PDA

View Full Version : Damage Microsoft

WitchCraft
March 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Hey everybody, just stumbled over this jewel here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/03/microsoft_sues_joe_does/

Thought some of you might not have heard of it.

The MS-Cashback program is still in use, so I thought I let you know. Don't miss an opportunity to damage MS.

Collect your bribe, then go back using google ;-))

Psumi
March 5th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Refund only applies to OEM, and you MUST contact the provider of the OEM (usually the company who makes the computer; IE: Dell.)

Most companies no longer give you a Windows refund, like Gateway.

ASUS gives about 20 USD worth.

Oh and, why would anyone use that search engine?

See what I did there?

Tristam Green
March 5th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Cade Metz is a tool, on par with Ted Dziuba.

squilookle
March 5th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Hey everybody, just stumbled over this jewel here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/03/microsoft_sues_joe_does/

Thought some of you might not have heard of it.

The MS-Cashback program is still in use, so I thought I let you know. Don't miss an opportunity to damage MS.

Collect your bribe, then go back using google ;-))

The article you linked to was published in June 2009.

EDIT: But you did state the program is still in use, fair enough.

Also, we don't need to "damage" Microsoft. They're a big company that do alot of different things. There may be alot of stuff they do wrong, but there is stuff they do right too.

Simon17
March 5th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Refund only applies to OEM, and you MUST contact the provider of the OEM (usually the company who makes the computer; IE: Dell.)

Most companies no longer give you a Windows refund, like Gateway.

ASUS gives about 20 USD worth.

Oh and, why would anyone use that search engine?

See what I did there?

He ain't talking about refunds. He's talking about defrauding Microsoft and Ebay by abusing their cashback system.

xpod
March 5th, 2010, 10:28 PM
He ain't talking about refunds. He's talking about defrauding Microsoft and Ebay by abusing their cashback system.

That has to be a bigger, sadder waste of time(and probably money in the long run) than chasing refunds on legitimate licences.

Johnsie
March 5th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I have no problem with Microsoft and like many of their products. My problem is with Apple. Thery are alot worse.

Simon17
March 5th, 2010, 10:32 PM
You're right xpod, it is. The main reason being that it's illegal and they can sue you to get their money back.

forrestcupp
March 5th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Lol. Another article from The Register.

Johnsie
March 5th, 2010, 10:40 PM
ps. If people actually made Linux better you wouldn't need to do this kind of thing.

whiskeylover
March 5th, 2010, 10:55 PM
i have no problem with microsoft and like many of their products. My problem is with apple. Thery are alot worse.

+1

xpod
March 6th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I have no problem with Microsoft and like many of their products. My problem is with Apple. Thery are alot worse.

Personally i have no problem with any one of them. I wouldn`t though considering i dont use any of them.

katie-xx
March 6th, 2010, 12:41 AM
But why o why would anyone want to damage Microsoft?

its just such a pain that people think like that. Think of all the good things they have done as well as thinking about their bad business practices.

They have built the absolutely best programming environments anywhere on the planet IMHO. Nothing can beat Visual Studio.
They have actively encouraged developers and have pioneered so many technologies over the years.
The .Net Framework for example is remarkable piece of work.
They also provide what is probably the best available support for their contracted customers and are prepared to work with third party software companies to help get new software running on their systems.

They have also been arrogant monopolists and have been taken to court by the EU and told to pull their horns in. Its about time the USA took a similar stance against them.
They have also produced a lot of basically bad products. IMHO, the worst being DCOM. and they were a long time catching on about security issues.

They are just a company though, the same as any other, and it just doesnt make sense to want to damage them.

Be nice :)

Kate

fatality_uk
March 6th, 2010, 10:28 AM
That has to be a bigger, sadder waste of time(and probably money in the long run) than chasing refunds on legitimate licences.

100%. Like a flea trying to get a Whales attention by biting it's tail!!

K.Mandla
March 6th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Lol. Another article from The Register.
+1. I have begun to look at The Register in the same way I look at OMGUbuntu.

icyzer
March 6th, 2010, 12:52 PM
What's wrong with OmgUbuntu?

WitchCraft
March 6th, 2010, 01:56 PM

I agree that Apple is a LOT worse than MS, but I actually (have to) use many of their products (Vista x64, Office 2010, Visual Studio 2005/2008/2010, ASP.NET, IIS, IE, Windows Installer, Windows Services, Outlook, ReportingServices) for work, including proprietary file formats like xls, doc, mdb, etc. .

IMHO, there's no telling of which of the products above are worse or have more bugs in them, and I'm not even talking about security.

I prefer Linux over Windows.
I prefer OpenOffice over Office 2007/2010
I prefer Geany over Visual Studio
I prefer PHP over ASP.NET
I prefer LightHttp over IIS,
I prefer Chrome/Firefox over IE
I (very much) prefer writing a .deb over writing a windows installer
I prefer a deamon over a windows service,
I prefer ThunderBird over Outlook,
I prefer SSHFS over Windows Shares
I prefer Java over .NET (for licensing/patent reasons, not technical)
I prefer PostGre over MS-SQL
I prefer client/server apps over webapps
and very recently I've come to prefer text config files over registry or GUI configuration.

And I still don't know why anybody needs reporting services.
But I understand they're ready to pay for it (don't know and seriously doubt if they ever use the data, or if the data is correct).