Canonical not helping with the kernel? Red Hat has given more code? I believe they've been around a lot longer too.

Im very grateful for what Debian/Canonical have created together.

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Yeah so did Linspire Right? :rolleyes: Not even close, and you know it.

Where did linspire come into play lol...

It is true and yes I do know it. Ignore it all you want but ubuntu only reopened eyes. It was not the first time...

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 08:03 PM
If it were not for Ubuntu, I wouldnt have heard about nor given a hoot about Linux. Repeat x 1,000,000 ..

People complain about Canonical not helping with the kernel? Red Hat has given more code? I believe they've been around a lot longer too.

Im very grateful for what Debian/Canonical have created together.

Well Canicoal has been around what 6 years now? You would think they would have given more code by now.

Icehuck
March 5th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Uhmm what lol..

I am going to reject your reality and create my own.

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I lol'd

Meh the spell check is broken :(.

cariboo
March 5th, 2010, 08:05 PM
A lot of you seem to be living in the past, it true Canonical didn't contribute upstream at first. Now even Fedora is using software designed and produced by Ubuntu developers. Check out the upstart wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstart) page.

As far as Canonical doing nothing for Debian, check out this (http://www.osnews.com/story/21970/Shuttleworth_Offers_Canonical_Employees_to_Debian) article.

You may also want to have a look at this (http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2008/09/17/greg-kh-linux-ecosystem/) article.

I'm not trying to defend Canonical/Ubuntu, but if you are going to make any statements, back them up with proof

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 08:06 PM

How do you know they don't donate to the kernel?

23meg
March 5th, 2010, 08:07 PM
A lot of you seem to be living in the past, it true Canonical didn't contribute upstream at first. Now even Fedora is using software designed and produced by Ubuntu developers. Check out the upstart wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstart) page.

As far as Canonical doing nothing for Debian, check out this (http://www.osnews.com/story/21970/Shuttleworth_Offers_Canonical_Employees_to_Debian) article.

You may also want to have a look at this (http://http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2008/09/17/greg-kh-linux-ecosystem/) article.

I'm not trying to defend Canonical/Ubuntu, but if you are going to make any statements, back them up with proof

Let me add https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Website/Content/UbuntuContributions , which is an in-progress non-exhaustive list.

KiwiNZ
March 5th, 2010, 08:07 PM

And you are fully privy to Canonicals' financial transactions ?

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 08:08 PM
How do you know they don't donate to the kernel?

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/UbuntuFoundation thats how.

Edit: Oh if you mean code it has been known for awhile now. Here is a nice link - http://www.punknix.com/node/119 oh and here is a better link - http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/lpc_2008_keynote.html

@ Kiwins no I am no spy or anything its just they said so themself. Also due to them tweaking the kernel they have to proof the bug is also in the vanilla kernel before they can even submit a patch. Or something like that. Let me find that article lol.

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 08:10 PM

You may also want to have a look at this (http://http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2008/09/17/greg-kh-linux-ecosystem/) article.

It's blind hatred. I don't know where it comes from, or why, but it's there. They don't want to know the truth. They just want to pretend that Ubuntu is an entity that just just exist, and no one has to put any effort into it.

hhh
March 5th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Re: Mandrake preinstalled @ Walmart, why are so many people on this forum allergic to search engines?

http://www.neowin.net/news/preinstalled-mandrake-linux-pcs-go-live-at-walmart

RiceMonster
If Canonical really is contributing more to upstream projects, as people are stating, then that's a good thing. I think Linux vendors can really benefit from developing this way.

swoll1980

I didn't see the part in there were it says they have not, nor will ever donate to the Linux project.

koenn
March 5th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Uhmm what lol..

Yeah, I've heard about them, they were the user-friendly linux of the late nineties. They never achieved the level of adoption by non-geeks the way ubuntu has, though. Plus, they didn't last, apparently. While Ubuntu seems to be rather succesful, so far.

phrostbyte
March 5th, 2010, 08:15 PM
It's blind hatred. I don't know where it comes from, or why, but it's there. They don't want to know the truth. They just want to pretend that Ubuntu is an entity that just just exist, and no one has to put any effort into it.

Because Ubuntu is the most popular distro. Anyone who hates Linux is going to hate Ubuntu the most. Anyone who uses other distro and mad/jealous that their distro is not #1 is going to hate Ubuntu. Thus Ubuntu is going to get a lot of hate. But don't let the haters keep you down. You are better then them. :)

RiceMonster
March 5th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I've heard about them, they were the user-friendly linux of the late nineties. They never achieved the level of adoption by non-geeks the way ubuntu has, though. Plus, they didn't last, apparently. While Ubuntu seems to be rather succesful, so far.

key word: so far.

Is Canonical profitable yet? Last I heard they weren't but I don't know how outdated that was.

Icehuck
March 5th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I've heard about them, they were the user-friendly linux of the late nineties. They never achieved the level of adoption by non-geeks the way ubuntu has, though. Plus, they didn't last, apparently. While Ubuntu seems to be rather successful, so far.

Did I miss something? Is Mandriva not around anymore?

If you have used Linux for a while now, you would have realized the most popular distributions changes every few years. At one time it was Fedora, at another time it was Mandrake, and right now it's Ubuntu. Did any of these distributions do anything revolutionary? No.

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I've heard about them, they were the user-friendly linux of the late nineties. They never achieved the level of adoption by non-geeks the way ubuntu has, though. Plus, they didn't last, apparently. While Ubuntu seems to be rather successful, so far.

Uhmm didn't last? They are still around as mandriva. Also look above they were preinstalled on computers at walmart..

koenn
March 5th, 2010, 08:20 PM
key word: so far.

Is Canonical profitable yet? Last I heard they weren't but I don't know how outdated that was.

they still exist, and i've heard no rumours of them going out of business.
Mandraken, otoh, ...

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Edit: Oh if you mean code it has been known for awhile now. Here is a nice link - http://www.punknix.com/node/119 oh and here is a better link - http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/lpc_2008_keynote.html

@ Kiwins no I am no spy or anything its just they said so themself. Also due to them tweaking the kernel they have to proof the bug is also in the vanilla kernel before they can even submit a patch. Or something like that. Let me find that article lol.

I was talking about money. How could you possibly know that they don't donate money to the Linux project.

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Because Ubuntu is the most popular distro. Anyone who hates Linux is going to hate Ubuntu the most. Anyone who uses other distro and mad/jealous that their distro is not #1 is going to hate Ubuntu. Thus Ubuntu is going to get a lot of hate. But don't let the haters keep you down. You are better then them. :)

jealous uhmm I think not. As icehuck said others have been number one,but never bashed on this hard. You know why they didn't lie as much.(well okay fedora had some people that did)

koenn
March 5th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Did I miss something? Is Mandriva not around anymore?

No, what I meant is: they were the talk of the town in 1999 (the year of the linux desktop), but today they're no longer a factor in desktop linux adoption.

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I was talking about money. How could you possibly know that they don't donate money to the Linux project.

They have only donated to ubuntu Straight from the first link -

The Foundation was established on July 1st 2005 with an initial funding commitment of US$10 million, to ensure the continuity of the Ubuntu project and create a legal vehicle that represents the community structures of the project.

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 08:25 PM
No, what I meant is: they were the talk of the town in 1999 (the year of the linux desktop), but today they're no longer a factor in desktop linux adoption.

So 1999 was the year of the linux desktop eh? Then why does everyone think 2010 is O.o?

Oh and mandriva is still a major factor. Along with Opensuse,Fedora,and others.

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 08:27 PM
jealous uhmm I think not. As icehuck said others have been number one,but never bashed on this hard. You know why they didn't lie as much.(well okay fedora had some people that did)

So now that all the talk about how they don't do anything was shutdown, we will say the bashing is because they're liars. Un freakin believable.

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 08:28 PM
So now that all the talk about how they don't do anything was shutdown, we will say the bashing is because they're liars. Un freakin believable.

By they I meant their community ;)

as2000
March 5th, 2010, 08:28 PM
It's quite simple. Trolls.

TuckLive
March 5th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I'm late to this thread, but it disgusts me to see how many people have showed complete disrespect for Canonical and Ubuntu. If you disagree with business decisions, themes, and application choices then GET INVOLVED or email Mark Shuttleworth and tell him your thoughts. Calling Devs useless will not achieve a thing. Showing disrespect for Canonical on a forum will not change things either.

I'm really not an Ubuntu fanboy, but I'm pretty upset at the tone of posts recently. There is no need for it.

KiwiNZ
March 5th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!

cariboo
March 5th, 2010, 08:32 PM

You obviously didn't read this (http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2008/09/17/greg-kh-linux-ecosystem/) (I fixed the broken link) that refutes your links.

ibuclaw
March 5th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I think some people should really consider re-reading the following material:
Forum Criticism FAQ (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=408514)
The preferred tone and tenor in the Cafe (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1405390)