PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is this set up for sun JDK? ...i dont think so, can u assist!

honey toast
March 5th, 2010, 09:36 AM
can someone help me set my manually installed eclipse 3.5 to use my sunjdk 1.0.6.18 that i downloaded from the sun website?. Right now java -version, says this :

java version "1.6.0_15"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 14.1-b02, mixed mode)

I know i need to change my paths somehow, and sow I tried to insert this:

sudo echo "export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_18/bin/java" >> /etc/profile
along with this...
sudo echo "export PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_18/bin" >> /etc/profile

but the terminal only returns this...

bash: /etc/profile: Permission denied

and so I manually went into profile and inserted the two paths up above in there and saved and still nothing happened. I tried the same thing with the bash.bashrc file to no avail.

I don't know what all the talk is about some file called JAVA_HOME because I have never seen it, and I cannot find it anywhere on my file system hierarchy.

when I sudo update alternatives --config i get this:

update-alternatives: warning: alternative /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java (part of link group java) doesn't exist. Removing from list of alternatives.
There are 1 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

Selection Path Priority Status
------------------------------------------------------------
0 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java 63 auto mode
* 1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java 63 manual mode

Does is look good or what? All i see is the jre, but I will be doing developing with my eclipse in Java and C, so I think I would need the JDK yes?...no? Any insight would be great.

darkod
March 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Did you install the downloaded JDK? Also, I'm not sure what the difference is between downloaded from Sun website, but you have JDK in ubuntu repositories.

Either use Synaptic and search for sun-java6-jdk or just do in terminal:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

That will take care of everything, including dependencies. After that you should have no problem making Eclipse use it.

honey toast
March 5th, 2010, 10:39 AM
no i didn't install it through synaptic, instead, I went to the sun microsystems website and dl-ed from there. I guess I can try the synaptic, but i kinda wanted the new release. I've got the new release sitting in /usr/lib/jvm but i don't know how to configure it to work.

darkod
March 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM
no i didn't install it through synaptic, instead, I went to the sun microsystems website and dl-ed from there. I guess I can try the synaptic, but i kinda wanted the new release. I've got the new release sitting in /usr/lib/jvm but i don't know how to configure it to work.

My question was did you install it at all? Just downloading doesn't install it automatically, as far as I know.
If you didn't install it, Eclipse can't find it.

Mighty_Joe
March 5th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Yea, there's a little more to the process than downloading the JDK. Have a look at these instructions (http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java).

honey toast
March 6th, 2010, 07:02 AM
OK- I made the corrections that I wanted. :PThanks for posting that M. Joe. It was very clear and easy to follow. I'm going to close up the thread now.

protiss
March 15th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Sorry if this is a little old - I just started learning Linux and this worked perfectly for me ... (http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java).

However, I'm trying to actually understand what I do, in lieu of just doing what someone tells me to - so that maybe one day I won't have to research what to do.

Anyway, I downloaded and was able to extract the files properly, I just couldn't get my system to actually install (java -version still showing 6.15). I understand all of the commands (moving the files, even the purpose of the chmod), however I'm having difficulty with letting the system know to use the new java version.....

sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/opt/java/32/jre1.6.0_18/bin/java" 1.

so I'm going to break down the (minimal) parts I understand, that way someone doesn't have to explain everything..

sudo - got it...

through the first operand, I'm pretty clear. I'm assuming the update-alternatives command is telling it it's not something it's going to find in one of the normal repositories, vice apt.

install "/usr/bin/java" - telling it the location to install?

"java" not really sure what this is about. are we just letting the system know we're modifying software named "java" (don't overkill this, I know what java is, just asking if that's telling linux what it's supposed to be playing with).

"/opt/java/32/...." - got it. directory we originally extracted to.

1 - no clue what this is for.

So basically, are we doing:
sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/[program]" "[linux-program-identifier]" "[location of extracted files]" X?

Where X= some number which I'm sure will be much more clear once someone responds?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mighty_Joe
March 16th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Like every other command in a Unix system, you can type:

man update-alternatives
to get documentation:

DESCRIPTION
It is possible for several programs fulfilling the same or similar functions
to be installed on a single system at the same time. For example, many
systems have several text editors installed at once. . .
Debian's alternatives system aims to solve this problem.

protiss
March 16th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I know the man command. My apologies for thinking someone would actually be helpful - so glad I registered... So, if we can always just refer people back to the man command, why is the forum here?

"hey, I can't mount something" >>
"man mount" >>
"oh, thanks"

Maybe I need to check the Fedora forums lol.

Mighty_Joe
March 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Have a look at: How to ask questions the smart way (http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html)

GregBrannon
March 16th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Considering that you said,

However, I'm trying to actually understand what I do, in lieu of just doing what someone tells me to - so that maybe one day I won't have to research what to do.

Mighty_Joe's response was appropriate. Your response was not, but we all have bad days. Here's hoping that you're having a better one.

protiss
March 16th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I understand his response was correct. That doesn't make it friendly or welcoming. And the manual doesn't always answer everything. Example (yes I know this doesn't belong in this thread but I doubt I'd get an answer even if I asked it).

That 'mount' comment from earlier wasn't by chance. Trying to mount an .iso with windows files on it.

Doesn't matter if you -o loop it, it needs wine to run and the permissions are different under sudo/root than admin, so wine won't run it. Supposedly from forums if you mount to /media/cdrom0 it'll let you use wine. That doesn't work. Manual doesn't help.

Anyway, I'll just have to figure that one out on my own - just pointing out that the manual isn't always easy to understand and it doesn't always answer questions. People (who have been doing this a long, long time) however, probably do understand, and probably could help, or explain it in a different manner. So yes, his answer was great, and I've checked it out - I guess I had just always heard that linux was like a family of people who liked to help each other learn. I guess, however, that I was somewhat mistaken.